8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » WHATS THE FUTURE FOR SUPER 8 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: WHATS THE FUTURE FOR SUPER 8
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 06, 2011 04:32 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with much of what has been posted here. Let's face it, new feature releases on Super 8 became prohibitively expensive many years ago, and that is why Derann stopped printing them. New S8 features are dead, as there is no way that they can now be justified in the face of Blu-ray projection. That leaves new 200 and 400 ft releases of selected sequences from films, some interesting 200 foot shorts, and 50 foot trailers, all of which are still practical propositions for the limited S8 market. So we can probably expect CHC to pick up the slack left by Derann and print up some new interesting shorts and trailers titles. And that will be the best we can hope for. So lets all give Phil the encouragement to continue by placing some new orders with him.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 06, 2011 05:01 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't collect a whole lot of Super 8 - mainly 16.

However, the future of the Super 8 hobby is totally in the hands of those of you that do collect it.
If you allow the hobby to die just because one dealer has stopped trading then you'll have no one to blame but yourselves.
Forget about brand new prints - they're no longer available, generally speaking. Suck it up and get on with your hobby of film collecting.
To be honest, I can't for a second understand why you're all even considering the fact that the hobby's future has in some way been called into question by the Derann closure.
No doubt I'll be called cynical once again, but you folks need to get a bit of a grip here and realise that you've got a hobby which you are all passionate about.
The loss of one dealer, I don't care who they are, can only affect that if you let it do so.
[Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 06, 2011 06:05 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike..... [Wink]

And I should state it again that I started my film collecting hobby not because of Derann's releases nor Derann's 2nd hand list (in fact I lost so many orders because they were gone quickly). So I don't see any different between yesterday and now...

cheers guys!

--------------------
Winbert

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2011 07:45 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no intention to stop collecting. My "Dive-In Movie" nights (once a month on a Saturday evening, poolside), are a big hit, usually have 30-50 people each showing. A great time for friends to meet friends, have some great food and adult beverages, and watch a classic film. This keeps me going, so I will always be on the lookout for the next print I don't have yet. "Airplane!" currently in need. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? [Razz]

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2011 08:18 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't agree with you more, Paul.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2011 10:18 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Won't quit until the last projector I own (be it now or in the future) dies. It's not like I watch film daily. Being the father of two young children, I'm lucky I get to watch anything more than a dozen times throughout each year. Chances are my equipment will last for many years to come.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 06, 2011 11:36 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst the 'golden era' of Super 8 is clearly over, I strongly believe that we need to give credit to those still releasing new product - promoting and supporting their efforts - and being careful to avoid making the situation seem bleaker than it is. If I was a curious persion, casually reading parts of this thread because I was thinking about taking up collecting, I could easily get the impression that Super 8 collecting is purely nostalgia and the days of new releases are over. Keep in mind that many of us have fairly substantial collections, but if you were a young person interested in joining the hobby, you might have a very different outlook. If when I started collecting in the 1980s, the 'message' I'd heard from collectors had essentially been: "new releases are a thing of the past, but that doesn't matter because I've already got MY collection", I would have found that extremely offputting.

If you check the CHC site, you can (e.g.) see details of 4 new trailer releases that will be available any day now - both CHC and the Reel Image releases. If you feel that new releases are important, please consider ordering at least one from CHC or Steve Osborne! Let's ensure that reviews for all of them appear on this forum, because with no 'Film For the Collector' in future, there's an even greater need to raise awareness of what becomes available. And as we know, even features on Super 8 are not entirely a thing of the past. And yes, Super 8 films are expensive, but nowadays even the most enthusiastic collectors would have trouble spending the sort of amounts they were spending in the 80s and 90s!

[ September 07, 2011, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 07, 2011 11:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Adrian makes very good points. It is essential to get reviews of any new releases up on the forums to make collectors aware of their availability, and to spur sales.
Does anybody know what Keith Wilton is going to do with his Super 8 Review that was the main feature of FFTC?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 07, 2011 12:36 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, in addition to what Adrian says, would it not be possible for a group of collectors to get together on the regular publication of a replacement for FFTC?

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2011 01:05 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great idea MIke,I would be happy to contribute some reviews from time to time work permitting that is.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 07, 2011 01:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not, I wouldn't say that super 8 features are dead, they are just very cost prohibitive, as that German lab is still, to this day, cranking out very good super 8 scope and otherwise features. I bought my non striped print of "Raider of the Lost Ark" for 200.00 dollars late last year and while I do need to get it striped, you can still find the brand new features out there.

But it will certainly make new super 8 collecting more of a rich man's hobby, (richer than the hobby already is!) and us "second hand collectors" which I call myself, will have to wait until a collector is willing to part with thier cherished prints over time.

Personally (hee hee) I and the younger collectors have a "one up" on this, as there are a myriad of elderly super 8 collectors and while I do not want to call myself a "vulture feeding on the super 8 carcass" (ewww!), I will have the longevity of life to come upon great prints in the near and far future! (snarf snarf!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2011 02:25 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to disappoint Osi, but I'm taking my collection with me. A sort of viking funeral surrounded by actate and polyester. [Razz]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 07, 2011 07:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep your hands off my prints Osi!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Thomas Dafnides
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2011 07:07 PM      Profile for Thomas Dafnides     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my city , a night club is dedicating evenings to screening feature films in super 8. First time I have seen this...a new beginning for film?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 08, 2011 01:20 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my city , a night club is dedicating evenings to screening feature films in super 8. First time I have seen this...a new beginning for film?
I think there is one in LA, run by our member here Lance Alspaugh. He once told me so. He wrote:

quote:
We operate some movie theaters here in California and have screenings for audiences in a Cafe adjacent to a 1923 theatre that we restored in 2000. I am behind the 8 ball on getting a Web Site for the company up but someone else has this theater on their web site. Go to www.cinemasightlines.com and look for the Vista Theatre. He has some nice pictures posted of it. So the "Audiences" I am referring to our patrons of the Cafe that can watch a movie or movies while enjoying a cup of Java. The older S8 titles prior to the advent of Dolby Stereo seem to do best and lend themselves favorably to the S8 format. People are fascinated by it especially those that are too young to know or understand what home celluloid is or was
Here is the most direct link he meant above:

http://cinemasightlines.com/cinemas_cinemaviews8.php

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 08, 2011 02:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why Paul, not in a sharing mood? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jeremi Paradis
Junior

- posted September 08, 2011 09:50 PM      Profile for Jeremi Paradis   Email Jeremi Paradis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just started getting into the super 8 collecting and so far I am having a blast! Its a challenge to find these movies and thats what I enjoy - the thrill of the hunt. I picked up a mint Bell and Howell super 8 projector (still in its original box and even came with original instructions from 1968) for $25. That even came with 1 Abbott and Costello movie and 1 home movie (beach and picnic scenes). I also just won an ebay auction for "The Odd Couple". I have a feeling that this will be a lifelong enjoyment for me. Cheers!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 08, 2011 10:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremi,

Welcome to the Forum! Congratulations on taking up this great hobby. There's nothing like the excitement of threading up your latest acquisition!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2011 04:38 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other dealers and enthusiasts are talking about starting a new glossy colour magazine for film collectors following the ending of Film For The Collector. Nothing definite yet but if it goes well it shouldn't be too difficult to produce a better magazine.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2011 09:25 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put me down for a subscription.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2011 11:18 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
too bad the German mag. cini 8-16 is not also published in English...it takes so damn long to do the translations when trying to read the articles.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 09, 2011 12:30 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The magazine mentioned by John sounds encouraging, but I'd suggest that someone involved asks Derann (if they have not already done so) if they would be willing to pass on the FFTC mailing last, as tracking down subscibers who are not online may later be very difficult. It might even be nice to keep the same title, for continuity and as a tribute to Derann for starting it off.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 09, 2011 12:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a very good idea, Adrian.

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 12:44 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LONG LIVE SUPER 8 MM !  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2011 06:15 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hobby of film is alive and well as far as I'm concerned. Today, I finally painted my scope screen with screen paint and WOW what a difference! I need to mask it yet but I want to rewatch so many things...they are going to look so good.

Remember...there's ton's of Derann prints out there to collect!

Bill [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC