8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Digests on YouTube (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Digests on YouTube
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2011 11:42 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to thank everyone for their support and advice.

Chris

[ August 23, 2013, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 11:46 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Chris for posting these. I left a comment on Earthquake. Some months ago the American Cinematecque showed Earthquake with Sensurround. It was really fun to watch, listen, & experience it again. Will probably get around to watch most of your posts.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These digests were so well put together, at a time when this was the nearest one could get to owning a copy of a genuine Hollywood blockbuster. My wife was very understanding, letting me buy some of them, when we were raising a family on a shoestring!

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 02:37 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to beleive the prices at the time. Now most have faded and worth next to nothing. Some of my collection has servived and have not bought many of the new releases, but the one's that I have bought have not suffered the fate of the earlier releases. The B&W prints stay the same and at least they can be run without a explanation to why they look so bad.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 05:42 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad everyone is enjoying these. Here's the newest.

"The Wizard of Oz"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q_-BQlCdws

Enjoy!

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 08:05 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Chris, your youtube channel front page is not a good advertisement for Eastman Colour!

I am going to watch The Deep. I have had this for over 25 years, but for some reason left it sealed in its shrink wrap. The longer it went the more I thought I should leave it sealed. So to this very day I have never watched the digest........until now.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 09:01 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris,
Thanks for posting "Oz". How come there's so much flicker? Is it the upload or is it my pc? The other digests don't seem to have it so much.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 10:22 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For your viewing pleasure I have just uploaded "Can-Can".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oDNDayHkko

In my opinion, a well edited digest. I tried to post another Shirley MacLaine film,"Sweet Charity", but the server failed. I may try again if anyone wants to see it. As with most Universal 8 musicals, though, not a great edit. Like "Thoroughly Modern Millie", it only has two complete songs. I think Ken Films made better editing choices for all the Fox musicals.

Speaking of Ken Films and Fox musicals, stay tuned. The Academy Award winning Best Picture of 1965 should be up soon.

Brad, The reason for the flicker on the (very red) "Oz" digest is it's the best I can do with my JVC mini DV camcorder. I set the shutter speed to 1/60. There would be way more roll if I didn't. You will notice it in most of the newer uploads. As for those videos with less flicker, they were recorded 25 years ago with a Sony VHS camera. For some reason, it seemed to handle the roll better.

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Worries, Mate! I am delighted just to be able to watch them on line. I feel better knowing that it's not my connection. Thanks again for posting.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2011 11:29 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem. And now, one of the most popular motion pictures ever made. Loved by millions. Hated by Pauline Kael.

"The Sound of Music"

The short version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7W_W0Yq2RE

Not too faded but, unfortunately, the sound is a bit muddy.

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2011 12:20 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi chris great work what kind of projector are you using for these tranfers?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2011 12:31 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are actually two projectors. The films on the videos made from 25 years ago were projected on a Chinon 6100. For the new videos, I use a Sears Sound II.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 12, 2011 01:37 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David.. Open that THE DEEP box and enjoy Jacqueline Bisset in all her glory. What a woman! [Eek!]

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2011 02:48 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Jacqueline Bisset was and still is a beautiful woman.

Now, here is a new video. One of my favorite 3x400 digests.

"Clash of the Titans"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GopWzZYvn8A

Enjoy!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 13, 2011 04:46 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin. Will be thinking of you over the weekend when we show 'The Elstree Story' having read your old review of it. Mine is also on a 1200ft reel by the way.. [Cool]

Chris. Someone has out done your Star Wars having posted it a couple of years ago and having nearly 2000 Super 8mm Flu-Tube viewings. WOW! I also see someone else has put the HD Blu-Ray disc up so I wouldnt worry so much about your old 8mm cut downs. [Eek!]

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2011 11:21 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Lee. Good to know. But, what's Flu-Tube? I looked it up and couldn't find anything. Can you link it here or share the URL for the other "Star Wars" vid? I'd love to see it.

And now for my new videos.

I posted these last night.

"It Happened One Night". A decent digest but not perfect. It has all that that useless narration. Like, "The fall of the walls of Jericho." Really? At least the print is in good shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszmBpPbwts

"JAWS 2". I just got this yesterday. It, too, is a good digest. It tosses all the Amity town council vs. Brody stuff aside and gets right to the action. And that's perfectly OK. Even better, it's partially letterboxed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhVGom97SYU&feature=related

Have fun!

Stay tuned, there's more to come.

--------------------

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy The Elstree Story this weekend Lee. Bought this way back on it's original release in the 70's. A very good print & sound. When 8mm prints are good they stay in my collection.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2011 03:30 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen it but The Elstree Story sounds like a really great film. It is a fantastic studio.

And now for something completely different.

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" has been deleted due to music copyright.

Too bad, really. It's a really fun and shows most of the best bits in just 17. min.

"You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

[ February 16, 2012, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2011 03:34 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In accordance with the topic, I figure I wouldn't be out of line by posting this novelty of my own. It's a silent-sound Star Wars digest, performed by me & my brothers. A more detailed description is under the video. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe-RsOHwsE

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2011 12:33 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are two excellently edited digests. They make sense and cover all the major story points in under twenty minutes.

The first is a classic from 1951. "The African Queen"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUG-HDA5VBE

The other is the medical suspense film "COMA" from 1978.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFYDg89s3Q

I really do appreciate how well these are put together. The editors did a great job. Especially those who made the MGM digests.

--------------------

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2011 03:08 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the blanked-out name in the credits of that JAWS 2 digest. Did some actor not make the cut?

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2011 04:03 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The actor who didn't make the "JAWS 2" digest is Collin Wilcox. What I find interesting is Lorraine Gary gets second billing and she is nowhere to be found in this cut-down.

If you watch the beginning of "Animal House", look at the credit block with Kevin Bacon's name in it. You will see Lisa Baur has been blacked out. In fact, two very well-known actors were not in that 2x400 at all. Donald Sutherland and Karen Allen.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 14, 2011 09:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The first is a classic from 1951. "The African Queen"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUG-HDA5VBE

I have this digest and the edit is wonderful.

Last year someone offered me (reel 3 and 4?) of this feature which include all the river scenes. So I was thinking to splice it into my digest making this become a very long digest.

BTW, your color still looks good!

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2011 11:13 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, It sounds like you could have made a nice 600' "African Queen". I thought about doing the same thing. Someone on eBay was selling reels 5 and 6 but I missed it. They sold for $20. There was a complete version but it was a little out of my price range. That sold for $300. And yes, I think the color on my copy has held up quite well. It looks like the rest of my films did 20 years ago before most of them turned red.

This next film was recorded before that happened. It is another Ken Films digest of a Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. And like "The Sound of Music" cut-down, "The King & I" squeezes as many songs as it can in the time allotted. It also uses a montage of other scenes to advance the plot while these songs play over them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-zxK9xkzrY

Enjoy!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 14, 2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I think reel 5 and 6 will be the last two reels of this 105 minutes film.

Correction: I bought reel 2 and 3 to cover all the river scene.

BTW, I haven't seen this feature at all. Any idea if any other scene beside the river scenes, that is interesting to be joined?

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC