8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8mm weddings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8mm weddings
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 14, 2011 10:24 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not my ad but one I just read on Craigs List.

[Smile]

Super 8 wedding photographer - $1 (Prov. area)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-07-14, 11:10AM EDT
Reply to: sale-z3tr6-2493757139@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a photographer/filmmaker who can shoot your wedding with Super 8 cameras. You'll get a true home movie look shot with real film as opposed to video effects. There is an immediacy and excitement shooting film as you only have a finite amount of film per roll. Of course you can buy as much film as you want.There is nothing like hearing and being aware of actual film running thru a camera. Email me for a sample. Pricing will be determined as to type and amount of filmstock required. Thanks,Rob Lipet 401-837-8047

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 14, 2011 10:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the ad. When I used to shoot super 8, I shot in scope, (having a nice little scope lense that fit snugly on the front of the my camera). It gave excellent results.

I could imagine a nice slow move from far shot, starting all the way back at the back of the church (I'm assuming church) taking in all the participants in and ending with the vows being stated in close-up or extreme close-up. What a great shot in scope!

There is one draswback to scope photography. You do take everything in!

I once shot up at Yellowstone "Old Faithful", well, a great shot, to be sure, but this idiot kept wandering back into my shot like a moronic Charlie Chaplin character and I kept on having to shout, "Get outta da picture you stupid son-of-a-bi**t!"

Ahhhh, memories!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 14, 2011 04:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a wedding Super8 film of our neighbour daughter way back in the 80s. Unlike video I had to capture not only the wedding bit in the church but the reception as well. It was a challenge to get it all in less than 20 minutes so it had to be planned what to shoot and how. I turned the camera to a fixed focus...set and left at around 8-10 feet...no zooming and the end result was pretty good I must say [Wink] thats the thing with film its expensive stuff so timing the shots and editing in the old brain department as to whats important to capture is essential. These days of video if you want, you can bore everyone with hours of the stuff... but with film not so [Smile]

Graham.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 14, 2011 04:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat, "Super 8 wedding photographer" is a new trend for the last 5 years. You can google it and will find tens of this service.

--------------------
Winbert

Kirkamus Anderson
Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Kirkamus Anderson   Email Kirkamus Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an excerpt of one I helped with.
http://youtu.be/XJXIDfhdXVQ

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2011 07:42 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is popular super 8 filmmaker in Los Angeles who specializes in this service, and gets many celebrities to hire him.....they prefer the wedding to look like a "movie".

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2011 06:45 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad, who shot Std 8mm of me as a child, shot Super 8 at my wedding. You know having it all in a few minutes is more interesting than the hour or so of video!

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2011 06:09 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1991 I filmed a relative's wedding on super 8 with a Sankyo 620 (lovely camera)at 24 fps. It was a sunny but windy day so I didn't shoot live sound but added a twin track later.Everyone preferred my 12 minute version to the long VHS one. The colours on my film are as good as the day it was exposed - the VHS, like the marriage, is long gone.

[ July 16, 2011, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 15, 2011 06:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2011 04:44 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very nice and interesting concept, and I've tried it at ceremonial events.

Agreed, the "film look," and brevity is excellent.
However there are many disadvantages by getting locked into using film.

Some people are serious and sentimental about sharing vows, becoming blessed by a reverend, listening to the music in the ceremony, etc.

At the reception, someone is telling a very funny joke.
-or has the timing to present a hilarious toast, monologue, etc., watching the bride dance with her father, etc.

It is during all of these moments that people will want to savor for posterity.

It's disastrous to run out of film, and disappointing to lose the moment.

If the camera mechanically fails with the lens or aperture sensor, the image will either become washed out or seem to have dark lighting.

The advantage to quickly review a moment is the advantage with video. How would anyone know if
the film or camera is recording properly?

The simplicity in using basic computer applications, enables the videographer to shoot all of the footage
and then edit the highlights down to 12 minutes. Thus, the family has the best of both worlds.

There are many HD and video cameras that will record in 24P and with the option for the video to look exactly like film.

Last but not least, the event is not about us and the hobby. It's about the event, and only the event.
Who is interested in setting up a film projector? Many people are frustrated by using DVD's, and they still ask for help.

George Lucas records everything on video today, and it gives pause.

Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC