8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Oliver Hardy Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oliver Hardy Question
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Ollie's mustache real or was it makeup? It's called a toothbrush mustache and all I could find on the web were references made to how Chaplin, Ollie and Hitler all adopted the same look. Funny how Hardy chose to keep it during and after the war given the circumstances with Hitler and all. Possibly because he knew it was trademark for his screen persona and he may have felt shaving may have put the public off in some way.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 08, 2011 03:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen a picture of him as an adult either in or out of character without it, so I would say is was the real deal.

-Ollie kept his 'stache, Adolphe Menjou kept his name! (-that must have been rough!)

One really sad story is a long time ago a childless man accepted an illegitmate son as his own despite the fact he really wasn't. He did this to perpetuate his family name. The name was Hitler, the son was Adolf's father.

-sounds like it worked too well!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 04:50 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't have the mustache in parts of BRATS and TWICE TWO.
I've seen many pictures of him off the set without it.
It might have been real -- probably only took a few days to grow for a film.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 10:46 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concerning Ollie's mustache. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against mustaches, nor would I not consider growing one myself. In fact I have been known to do just that, but it seems like every time I do, within a few days there is some one else growing one. I don't say that's wrong, but that person may think they can get me to grow mine longer by not shaving theirs.

This leads me to ask myself: is this other person growing his mustache just for himself to admire or is he(or she, don't want to insult any of the ladies here) growing it for the enjoyment of the community? Then I ponder, what drives a man(or woman) to grow a mustache? Now a person who grows a nice one is not bad. I'm not calling them a bum or a hobo because they are not! Many other reasons for growing a mustache probably exist, but I think it really focuses in on the two I mentioned. Personally, I would rather grow mine for the enjoyment of the community. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 08, 2011 10:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is growing grayer faster than my hair, so I may shave it off to look younger, which is the exact opposite of the reason I grew it in the first place!

Life is a strange comedy...and quite often the joke is on us!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 11:08 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I get the feeling you are trying to make me grow my mustache longer. Is this just a self serving intent, or is it actually for the good of the community? Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you are, or that you are not. But a mustache with a good moral fiber is something that everyone can enjoy! [Big Grin]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2011 02:20 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a picture in a book, "The Laurel & Hardy Book" by Leonard Maltin, with Ollie at a betting window (manned by Der Bingle) at Del Mar racetrack back in '35 and Ollie is completey clean shaven and wearing glasses.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 09, 2011 02:55 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next time I am at the Laurel & Hardy Museum in Harlem, Georgia, I will check out the numerous photos of Ollie just to see if they have one of him clean shaven. I can also inquire with the curator about this. I will let you know the results.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 09, 2011 05:07 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The technical term for growing a moustache is as follows: "An outward extension of inward mobilization". However, I think I like Dan's explanation better.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC