8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Great Train Robbery Blackhawk re-issue?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Great Train Robbery Blackhawk re-issue?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 20, 2011 10:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Blackhawk, perchance, make "The Great Train Robbery" on of thier re-issues in those great silver box editions?

Every print I've ran into with those hand colored sequences are always faded, but those silver box editions (that were color) were largely printed on L.P.P. and so that print would be a "reel" keeper.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2011 10:59 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to bet not. The silver logo boxes from 1977 (right around when Blackhawk's catalogs were already plugging VHS/BETA formats) seemed to always be for sound prints. I have not seen any silent prints on Ebay in the grey boxes. I wonder if BH was beginning to already thin the herd by not contracting reprints of their silent titles (not including the Roach properties and any new releases). Surely they were theorizing that home video formats were bound to bring an end to celluloid sales especially when the price of silver had become outrageous.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 20, 2011 01:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked as I have a silver box print of "Barney Oldfields Race For A Life", which was released with a soundtrack and the picture was actually "modified" in that, which the film was shot at (I believe) either 16 or 18 fps, they have the sound at 24 fps, but the film, though shot at a quicker fps, was extended.

How did they do that, by the way? Did they manipulate it by adding an extra frame for every original frame of film? I always found that curious.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 20, 2011 02:50 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I'll buy that scored Oldfield

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 21, 2011 01:35 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep that in mind Shorty!

--------------------

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2011 04:05 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a standard 8 print of GTR many years ago and the colour sequences were on kodachrome and remain unfaded.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2011 06:38 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Blackhawk 200' that runs 18fps (and has the musical score), and the color scenes look great! I wonder which version that is?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 22, 2011 10:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh Kodachrome! Love to find that one! Was it Blackhawk?

--------------------

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2011 04:00 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ooooh Kodachrome! Love to find that one! Was it Blackhawk?
Yes Osi it is. Black box with Railway design purchased c1970.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC