8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why shooting on Super 8? Dagie knows...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why shooting on Super 8? Dagie knows...
Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2011 10:26 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
schmalfilm magazine took the opportunity to shoot a last roll of Kodachrome - a very special one: a cartridge with 60 meters of Live Sound film, produced more than 25 years ago. It was processed at the end of December 2010, in the last days of the Kodachrome era at Dwayne's, Kansas, USA. We asked 10 German filmmakers why they are using Super 8. Have a look at those brilliant colors - even if it is winter and the film is 25 years old! We did not change anything at all. This commercial is the first one in a series to promote Super 8 and schmalfilm magazine. We will use it as a viral campaign and on festival screenings.

Here you may see it:

www.schmalfilm.de (first in News section)
or
http://vimeo.com/channels/schmalfilm
or
http://www.youtube.com/schmalfilmmagazin

In German only - sorry [Wink]

Shoot!
Juergen

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 04, 2011 07:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's amazing!

I've never owned a sound camera and up until I saw that footage I didn't really regret it either.

Too late!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2011 09:58 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Vimeo link there's some neat footage of the Bolex factory in operation. I wish it was in English.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 05, 2011 03:19 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its wonderful to see some younger people using a sound super 8 camera and I’m sure so many of us remember using rolls and rolls of Kodachrome sound cartridges in the 70’s and more recently. We will have to start a series of video clips projecting our first ever rolls Sound Kodachrome. From memory my first effort would be in latter part of 1974 using one of the Kodak Ektasound cameras making a story film and just a very young boy at that. Here I go reminiscing again. [Roll Eyes]

[ February 09, 2011, 06:56 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2011 03:01 PM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

no need to regret. It looks like there will be new sound film in Single 8 and Super 8 cartridges soon. schmalfilm will publish a report about a Spanisch inventor in the next issue.

Hi Bryan,

we are showing the Bolex films on vimeo in French, that is true. But I know that these films are also existing in a German and in an English version. Perhaps we will get it some day to show it in our vimeo channel

http://vimeo.com/channels/schmalfilm

web page

Thanks for your nice comments. Juergen

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 06, 2011 04:13 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is beautiful footage. I loved Kodachrome! The K25 was the best stock that I ever filmed with-

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2011 03:25 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting about a possible new sound Super 8 cartridge Juergen. I'd really like to know how this is possible given that Kodak will be wanting presumably substantial funds for use of their patented cartridge.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2011 04:36 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
........indeed fantastic news Juergen-wunderbar!!
Should I start looking at eBay for a sound camera then [Cool]

--------------------
Yannis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 07, 2011 07:18 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kodak will be wanting presumably substantial funds for use of their patented cartridge.
John.... patent is not forever. It will expire after (if not mistaken) 25 years, unless the holder extend it. But since it is no longer made I doubt Kodak will extend this.

It can be seen that many companies have done re-packing Kodak/Fuji stock to Kodak cartridge style without any problem.

My 2 cents though

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 09, 2011 07:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I throw in 2 bobs worth as well?

As we witnessed the gradual Kodak switch off for Super 8 sound cartridges over recent years I doubt if they will renew anything. We also used to visit the Hemel Hempstead Kodak building each year when taking kids from our Church on trips nearby and chatting to staff, things were going down with a lack of interest. Last time we were near the building it was was closed up which was a bit sad to see. Think it was in 2004 they announced they would concentrate more on Digital so we can see where they are going for domestic users. Ironic then that the guy who invented the Digital Camera actually worked for Kodak as well?

Considering the Queens Coronation was filmed in 1953 by Walton Films on 16mm Kodachrome you might have thought she would step in and save the emulsion as a state treasure. [Roll Eyes]

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2011 11:01 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody,

a second clip is online. Have a look:

www.schmalfilm.de
or
http://www.vimeo.com/19784794
or
http://www.youtube.com/schmalfilmmagazin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC