8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Filming in Paris, France

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Filming in Paris, France
Rudolf Tittelbach
Junior

- posted April 19, 2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Rudolf Tittelbach   Author's Homepage   Email Rudolf Tittelbach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be staying in Paris for a few days in May and want to shoot some Super8. I would like to know whether it is film-safe over there, do they x-ray luggages on entry to tourist places like Eiffel tower or Disneyland? If they do can you ask them to hand-check your films? Also are there any shops I could buy Super8 film-stock and then have it processed so I don't have to worry about x-raying on airports? I'll be happy for any answer or suggestion, thank you

|  IP: Logged

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2011 06:49 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've shot lots of super8 and on vacation and then brought it through the X-ray machines to no problem.

I've also packed it as luggage and it turned out fine.

I've also asked for a hand check and once been pulled aside because my GAF camera kind of looked like a "gun". [Eek!]

In the end none of the film ever had any issues.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2011 09:45 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get one of those lead lined bags that will help protect the film. I don't think the x-rays are a problem unless you have high speed film like ASA 500.

When I was in Paris a few years ago I don't remember seeing any x-ray machines at the Eiffel tower or any other attractions, but then I wasn't carrying much with me.

I'm more worried about bringing a double 8 camera on an upcoming trip. If they want to see the film they will likely expose it.

Rudolf Tittelbach
Junior

- posted April 20, 2011 05:48 PM      Profile for Rudolf Tittelbach   Author's Homepage   Email Rudolf Tittelbach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both, I'll see in the May how things will turn out

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 21, 2011 12:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Rudolf. I don't think you should be bothered by security. Overzealous agents might be intrigued by the equipment, though.
As far as processing is concerned, I remember that the only place in France got just an above average grade and review in Small Format magazine. Safe travel.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Rudolf Tittelbach
Junior

- posted April 26, 2011 04:52 PM      Profile for Rudolf Tittelbach   Author's Homepage   Email Rudolf Tittelbach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Jean-Marc for your help, it's good to read it's real-film safe there.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC