8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 version "Mad, mad, mad world"...please explain !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 version "Mad, mad, mad world"...please explain !
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 27, 2011 05:31 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shame on me that yesterday was my first time to see this feature (on DVD).

I have to admit that owning this film is not regrettable because many scenes are repeatable.

But I knew this title is not officially available in full feature (except Italian pirate) but 2*400 digest.

What I knew there are two versions, i.e Derann and Marketing films.

My questions:

1. Which version is better?
2. Is Derann's version or Marketing's edited in correct order?
3. Are they available on low-fade stock (LPP or AGFA)?
4. Is the scope version released pre-1980 or after 1980s?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 28, 2011 08:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump...! no one knows ???

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 28, 2011 09:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a 2x400' Mad, Mad, (etc.), World off E-bay a few years ago. I'm not sure who printed it.

The image and sound are fine, it's the editing that's a problem.

Basically they cut out pretty much anything related to story so you wind up with about 40 minutes of car crashes. By comparison it makes the first few minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" seem kinda serene!

Worst of all, they cut out that very last scene where Ethel Merman steps on the Banana Peal and leaves a huge heart-shaped dent in the floor. After I "gained" a Mother-in-Law of my own, seeing that scene always made me smile...for some reason.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 28, 2011 09:08 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

My Derann scope print recently arrived from Barry Atwood. I hope to screen it shortly and let you know.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Nicholas Fair
Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2011 11:21 PM      Profile for Nicholas Fair   Email Nicholas Fair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did you get that one off ebay? I got the thouroughly modern millie

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 29, 2011 05:52 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert. You should see the Digital transfered Laserdisc as it runs for 3hrs 8 minutes. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 29, 2011 10:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! I have the Laserdisc, back when a "restored" or extended cut didn't mean the film was actually fixed in any way, as it is obvious when they cut away from the regular run time to the found footage.

Still, it's great to have it in there.

I'm surprised that they haven't tried to do a complete restoration of that full 3 hour 8 minute version for DVD or BR.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 29, 2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Winbert. You should see the Digital transfered Laserdisc as it runs for 3hrs 8 minute
Lee, there are two possibilities for me if I am watching this extended version, I got more laugh or get fed up quckly.

I can see myself that I cannot watch 4 * 3 Stooges at one row [Razz]

How do you see yourself after watching this extended version?

BTW, not a straight answer is received for my questions. Especially can we get this 2 * 400' on low fade stock (LPP or AGFA)?

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 23, 2011 11:30 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

My scope print is LPP. It can be contrasty in a few scenes, but the color is beautiful. The first part starts with Jimmy Durante telling the group about the buried treasure before he kicks the bucket. The rest of the digest deals with the race to find the fortune. Part two overlaps a bit in explaining the events leading up to the discovery of the money. The remainder covers the chase to recapture the stolen suitcase.

I agree with Steve in that it's basically one stunt after another, which becomes tiresome. Then again, there's really no other way to edit this film down to a 2x400'.

Love that score by Ernest Gold!

-  -
 -  -
 -  -
 -  -

Doug

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2011 12:11 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yours looks better than both of mine Doug. I have the letterboxed version and the scope version. It is such a shame so many of the key scenes are missing.

It's almost a 2 reel promo for 1963 Chrysler Corp vehicles!

(That is a good thing in my book)

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the 2 X 400ft scope versions when originally released by Derann. Some re-editing between the two parts was required to make the story flow, as was the case in all the WB/UA 2 X 400s and the (eventually) 4 part Robin Hood.

So how does the single 600ft version compare - was it re-jigged or not?

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 23, 2011 03:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's almost a 2 reel promo for 1963 Chrysler Corp vehicles!
-Including a lot of voiding of warrantees!

We saw it in the 1970s and somebody commented on the number of cars they wrecked. Somebody else commented that "They're just a bunch of old cars.", forgetting a lot of 'em were brand new at the time!

This is a unique movie: an epic comedy! I heard the original edit was five hours long, and a part of me would love to see it! (just once!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 23, 2011 05:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal,

Was there a 600' version?

Doug

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 25, 2011 02:30 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, is that screen shots of your prints? they look good to me.

I believe 600' version is actually Derann 2 x 400'.

--------------------
Winbert

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2011 09:32 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug & Winbert, yes, that's the 600ft version I was referring to. I was aware it had the same content as the 2 X 400 but on thinner stock.
I just wondered if Derann had bothered to to put the sequences in their correct order because re-editing makes a big difference to the way the story unfolds.
I've shown this to various audiences over the years, it always goes down well.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 25, 2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Yes, those shots are from my LPP print. Thanks to Barry Attwood for his trustworthy color ratings.

Doug

--------------------

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2011 09:03 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

The 600' version is buried under the big W in the park I tell ya, THE BIG W!!!

J

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 26, 2011 09:42 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Very funny! I recall something about one of the stunts going wrong....I think it was the airplane flying through the Coke billboard.

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC