8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » can kodachrome still be processed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can kodachrome still be processed?
John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2011 12:44 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies if this is a daft question but can kodachrome still be processed in any form. Someone I know came across an unprocessed film and asked.
I know some other old emulsions can be processed all be it the colours can suffer but is Kodachrome too complicated for this sort of treatment?
or, long shot, does any lab still have kodachrome chemicals?

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodachrome can ONLY be processed in BLACK AND WHITE...... FULL STOP.
There are NO facilities ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD for Colour processing of this material.
NO....NO....NO....NO!!!!

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 23, 2011 01:46 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 23, 2011 01:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about other planets or the possibility of time travel?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2011 04:26 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Martin. I'm glad it can be processed at all. Is there a UK based lab who can do this?
John

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 24, 2011 11:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is still offering processing for the Ektachrome stock, Kodachrome can be processed through those chemicals. The colors won't be quite right, but it's better than leaving it unprocessed.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2011 02:59 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Brad, I'll pass this information on,
John

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2011 03:14 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
By "the colors won't be quite right" I HOPE you meant to say that the BACK AND WHITE result will have an orange tint.
Or do you know something we don't know?
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 25, 2011 07:33 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If anyone is still offering processing for the Ektachrome stock,
and also Brad,

Which Ektachrome chemical you meant? because today's Ektachrome is done with E-6, but old Ektachrome is different.

--------------------
Winbert

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 26, 2011 12:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to the E160 Super 8mm stock that was so popular 20 years ago. For example, if you dropped off your K40 cartridge at a K-mart, they didn't send it to Kodak for true Kodachrome processing. They sent it out to a place that ran it all through the E160 chemicals (I don't recall the name of the chemicals, sorry). It worked and for most people it was fine, but it wasn't quite right.

I just realized upon your reply that the chemicals for processing E160 stock may not be made anymore though.

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2011 03:08 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that kodak kept the file of chemical formula for processing kodachrome film somewhere in their archives.

P.S. E160 process is actually named EM-26 but earlier version is EM-25. Just in case if you want to know. [Smile]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2011 05:22 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen,
there's no way Kodachrome processed in EM-26 or E-6 can yeld any colors: that's because there is no color at all in the emulsion of the Kodachrome: colors were added during processing (hence its extreme difficulty) whereas Ektachrome based film stocks do have color dyes in the emulsion. This also explains why K4o used to have a much longer shlef life than any other film stock.

--------------------
Maurizio

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2011 07:09 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, how and why when kodachrome film is expired it turns to pink because the red layer of the film is very low contrast by age. Green and blue might be stay the same depends on what conditions of storage of the roll.

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2011 12:35 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan, if what you are saying is evidence that Kodachrome contains color since manufacture, I am sorry to disagree with you. True it is very old K40 tended to yeld a pinkish cast when developed but that was just because the film is a 3-layer B/W emulsion (with filters inbetween each layer) so that each of them records a certain amount of light relative to red, or to blue or to green. During processing, each layer worked as a sponge, if I may say so, capturing a certain amount of color of that specific type. If one or more of the layers were not properly exposed (i.e. didn't receive the necessary amount of light to eventually trigger a balanced additive sinthesys), this resulted in a pinkish hue, because not enough dyes had been added to the film during processing.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC