8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » EVT stripping "only apply a liquid (paste) magnetic tracks" What does it mean?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EVT stripping "only apply a liquid (paste) magnetic tracks" What does it mean?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 07, 2011 08:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent Nick (EVT) asking if EVT can strip my E100D, 64T and K40.

His answer is "We can stripe all the types of film mentioned but only apply a liquid (paste) magnetic tracks."

What does it mean?

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 08:47 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It means that the track is "painted" on a liquid containing the magnetic particles, instead of gluing a very narrow tape to the film.
This is because some film bases, including polyester, will not accept a glued stripe; paste stripe adheres to all of them and is probably(?) easier to apply consistently.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 08:49 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It means they don't use a tape purposedly cut to fit the limited space available for soundtracks on S/8 film, but they use a magnetic paste that is applied with a very special machine; this way the film itself constitutes the base for the magnetic track. This was the way prestripe film stocks were manufactured. The striper features a drying section to make it possible fast evaporation of the solvents needed to keep the paste at a creamy, semi-liquid state during the operation; once done the film is wound onto reels and is ready for recording.

This type of track will not come off by accident (as may be the case with laminated tape) but tends to be a little coarser to the heads. Just a little bit though and, hey after all Derann too used this method to stripe their releases (actually it was the only suitable method for poly).

--------------------
Maurizio

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 11:31 AM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Winbert
Could you give me the address of EVT in the UK.
A phone number would also help. Thanks.

--------------------
António C. Mota

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 11:52 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E.V.T Magnetics.
Havenhurst,
Pashley Rd,
Ticehurst,
Wadhurst,
East Sussex
TN5 7HE
United Kingdom

Tel: 01580 200528

Contact name is Nick Maltezos

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Antonio Costa Mota
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 05:04 PM      Profile for Antonio Costa Mota   Email Antonio Costa Mota   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith
Many thanks for EVT address and phone number. Regards.

--------------------
António C. Mota

Nathan DeHahn
Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Nathan DeHahn   Email Nathan DeHahn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it only able to strip on processed films? or able to do it on unexposed film? [Confused]

--------------------
Kodachrome Kid

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 06:17 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason EVT now only apply paste stripe is because they've run out of the laminate stripe, and this cant be obtained anymore.

Graham S

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2011 06:50 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it mean that the pasted strip becomes one part of the film? (like painting a wall).

So based on your experience which one gives better result, pasted or laminated strip?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2011 12:06 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 08, 2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that paste stripe is more abrasive on sound heads, but if that's true then we are doomed anyway: that's how Derann has always striped their films.

It would be pretty hard to show five random films out of my own collection and not have two or three be Deranns.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2011 06:00 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to have my scope print of 'Grease' re-recorded for stereo sound. It is my understanding that the quality you get on reproduction from the paste stripes vs. laminated (brown mag) is less superior. It depends on the print, I guess. Lance Alspaugh is going to do the job for me, but we have an understanding that the quality of the tracks may not allow for a 'booming' re-record. Fingers crossed.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2011 12:42 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance recorded my T2 print that had the grey Derann stripe and it turned out great. The original sound was so bad it was hard to understand what they were saying. I think their record machine was going bad. Those machines are very old.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 12, 2011 09:45 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With this paste strip, (in terms of material stock) does it mean that we do not worry about the future of stripping?

ps: I don't really worry about the sound quality or abrasive thing, since this is only for my home movies.

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 17, 2011 08:29 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham. I still have a good stock of the original 600ft Cresta laminate stripe, both bal & main.

Winbert. Make 100% certain your films are suitable for Paste. In the 80's I had large runs paste striped and it came off, caused head clog and made the print unusable. It also left me with a long cleanup job on the projector!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 04:11 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, I also have some laminate stripe but mabye EVT dont anymore.

Not sure if its true but this is what Graham Murray told me. I will find out myself when I use them later in the year.

Nice to see you at the BFCC, shame we didnt get a good chance to chat. Hopefully see you next time.

Graham S

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 17, 2011 06:15 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio Di Cintio wrote:

quote:
This type of track will not come off by accident (as may be the case with laminated tape) but tends to be a little coarser to the heads.
and

Lee wrote:

quote:
In the 80's I had large runs paste striped and it came off, caused head clog and made the print unusable.
Why there are two different opinions here?

Is the material used now is different with the 1980s?

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 18, 2011 06:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert. The prints I had paste striped were we found out later not able to take a paste stripe. EVT had a go at re paste striping them (over striping) but the type of film was not suitable or perhaps a combination of the liquid paste type was to blame as well. Laminate for me on Acetate film has always been the best and all my own home movies have Laminate applied with some dating back to the 1970’s. This stripe is still in good shape and on the films by the way. [Smile]

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2011 10:25 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news! I heard from Lance Alspaugh this evening regarding the stereo remix for my scope print of Grease, with the mag paste tracks. The tracks are good and the re-record is a success! Thanks, Lance!

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2011 06:03 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just previewed my Grease print. Excellent stereo remix from Lance Alspaugh. I highly recommend his work!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC