8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Various Lamps.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Various Lamps.....
Paul Bruty
Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2011 01:44 AM      Profile for Paul Bruty   Email Paul Bruty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to improve my understanding and the end result of my Telecine work. There are several 8mm projector lamps that seem to be used more than others. We have EFP, CXR, DCA, CXR, EFR, and EJM etc.

What are the differences in using the various lamps? I use a couple of Telecine machines BUT still end up with the whites flaring in the center of the picture. This is using the EFP 12volt lamps of between 50 and 100 watts. I also conduct Telecine by recording of a white small A4 size screen. One trouble with this system is having to conduct the transfer in the dark.
I also need to try different versions of the glass/screen that is used in the Telecine machines. Anyone know where I could source this type of glass as both my Telecine machines use a different glass/screen and I wouldlike to experiment as I have with the lamps?

Aussie Paul. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2011 03:21 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
The first thing you need to know is the different "codings" given to lamps refer not only to voltages and wattages but also to the shape, size and fittings of the lamps. The bottom line is the ONLY lamps you can experiment with are the lamps SPECIFIED for SPECIFIC projectors. There are sometimes different LOWER wattages that will fit, but never try HIGHER wattages or DIFFERENT voltages.
As a simple transfer medium the A4 sheet is probably the best. Back projection "Telecine machines" are usually unsatisfactory due to the "hot spot" you mention and to the "grain" in the screen surface. But you do not have to operate in the dark. In fact, a small amount of light is helpful as it reduces the image contrast on the screen. This makes it easier to get a smooth result across all parts of the image as Video cameras cannot handle the full range of contrast produced by film. The "flaring whites" are one symptom of this effect.
There are more sophisticated methods which, whilst still remaining within the capabilities of the competent DIY man, produce superior results to the "projector/screen/camera" method. These remove the screen from the equation; in some cases using only the camera, in others enlisting the aid of a computer.
Try Googling "Amateur Telecine".
BUT, in case it had not occurred to you (heaven forbid!), NEVER throw away the original films after you have Telecined them; they are more permanent than ANY electronic copy.
ENjoy yourself.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2011 09:19 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't the telecine machines use a lower watt bulb?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Paul Bruty
Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2011 10:47 PM      Profile for Paul Bruty   Email Paul Bruty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys, as you probably realise I am new to this film/video telecine "stuff" (technical word). Fortunately my father began taking standard 8mm family film back in 1955when I was 6 years old, so we have continuous images through from then to today.
Almost 4 years ago I had a serious fiery Workplace aircraft accident and am unable to work.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/man-dies-in-fiery-crash/story-e6frf7kx-1111114843841

Because I have plenty of time on my hands, other than continuous rehab medical appointments etc, I decided to convert our film and videos to DVD.

After that, other family and friends asked if I could convert their images. Now I have slowly got enough gear together to handle most of the popular formats. I placed a small advert in the local newspaper and was surprised at the number of “time poor” people who are prepared to pay a small fee to have their images converted. This keeps me occupied and the old “grey” matter working!!!!

Fortunately sitting in my special comfy lounge chair I do not suffer too much pain and with a few remotes I can achieve some progress.

Martin, yes I am aware that the original film etc is still the best preserver of images. Ok on the lamps and their various specifications. I have a Canon dual 8 projector that I am going to try and convert to use a non lamp and screen systems found while Googling telecine.

Jim, not sure about the lamps for telecine machines like the Goko and Elmo. I am using the Telecine gadgets where you shine the projector in one side and record with a camcorder from the output side. I really would like to know what the screen that the projector is focused to is called. It seems to be glass/plastic with a waxy coating on one side of it.

Regard, Paul. [Smile]

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2011 02:20 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, that looked to be an horrific accident. I can see why you have time on your hands now. I am no stranger to rehab. (broken bone variety, not substance) and understand how difficult burns can be.

After everything I tried I found the best trasnfers were achieved with a quality projector and captured with a camera right off a matt white screen.

The best results I have seen are from an older Elmo telecine and a more modern Tobin system. I have also seen other work done using a flying spot scanner.

What lamp is specified in the projector/telecine chain?

Paul Bruty
Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 01:10 AM      Profile for Paul Bruty   Email Paul Bruty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, I see you are in Melbourne just down the road from me here in Ballarat. My statistics at the time of the accident, of being 58 years old, insulin dependent diabetic for 38 years, and 3rd degree burns to 50% of my body, say I should not be alive!!! BUT I am, and so get to annoy various forums members!!!

My laptop is my link to sanity!!!

There does not seem to be any recommendations of which lamps to use when going through a Telecine machine. Back in the late 70's I was into Amateur radio and basic electronics BUT flying has always been my main area of expertise having been flying since I was 12 years old. I don't think I have the knowledge or the dexterity to convert a projector to a ccd and led transfer unit. Very very frustrating. I need someone to do it for me!!!

Ok back to the drawing boards.

Aussie Paul. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC