8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » new s8 reels/trailers wanted ? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: new s8 reels/trailers wanted ?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 30, 2011 09:07 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I'm interested in older classics (although as Osi says it's important to take care to avoid previous releases) but I'd also love modern trailers to films like 'Black Swan'. Ged at Derann once mentioned an important point to me regarding modern titles: they sell better if you can get them out quickly around the time the film is released. This is understandable as it's fun to surprise your audience with something new and topical. I'll never forget the time I screened a CHC release that included a scope trailer to 'Terminator 3' in a show at least two months before the film were released. The audience was stunned! I appreciate that will be harder now, though.

I'd have to agree with John regarding scope; although some collectors don't have it, those that do often seem more orientated towards buying scope items. The recent release of the 'Avatar' trailer was a bit frustrating letterboxed and I'm sure it would have sold more in scope. Steve Osborne recently said that his current top seller was the scope trailer to 'Premature Burial'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 30, 2011 10:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not ruling out scope trailers either ...

Persoanlly, there is one modern trailer I would LOVE to find!

It was the very rarely seen, (only out there for a short bit) for the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I don't remember the exact running time, but it was almost like a short film. I think that it ran about six or eight minutes.

The funny thing is that I have nearly every trailer from this movie, but I believe that the three main trailers all scope and about three minutes each, have been released.

Some of thr trailers for our upcoming release are ...

Battle Beyond the Stars
Lifeforce
Outland

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Oli Heln
Junior

- posted April 30, 2011 10:41 AM      Profile for Oli Heln   Email Oli Heln   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ adrian

"..get them out quickly" regarding the modern ones:
that`s not so easy( just can tell about from my point of view
and the sources i can get my hands on).
what the movie companys deliver nowadays is more and more digital content. in fact since the digital projection came up the analog content is just about 30/40%. should i use the digital content as master sources? yeah, great! 2k/4k resolution transfer to celluloid and the whole calculation would explode!
and by the way do you know a real good attorney? [Eek!]
i`m not out for any kind of fight with the movie companys.

two real good arguments and i think you agree that the only way is to concentrate on 35mm as a master source. so coming back to the 30/40% analog content mentioned above, what does it mean in detail....
in the past you got a lot more trailers than you really need at your cinema. 5-8-10 of the same kind for each movie or more if there`s a trailer a-b-c etc. a lot of them fresh/unused find there way out to private collectors, printing labs etc.
so it`s not so extraordinary that terminator 3 and others were released on s8 before the movie runs officially on the big screen.
now the situation is totally different.
just my two cents and from my experiences over the years.
could write a lot more but a forum is just for posting and not for writing down a book [Big Grin] .

@osi

saw a lot of your postings the other night on a different forum.
you are talking about this upcoming release for roundabout a year now(?)...
would like to have a little talk with you away from here.
can i send you a email?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 30, 2011 12:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moist Cointianly you may!

Wooo wooo woooo!

Nyuk nyk

(that was a yes, by the way) [Smile]

--------------------

Oli Heln
Junior

- posted April 30, 2011 02:00 PM      Profile for Oli Heln   Email Oli Heln   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
osi, from here i can`t send you a pm or email.
this function seems to be disabled in your profile.
so please write to me over the mail function here and i get
your email address.

and generally i will check some new trailers tomorrow on the big screen. what should i put together and enjoy with a big cup of coffee or a cold one ...thinking of x-men first class, cowboys&aliens, source code, bad teacher....
a nice marvel reel would be also a good thing.
also closer plans for full features/edited versions coming up.
have to talk to some people in the next weeks.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 03, 2011 12:03 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One little suggestion I'd make - although you might already be thinking about this - is to come up with a good name, at least if you hope to release a reasonable number of items, basically because it sounds good. E.g. when Larry Arpin was selling trailer reels as "L.A. Films" it was quite an evocative name that enhanced both the sound of the company and the experience of buying the releases. You could maybe consider something like "OH-8 Films"!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andreas Borutta
Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2011 07:57 AM      Profile for Andreas Borutta   Email Andreas Borutta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello oli Heln
Nice ,that you want to bring out new super 8 mm trailers. I have in my collection enough trailer from old to new ,all on 35 mm ,german end english. So if you are interested to talk about this matter,give me an reply. I am a german,like you and my biggest love is the movie trailer.
greetings from germany
Andreas

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 04, 2011 10:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oli ...

toac2001@hotmail.com

there ...

--------------------

Ralf Hoff
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2011 03:06 AM      Profile for Ralf Hoff   Email Ralf Hoff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@oli

I've send you a mail/pm via this forum about the new releases. Did you get it????

Ralf Hoff

Cine 8-16 - the magazine for film making and film collecting
http://www.celluloidfilm.de

--------------------
Arbeits- & Interessengemeinschaft Celluloidfilm
Ehrenamtlich im Einsatz für das Film-Hobby

Cine 8-16
Das Magazin rund um den perforierten Film
www.celluloidfilm.de

Oli Heln
Junior

- posted June 07, 2011 07:22 PM      Profile for Oli Heln   Email Oli Heln   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some news ....

things are going not so fast as i would like it but it goes on and on.a first release this year, maybe around autumn or 2 should be possible.parallel working on a website for this project.
it`s necessary in the working process to step over the 16mm, so i`m thinking well.. why not 8 and 16mm ..(?)
beside all this i`m trying to buy some filmrights.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 07, 2011 08:37 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd certainly consider buying a 16mm version if it's an item I really want. In the old days, the cost was offputting, but nowadays it's very difficult to spend too much on new releases!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 08, 2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oli,

Thanks for the update. I hope this happens. Please keep us posted.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Oli Heln
Junior

- posted September 15, 2011 09:21 PM      Profile for Oli Heln   Email Oli Heln   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just want to leave a little update here ...

i`m still alive but had to concentrate on some other things.
back on board here i was shocked about what happend to derann
because i had in mind to visit the uk this year and say hello to the guys.
to give you a little update about releases...
the whole thing goes slower as expected and i will do a big jump
if i get some positive answers from some companys.
as we all know it`s depending on licenses. ok, some people don`t care about that but thats a different story.

in the meantime i talked to some guys, got some offers for master sources regarding older/classic movies in full lenght.
honestly, 90% of it was crap. the other 10% i will think about it, maybe good for some kind of selected scene reel.

thats it so far.

Oli Heln
Junior

- posted January 12, 2012 12:07 PM      Profile for Oli Heln   Email Oli Heln   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
back on board ;-)

2012 is not so fresh but let me say a happy and lucky year to all of you at first!
i had to care about some things for a while which came up unexpected and hit me with a little bang.
be sure the whole project is not dead! it goes on step by step.
the possibilities are growing and now it`s not only about trailers.

full lenght features are not in the discussion. not now nor in the near future but what do you think about edited versions?
1 reel, 2 or maybe 3 like in the past?
from my point of view a one reel cut roundabout 15min doesn`t make so much sense, except it`s a special selected scene of a movie. 3 reels ...hm maybe a lot wouldn`t like to pay for that(?)

replys about this are welcome!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2012 06:23 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Oli!

Thanks to your time and dedication to this great hobby.

A few years back, we (forum members) discussed some excellent, "self-contained" 15 minute scenes that would be excellent super 8 releases, and would no doubt sell very well.

I remember one being the opening battle scene from "Saving Private Ryan". Another was the fire-engine / crane / pickup truck chase from "Terminator 3". These would fit nicely on a 400 foot reel, and probably would not need editing, except maybe for titles.

James.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2012 06:38 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with James. Those would make great releases but finding material may be a problem.

BTW-Welcome back James. You were absent for awhile. Hope all is well.

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2012 06:44 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....VIRGIL BRIGMAN.....BACK ON THE AIR.....

Thanks Larry! Great to be back.

James.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 13, 2012 08:43 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oli - good to hear that you're still trying to make some releases happen. Regarding edited versions I think 600' versions can potentially be very good, as seen in releases such as 'The Wicked Lady' and 'Capricorn One', but I also wouldn't rule out more economical releases that feature (e.g.) an exceptional scene on a 200' reel, such as the suggestion from 'Terminator 3'.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC