8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why didnt they bring back super 8 sound film stock?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why didnt they bring back super 8 sound film stock?
Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2011 06:56 AM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been since 1997, is there any reason why it was discountinued?? I believe they should bring the sound film stocks back but in different way.

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2011 09:18 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This firm is experimenting with new Sound stock and has already produced sample Single 8 cartridges that produce a high quality result.
They stripe existing new silent stock and load into used Cartidges for exposure. They will also process the stock (their main business is a processing lab) and reload the cartridges for re-sale.Super 8 cartridges present a problem, that of rapid loading in the dark. Single 8 is relatively easy.
This is still an experimental exercise. If it proves reasonably worthwile, the stock will be offered to Spanish user first until the viability of a wider market can be established.
THE FILM IS NOT YET COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE.... don't try to buy it (but you could express your interest).

http://www.reveladoreversible.webs.com/

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 13, 2011 02:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, i have heard that rumors (of sound films being produced in Spain). But I wonder where they can get the shell for cartridge, as it will be extremely expensive making only few cartridges.

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2011 02:20 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus the use of the Kodak patent and I don't expect that is going to be cheap.

Was it 60% of all sound stock produced by Kokak that went in the skip because the stripe was not up to standard? So it's an expensive business and doomed to failure even if it is taken on by a one-man band.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 14, 2011 03:45 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
any reason why it was discountinued
Kodak's and Fuji's "official reasons" were changed environmental laws that would have forced Kodak and Fuji to search for another "glue" for the stripe.
However this is most likely nonsense as both companies are still producing pre-striped films (for APS).

The main reason was most likely that the majority of Super8/Single8-users were using silent cameras and/or recording their sound with a separate recorder (tape, DAT, miniDisc, ...). (At that time the majority of Super8/Single8-users already have been professionals using the format for its unique look in music-videos or advertisings.) So the demand was most likely simply too low to continue pre-striping.

quote:
But I wonder where they can get the shell for cartridge
They don't as they're simply recycling older sound-carts.

quote:
Plus the use of the Kodak patent
According to some rumours that patent is outdated and hence obsolete.

Jörg

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2011 08:53 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure whats the subitute for the sticky solution that was used to put mag. track and film together before processing.

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 16, 2011 04:27 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"However this is most likely nonsense as both companies are still producing pre-striped films (for APS)."

Joerg - sorry but I can't work out what APS is?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2011 02:41 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 18, 2011 11:57 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got it Joerg, but what is the connection betwen APS (still photo) with sound stripped film (Movie)?

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2011 04:14 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
APS is pre-striped film. Super8/Single8-Soundfilm is pre-striped film, too. It shouldn't matter whether the stripe is used to store data (date/time/exposure/...) or sound. So both Kodak and Fuji do have a combination of glue'n'stripe that survives the lab and that is not banned by environmental laws (s. my first reply on this topic). And even though APS is PEN-based and C-41 in most cases, I doubt that this combination of glue'n'stripe wouldn't work for Super8/Single8-films as well.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 19, 2011 02:52 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joerg, thanks for further explanation.

From the sample of APS negative film I took from Wikipedia:
 -

Where is pre-stripped that you meant?

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2011 02:46 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

please read the wikipedia-article! Quote: "The film surface has a transparent magnetic coating..."
There are several pics that show the location of the magnetic stripes on APS, e.g.: http://www.digitalbooks.de/nikon/systemcd/pic/n1296.gif (or use Google's image-search)

Jörg

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 20, 2011 07:10 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating! I love the idea of a magnetic track being transparent, particularly if that had been the case on the occasional film where small blobs have been left on the picture area!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC