8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The return of the BFCC - post feedback here!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The return of the BFCC - post feedback here!
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 15, 2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new venue in leafy Ruislip made an impact even before we were let in. It was a dramatic change to be in a comparatively rural environment, albeit still within London, and many collectors were already chatting happily in the sunshine before the doors opened. The site itself is unusually interesting, with two or three display boards explaining aspects of its history. Although some of the dealers and the Bring and Buy could not be fitted in the main hall, that reflected the good number participating, and the rooms in a separate building were not far away. The cafe resembled a barn in a picturesque square garden, which added to the charm of the complex.

The compact dealers room adjacent to the cinema was soon bustling and raised hopes of a good turnout. Derann, CHC, Buckingham and several others were there, as you would expect. I'm grateful that I could buy a pack of the hard to find Kood Super 8 splicing patches from Perry's. These were going like 'hot cakes' while I was at their stall, with Ian and his colleague having to repeately put out more!

The cinema itself must surely be the finest in BFCC history, in view of the substantial size and the fairly steep raking of the seats, which gives everyone a completely unobstructed view. The recent releases screened included a rare chance to see the Kraftwork 'Autobahn' animated short, which is a 'Reel Image' release from Steve Osborne. I'm almost grateful to Ealing Town Hall for prompting the move as although the facilities there were by no means bad, I found Ruislip more pleasant in every respect.

I picked up a few interesting odds and ends (including a sprocket repair machine for a bargain price) but no films other than a couple of Elvis 400's. My only minor disappointment, as someone who collects horror and fantasy material, was that there appeared to be an almost total lack of this on sale. But I had the consolation of going home with more money than I arrived with, due to sales on the Bring and Buy.

As usual, talking to fellow collectors is a part of day and I was very pleased to meet Forum members including Paul Adsett and Colin Hunt in person.

I must express commiserations to Keith and John in view of the 'gremlins' that I know from experience strike when you least want them. This resulted in the final 35mm show being cancelled, and I heard that another interrupted the 16mm show. But I hope they won't be too discouraged by this as it was clear that people had a very enjoyable day. The chap at the door confirmed the attendance was up on the good number that attended the last Ealing event, so that's encouraging in these 'use it or lose it' days. So, I do hope there will be more BFCCs in Ruislip, although we have to keep our fingers crossed that a major refurbishment starting soon does not result in increased hire charges!

[ May 15, 2011, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 15, 2011 01:14 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent report, Adrian. I can only agree with all that you stated.
I thoroughly enjoyed the day. The new venue is, indeed, wonderful, with facilities a big improvement over Ealing Town Hall. It was a pleasure to sit outside in the refreshment area with Colin Hunt and Keith Ashfield and their respective families just shooting the breeze over lunch.
It was nice to see Paul Adsett making the trip across the Atlantic, though we didn't get a chance to speak.
Roll on next year [Smile]

Darren Payne
Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2011 01:16 PM      Profile for Darren Payne   Email Darren Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian has pretty much summed it up.

I was blown away by the venue. Even the journey was more pleasurable and stress free, no parking worries or the stop start routine of travelling through Ealing.

Am pleased the event has found a new home and long may it continue!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 15, 2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I should have specifically mentioned that parking facilities were excellent.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2011 02:47 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the whole day excellent. I much prefer the new venue and the environment really is very pleasant. I ate two meals at the tea shop there and must say that this is a big improvement on the previous catering arrangements. There was plenty to buy in all departments and, as a previous writer has posted, attendance was up.

From previous film events this year, I've come back with faulty film which private dealers at the time have said was fine. (EG no sound track) but I'm glad to say that this didn't happen at all with my purchasers yesterday. More honest private dealers at The BFCC? These other guys should follow Derann & Perry's excellent track record and be reminded that this is why we buy from them over and over again...they are honest.

I took some Super 8 film on my Canon cine camera. One collector stood at the main door shouted "I don't do film" and this same person broadcasts this news to anyone who'll listen. I ask why he bothers attending.

All in all an outstanding success. Well done to all involved!

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2011 11:06 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed the new venue and saw a few familiar faces(sorry to those i saw but didn't get chance to chat to)Picked up a few films and enjoyed the film shows,A great day out!! Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2011 01:14 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this new venue was much better than the old town hall. Very pleasent to sit out in the sun and meet up again with , & . Also with Mel Brake,Adriam Winchester & Paul Adsett. I also thought that the refreshment facilities and the staff in that quaint cafe deserve praise for the outstanding service they provided. Cinema facilities and the racked seating was much better than Ealing also. All my Thanks to Keith Wilton and his team and sorry to John Clancy that I did not get to talk to him much this time. The wife Rose enjoyed the day and meeting forum members again.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 16, 2011 01:28 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try again next year with NO TIME FOR COMEDY, Colin!!
[Big Grin]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2011 02:14 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this convention too,great to meet up with other forum members for a good chin wag,the new venue was excellent and I couldn't believe how busy the main dealers room was @ 10.30am!!

I will post up a few pictures asap.

I picked up lots of bargains too!!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 17, 2011 02:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly a huge thank you to everyone who put in so much effort staging the event and what beautiful surroundings as well. After doing the rounds a few times in each room I exited into the outside garden area and sat watching some of the younger collectors walk past carrying bags of films which no doubt they had purchased. It was lovely to see the enthusiasm from them and I gradually slipped into remising mode chatting to a few.

As with Simon I also encountered a couple of very anti film chaps and you do sometime find those who seem either intent on disrupting a friendly event or stirring up trouble for someone else. Thankfully they are in the minority and the time I spent at this wonderful event was simply a joy. Extremely well presented and so nice to chat again to young Ian from Perrys, Barry from Ind 8 and of course the legend that is Ged at Derann.

Thank you Keith and pals for a very nice event and I for one had a smashing time!

But what did I buy you ask? Babes in Toyland feature, DCR short and quite a number of Standard 8 sound films. But what was very special was to finally locate a replacement copy of the very first colour sound cartoon I purchased many moons ago so thank you Ian at Perrys for that.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 17, 2011 04:20 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the anti-film chaps, it's hard to see the logic of them turning up to a film collecting convention, but my theory is that however much they may be in denial, deep down they miss having a distinctive hobby that isn't part of a mass market, and miss the cameraderie that goes with it. However, having disposed of their films and equipment, they have to constantly try and convince themselves that they made the right choice! Anyway, so long as they pay to get in, their presence isn't entirely a bad thing!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 01:32 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot-on Adrian.

Sorry I haven't had time to update bfcc.biz yet but I don't get much time for anything now but work. I was hoping to get somethig done today but it's just not been possible - maybe tomorrow.

There are some things to say about Saturday's convention and I probably can't really do it accurately in a forum post. Obviously we had a lot of disappointments, not least the projection problems which seemed to come one after the other. We all have shows like this but it's a bit ambitious doing Super 8, 16mm and 35mm for one event when operating at a new venue. A few teething troubles are to be expected but we had more than anyone could have expected.

Whilst the projection problems were particularly upsetting the main dealers room was left filthy so Bob and his son from the ticket desk had to clean up on instructions from the hall management. Keith had a polite warning from the management because some people had parked on the grass which is strictly against the booking rules at this venue. He has not been fined this time but if there is another convention and it happens again then he's in for it. It may have appeared like a bumper attendance and undoubtely was compared to other film collecting events but it was not enough to cover the costs. No doubt with some refurbishment work at the hall and the current inflation rate of around 9% the costs will increase next year.

So I think the question we all have to ask ourselves is how much do we really want a day where we can all get together and watch films?

Great to see everyone. Sorry I didn't have any time to talk.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 17, 2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pity to hear about these problems on Saturday. I hope it doesn't deter Keith too much.
Well, John has put it plainly once again - the future of the event is in the hands of the collectors. THAT'S US.

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 03:04 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael No Time For Comedy is now back in the vaults awaiting yet another outing I hope. Going by the above comments and what John & Keith Wilton has told me that the convention did not break even. Shame about the mess left in the dealers room. I presume it was the dealers who left this behind? Some negative comments from people about the new location was had and reading from the posts not from forum members. The events on the technical side was very unfortunate. I thought the venue was brillient. The comments from the anti film brigade in the all new shiney disc brigade may find pleasure in making comments about film. Personaly I cannot knock the the new digital age, but still enjoy looking on the dealers stalls and when I make the effort to set up a projector and run film. I dont get the same buzz looking at DVD covers in the local HMV so much. I appreciate the effort that Keith, John and the team do in making the effort to stage the day. But if the convention's are to continue we must expect to pay the extra price to cover the event and make ourselves available to help make this happen in terms of hands on help if needed. The future is not just in the hands of Keith Wilton, but yourselves including me if we want to continue these conventions into the future.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 03:34 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,I'm sorry to hear that the event didn't break even and the few anti film brigade(again there must be some interest for them to turn up)But it seemed a good turn out.How many more need to come? As for the technical problems,They happen and as you stated we've all had them at one time or another but the shows i saw still looked fantastic on that big screen,mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2011 04:28 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dissapointing to hear what John said as I thought it was a success on all fronts.

I think raising the entrance price wont really achieve anything as some people wont come. I think its all about finding an even cheaper venue even a church hall ect. Some time ago I suggested somewhere like St. Gabriels in Pimlico, London which would be perfect but I was told that Keith didnt want to take the BFCC to "Any old shabby church hall". Well im sorry but if you want the BFCC to continue you might have to do just that. St. Gabriels has a large hall upstairs which can house all the dealers in one hall and there are 2 seperate rooms downstairs, one of which could easily be made into the cinema and the other a refreshment room. The only problem is little parking but a way could be found im sure. Not sure on price but I'm sure Keith could get it cheaper than winston churchill hall.

The collecting market is less today and there are less collectors and dealers attending. The BFCC must move with the times or die. The luxary surroundings of Ealing and Ruislip are mabye a thing of the past. Keith cannot continue making a loss and must make decisions on the venue and price. Mabye it's time Keith looked again at "any old shabby church hall" for the BFCC to survive.

Graham S

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2011 03:00 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not interested in a church hall either Mark. I travel 250 miles to help out at the BFCC because it's a bit special compared to other events. Really there isn't much point is we downgrade. There is a 24 foot CinemaScope screen to fit in which limits the number of possible venues to some extent. We don't have anything smaller!

But you make a good point really and it doesn't stop someone else having a go with a film collectors gathering at a church hall. Pimilico is ideal for someone starting out because it's right in the centre of the capital city so could attract as many as 100 collectors.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 18, 2011 05:13 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m with you John. BFCC has always been a very high quality event and presentation if not it would have not lasted so long, along with what can only be described as outstanding dedication from the team and extremely professional at that. Ruislip no 1 was amazing fun and most certainly worth my own lengthy trip to it. I do however disagree with young Graham taking BFCC to a church hall or something cheaper? The vibes I have had when coming along to the welcoming BFCC over the years is that is does not have a cheap feel about it but one of pure quality.

Perhaps the switch to the new venue at Ruislip was a shock to many but people will adjust and get used to it. I personally loved it and it did have something for everyone. It was nice after purchasing; chatting to people, visiting the fantastic cinema to be able to sit outside and also walk the gardens before coming back to the main event and this was a real plus point for me.

Thanks again for a wonderful day of movies and above all cine camaraderie.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2011 07:22 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As stated earlier, I found the venue superb. I would cheerfully pay £10 entrace money as the joy, opportunities and excitement created out of that money are WORTH FAR MORE than £10! People who receive more joy from keeping that £10 are welcome to keep that money in their pocket.

The BFCC has always been an outstanding event and worth every single penny. Anything we can do to help the event (other than attend!) I'm sure we will do! If the gentleman from USA can attend, none of us have any excuse...unless saving £3 is more important to us.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2011 08:25 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree Simon, about the admission cost and I have mailed John Clancy and said as much.

£10.00 for a prestige venue like this is not too much to ask, in my opinion.

What difference is an extra £3.00 going to make on top of what most collectors pay to actually get there, not to mention what we spend whilst there for our "goodies"?

Is that "extra cost" going to make any difference to the possibility of getting that much sought after bargain or rarity?

I have not heard, or read, one discouraging word about last weekends event, or the venue it was held at. I discount the comments about the "technical gremlins" that were encountered because they no doubt have happened at previous events, to some degree, and not been mentioned. It's very much a case of "what you don't know about, you don't worry about".

A great day, a superb venue, excellent company, bargains found and memories held forever.

Who wouldn't pay a tenner for all of that?

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 18, 2011 08:54 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that £10 wouldn't be unreasonable and no doubt the Ruislip event would not have made a loss if everyone had paid this. It's not a lot in this day and age and some attractions in London (e.g the London Aquarium) charge £18 or considerably more in some cases. Whether £10 would have resulted in the same number attending, though, I honestly don't know.

I agree that the BFCC is a spectacular event and it wouldn't be the same if it scaled down. In these gloomy times, we also have to be careful when referring to declining numbers of attendees and dealers, as numbers of both were up at Ruislip and I don't think there has been a downward trend over the last 3 or so BFCCs.

However, to be fair to Graham, St. Gabriels is a particularly attractive church hall, so I don't suppose Keith would decribe it as "shabby" if he saw it. If the BFCC remained a once a year spring event, St Gabriels could certainly serve well as a venue for a smaller scale London autumn event, if a downstairs room was suitable for shows and someone was willing to organise the event.

Much as I liked Ruislip, we have to acknowledge that it might nor represent the future, in view of the costs involved and the fact that the refurbishment could possibly cause a substantial price rise. Those of us in London may have to think about whether we know of any venues with potential. Some schools/colleges/universities/student unions have facilites which could be suitable and might not charge excessive amounts, although the desirabilty of free parking for a good number of people is likely to reduce the options.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think £10 is unreasonable at all and agree with Simon.At the end of the day the costs need to be covered for the organisers or there won't be anymore again.A lot of effort is put into something like the BFCC and Keith's enthusiasm along with all the others that help out to keep them going after all these years is still there also.I really look forward to the day out and all that goes with it,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2011 03:00 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'Past Events' page has been updated with photos from last Saturday's convention. Have your red/green anaglyph 3D glasses ready!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC