8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Columbia Silent Stooges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Columbia Silent Stooges
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2011 01:06 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always hated the black-boxed sub-titles that Columbia applied to their silent Stooges titles. They're so damned intrusive and often don't even come close to what is really being said. The 'Curly' short "Cash & Carry" has always been a favorite and I remember wishing Columbia had issued a sound version. Same thing with "Idle Roomers" and the 'Shemp" title "Spooks". The sub-titles are so awful it's painful.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 28, 2011 01:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Brad.

By the way, I happen to have a 3D copy of "Spooks" on standard 8mm. The #D effect is fading (due to it being on eastman stock) but some of it is still pretty good. I especially like how at the beginning, it has the original start, with Larry walking much closer to the screen than the other two, giving us a greast 3D effect.

The curious thing about the reel is that it is a 100ft reel, which seems to be comprised of two different copies, interspliced together in thier original order. I'm sure that Doug Meltzer could verify, but I think that there were two 3D issued of this on 50ft, and whoever this collector was, he simply spliced the two together. Any verification on that, Doug?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 28, 2011 01:38 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Some of the early Ken releases also had the black background for the subtitles. It does help during the scenes where there are white titles on a light background.

Osi,

You are right!

-

-

My Standard 8mm copies of the 3D Stooges also have enough color so that the effect still works.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2011 07:41 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So "Tails Of Terror" is also from "Spooks"? I assumed it was from "If A Body Meets A Body" with Curly being that he's represented in the graphic. I knew "Body" wasn't originally shot in 3D, but figured Columbia adapted it for 3D for the home movie release. The fact that Curly is in the graphic doesn't always mean anything. Curly and Shemp are on many of the silent edition boxes when we all know they are not even in the film the box is for like "Pardon My Scotch". The graphic on my box is a still from "Feulin' Around".

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2011 07:26 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking through old catalogs, I noticed that Blackhawk was the only one who identified whether a short was with Curly or Shemp.
On the channel guide for programming my DVR, my cable company lists every Stooges short as starring Moe Howard and Larry Fine. They also don't list the year, so you really have to know the titles to find out if it is a Curly or a Shemp.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2011 08:50 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is strange that Columbia's catalog never noted "Curly" or "Shemp" titles. It did note release dates for the sound versions which helped. Do the scenes in "Spooks" and "Tails Of Terror" at least run in proper order or is it a big hodge-podge?

Herb Finn
Junior

- posted April 29, 2012 01:25 AM      Profile for Herb Finn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever put together a list of THREE STOOGES Columbia home movie silent versions along with length/format?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 29, 2012 09:54 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Herb,

Take a look at this list from a few years back.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Herb Finn
Junior

- posted May 14, 2012 12:27 PM      Profile for Herb Finn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC