8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Greasing of Elmo SC-18 projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greasing of Elmo SC-18 projector
Arvind Kumar Jain
Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2011 09:52 PM      Profile for Arvind Kumar Jain   Email Arvind Kumar Jain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi:Everybody

I am back again. In my previous post, I meant What type of grease for gears and oil are used for lubricating the above projector. Sometimes ago,I saw a very good post regarding the above in one of the forums but I forgot which forum.If anybody out there knows the forum for procedure of greasing the 8mm projector, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
Arvind

|  IP: Logged

Arvind Kumar Jain
Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2011 10:30 PM      Profile for Arvind Kumar Jain   Email Arvind Kumar Jain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everybody: After reading all of the posts which were posted with in couple of days in this forum, it seems like it is ok to use Silicone or Teflon based grease for plastic/nylone gears and Lithium based grease for metal to metal gears in the Elmo SC-18 HiVision super 8mm projector and a light singer machine oil for shafts etc . The Elmo manual which I have does not mention any kind of grease or oil.Comments will be very much appreciated from all of the Pundits in this forum.
I have lots of super 8mm SOUND home movies which I shot during the years which I would like to DIY at home using tha above projector and a Hitachi camcorder flicker free. Any ideas please.

Thanks a lot!

Arvind

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 24, 2011 01:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Arvind, welcome to the forum. You are on the right track with the aformentioned products as it's hard to locate original items. Clean the machine thoroughly and use lubricant sparingly. Don't spill on parts that would end up slipping (belt...)
I keep an Elmo SC18 (as well as a SC8 and a SC30) at hometp check my prints, I love these projectors.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Arvind Kumar Jain
Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2011 06:57 PM      Profile for Arvind Kumar Jain   Email Arvind Kumar Jain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean: Thanks for getting back to me quickly. For transferring super 8 mm film with sound to DVD (I think) is really hard because of the flicker. The problem is that if we reduce the film speed to 20fps on the projector to reduce flicker then the sound becomes distorted - something like " chip munk type" because the film was shot at speed of 24fps. I heard that if the DVD camcorder shutter speed can be adjusted to 1/60, then the flicker can be controlled. I am using the Hitachi DVD camcorder model # DZMV550A. NTSC and I tried to go over the Manual and could not find a way to reduce the shutter speed. Help from this forum will be very much appreciated if possible.
Thanks,
Arvind

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 25, 2011 07:42 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arvind,

Several factors here:
- The Elmo SC18, despite what a lot of people think, is not a telecine machine. The Elmo line of transfer projectors are usually labelled "TRV" and feature five blade shutters as well as adjustable speed. Ideally, you need a pulse-synched machine (Elmo GS1200, Braun visacustic 2000, top of the line from Bauer…) with a device that will lock the projector's motor at the exact frame speed for video. NTSC is 23,976 fps. Remember that the built-in screen wasn't sold as a transfer accessory but as a daylight viewing device.
- The 12v100w lamp will definitely give you a "hot spot", ie - a much brighter rounded area at the center of the taped image. This can be solved by using a modified lamp fitted with low wattage LEDs, I found some on Ebay.
- Your camcorder seems to be an average family-type camcorder and it probably features a very limited access to settings such as iris and shutter speed.

Your best bet is not to use the built-in screen, project your films on a white mate surface, using the longer lens for a crisper image and no hot spot and shoot said image by putting the camera either on the side or on top of the projector.
You can then try to solve the flicker issue by trial and error with different shutter settings of the camcorder and the speed of the projector. You can adjust the projector's speed with a small plastic screwdriver on a small trimming pot inside the machine (see pictures)
Record sound separately (reshoot the film at 24fps and keep the sound) assemble both image and sound in a non linear editing software.

Have fun.

-

-

--------------------

Arvind Kumar Jain
Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2011 10:00 PM      Profile for Arvind Kumar Jain   Email Arvind Kumar Jain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean: Thanks a lot for your reply to my problems. Seems like you are a Guru in handling 8mm film problems.Could you please let me know what is the wattage of the led lamp which you are talking about in your post?
About the sound recording, I saw a post in a forum for sound recording without chipmunk type sound which state that we can use "Digital Pitchtraq device" in between the line from projectors AUX IN to camcorders AV input/output jack by using RCA wires.But the problem is where to buy this so called digital pitchtraq device and is it very costly ?I am not a computer expert guy.
Once again, thanks a lot for your input and a nice photo of the projector's potentiometer location.I really appreciated it.

Arvind
[Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 25, 2011 10:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Arvind,

Welcome to the Forum! If you can get hold of a camera that records in the 24p mode, you won't need to worry about pitch correction. This is discussed briefly in this thread.

By the way, since this topic duplicates your earlier posting about the SC-18, I deleted that one.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Arvind Kumar Jain
Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2011 10:53 PM      Profile for Arvind Kumar Jain   Email Arvind Kumar Jain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug: Thanks for your info on using a camera that can shoot @24fps. I checked on that camera and it is very expensive that can go as high as $3000 or so. If I can find the cost of digital pitchtraq device and if it is not too costly, then I can try that in between the projector and my camera , otherwise I may want to try an outside professional photo shop to get the films transferred because it will be cheaper and good quality job than buying the 24fps camera and DIY. Any other comments shall be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Arvind

Thanks,

Arvind

Thanks,
Arvind

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 27, 2011 04:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arvind, a digital pitch track controller is a professionnal tool that can be found at music stores or audio equipment stores. Depending on the model, the cost is several hundreds of dollars. Adjusting pitch and sync is something that can easily be achieved with good non linear editing softwares but then again, if you confess not being a computer guy, this could be a problem.

You may ask yourself if you want to keep going with your project. Personnaly, I would go forward, just because it's great fun and there's a great sense of pride in keeping your family archives alive and doing it yourself.
But you're right, some professionnal companies can do a good quality job for you and save you considerable time.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC