8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Digests on YouTube (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Digests on YouTube
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2011 07:58 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Winbert.

Here are two more Disney 200's. "Peter Pan" from 1953.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEya_ylrNJI

I have seen several "Peter Pan Meets Captain Hook" for sale on eBay but I never see "Prisoner of the Pirates". Was it that rare?

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 07, 2011 05:32 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have seen several "Peter Pan Meets Captain Hook" for sale on eBay but I never see "Prisoner of the Pirates". Was it that rare?

Yes you are right Chris, some of WDHMs are rarely seen than the others, that include "Prisoner of the Pirates".

I can say that the second 200' of "Pinocchio" (Pinocchio Comes to Life) are also not too often seen on Ebay as well as the second 200' "Fox of the Hound" (Test of Courage).

If we can grade the rare category between 1-3 where 1 is the rarest, then the above two titles will be grade 3 together with:

- Beautiful Briny (Bedknobs and Broomsticks)
- Robin Hood Rescues Maid Marion (Robin Hood)

-

While for grade 2, two of them are:

- A most Befuddling thing (Sword of the stone)
- Prisoner of the Pirates (Peter Pan)

-

-

...this is on Ebay UK now for GBP15 (seller Paul Foster member of this forum).

Other can chime in for more titles. But for grade 1, I will say that the rarest titles are:

- Brer Rabbit’s Laughing Place (Song of the South).....I never seen one
- Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Robin Hood)...also I never seen one. I don't know if this is from the animation version (then rare) or the life action version. But the WDHM catalog # is 302
- Flight of the Hyperion (Island at the Top of the World)....this is the 1st 200' while the second 200' is very often seen. i.e "Escape from the Astragad".

-

-

So this is that make collecting super 8mm is more interesting, i.e how to complete your collection.

Chris....keep hunting! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2011 12:20 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Winbert. I have occasionally seen "Beautiful Briny" and "Robin Hood Rescues Maid Marion" on eBay. I have never seen the other reels for "Island at the Top of The World" or "Song of the South". I used to have "A Test of Courage". I will be posting it on Youtube soon along with "Best of Friends".

I tried to post "101 Dalmatians Escape" today but it was rejected by the server. I did get this up, however.

"The Aristocats Meet Scat Cat" from 1971.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SJ0Wm4dy20

Stay tuned.

I have a few more Disney 200's to put up. In addition to both "The Fox and the Hound" reels, I also have from The Rescuers "The Rescue" and a 400', "Mickey Mouse - The First 50 Years".

As long as the server is working...

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2011 04:44 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert... I have never seen any of those before. You are indeed very lucky to own them. I never see them on Ebay.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 09, 2011 05:24 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I don't have the Brar Rabbit & Hyperion as well. I gather that information from this forum & the other forum. I think the forum member who own the most complete list of WDHM will be Gian Luca.

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 09, 2011 10:37 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flight of the Hyperion is fun, much more enjoyable than the previous release (Escape From Astragard) from Island at the Top of the World. Plus, it still has good color!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2011 11:21 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, I agree. "Escape from the Astragard" is a poor representation of "Island". I'd love to see the other reel. I think Disney should have made a 400'. But, apart from "The Black Hole", did they do any other live action 400's? I know there is the "Car Chases" reel but that covers several different films.

What is the rarest Disney you own?

[ February 29, 2012, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 10, 2011 06:48 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Hyperion covers the first section of "Island at the Top of the World", when it was offered which one came first? "Hyperion" or "Astragad"

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 10, 2011 09:03 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Astragard was released first.

Chris,

Aside from the titles you mentioned, I don't know of any live action 400 footers from Disney. As for the titles that Winbert listed, I have:
Flight of the Hyperion
Prisoner of the Pirates
Test of Courage
The Beautiful Briny
Robin Hood Rescues Maid Marion
A Most Befuddling Thing

I also have the 400' French release Disney Melodies.

-

The rarest Disney I have may be a 50' promo that shows Mickey and friends gathering around the projector and watching clips from the latest Disney 8mm releases.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2011 11:47 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, what an amazing collection! I have an LP called "The Best of Disney" that has the exact same cover as your Disney Melodies. Which songs are in the film?

[ February 29, 2012, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2011 12:47 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chris, I just watched both uploads of "Sound Of Music" and honestly cannot tell the difference. What am I missing? They seem identical scene for scene.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2011 03:30 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Open both videos at once in two different windows. Play both at the same time and you will see they are not the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPMmeD7h4TU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7W_W0Yq2RE&feature=related

Differences:

Only the alternate version has the 20th Century Fox logo.

The song "The Sound of Music" does not start in the same place.

The introduction scene has several editorial changes including, in the alternate cut, Maria blowing the whistle and saying, "Excuse me, sir, I don't know your signal".

Rolf delivers a telegram only in the first cut.

The editing of the "Do-Re-Mi" sequence. Much better, I think, in the alternate version.

In the first cut, the Captain says "You've brought music into this house. I'd forgotten."

When Maria leaves, the alternate cut has a shot of the Captain and the Baroness dancing.

The dialog is different right before "Climb Every Mountain".

The song "Climb Every Mountain" continues over the wedding scene in the alternate version. In the first cut, as in the actual film, there is organ music.

The rest of the scenes for both are the same.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2011 10:47 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ December 16, 2011, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 18, 2011 10:18 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris I notice your telecine is quite whitey. Did you try to make the screening room darker so the color will come up stronger?.

Or perhaps you can also change your camera setting by disable the white balance or color temperature or shutter speed?

I guess if you can do that it will be like this:

(left picture is the original screen shot from your youtube)

-

-

-

Good luck!

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2011 11:30 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I transfer all my films in a dark room. As far as being washed out, the films above were transferred onto VHS 25 years ago. I suppose I could take those transfers and find a video editing program that can adjust the contrast or color. Also, how washed out some of these are may be related to the bulb wattage. Most of my new transfers were done on the Sears II. That bulb has less wattage than the one in the Chinon 6100. It may also have to do with how close the camera is to the projected image. I project on a white poster board. The throw is about four feet and the projected image is about a foot wide. My camera is on a tripod right behind the projector. Once I get my new projector, I will experiment with distance of recording and changing the white balance. I'll let you know if it works with whatever video I post next.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 11:43 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Muppets have a new movie out. To help celebrate, here is the 1x400 of "The Muppet Movie" from 1979.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUPhZfhaWvE

This Walton film is letter-boxed and has good color but the print is a bit soft.

Also, this is the first transfer with my new projector. I am now the proud owner of a very nice Chinon SS-1200. Guess I'll have to start looking for films in stereo now. [Smile]

Enjoy!

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2011 04:14 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ February 29, 2012, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2011 09:32 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the thinly disguised story of Janis Joplin. "The Rose" from 1979. Starring Bette Midler, Alan Bates and Frederic Forrest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFZ7-1lYIoE

A decent cut-down with four full musical numbers. The color is really good on this.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These films were all made by American International Pictures. Three of them are from the 1960's and star Vincent Price. Two were based on books by Edgar Allan Poe. Two were directed by Roger Corman. The other film was based on a book by Edgar Rice Burroughs and starred people I've never heard of.

Here are some fun Ken 200' versions of films that, back in the day of fewer channels, could have been seen on TV late Friday night or Saturday afternoon on one of the upper UHFs.

The Raven - 1963

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guswt-fyJJg

The Pit and the Pendulum - 1961

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U2tJfEc5RU

Master of the World - 1961

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weBOnBkQbPQ

The Land That Time Forgot - 1975

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHGKe6I2oIs

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2011 12:32 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marketing Films released several versions of the 1978 musical favorite "Grease". This is the 1x400. I once had the complete feature (a mono pan & scan print) but I had to send it back. There was very little fade but reel 4 had bad sound. Maybe I will find it again someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skfaxWnIVxk

I had posted this once before to show how much chatter my Chinon 6100 has. This re-post was made with my Chinon SS-1200. It has chatter too but it is much less severe. In fact, I can hardly hear it.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2011 01:41 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all you Mickey Mouse fans, this is a re-post. "Mickey Mouse the First 50 Years". I recently got a new copy of the film and ran it on the new projector. There is some fade but not too bad. Part of the sound seems to have been erased at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akz6AzRGl8I

I have also posted "Mickey's Memorable Moments". This is a Buck Lab print from England. It has excellent colour. Unfortunately, the sound is not excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLUUtCRARoo

I am still looking for Vol. 2.

Enjoy!

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2011 02:02 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,

'Grease' sounds really good! I'm glad you were able to post it...

I also had Mickey's Memorable Moments but, in spanish "Momentos Memorables de Mickey" with good color.

Keep up the great work!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 14, 2011 03:40 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,

The color of Mickey "Memorable moments" looks good. On what stock is the film printed ?

Kodak SP or LPP?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2011 09:24 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, the film stock is LPP.

Here are two films to help celebrate the season.

"A Walt Disney Christmas"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNUgZAkqMlQ

A decent print but the beginning is missing.

"The Small One" The 200 ft. 7 min. version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63xymHwV8A

Features some very nice Don Bluth animation. Slight fade but otherwise a nice looking print.

Happy Holidays!

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2011 10:10 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love watching these. It's a great way to pass a lunch hour. Thanks, Chris, for posting them.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC