8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Digests on YouTube (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Digests on YouTube
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2011 08:26 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Brad.

This next video is a re-post. The original video was made with my old projector. The sound had a lot of chatter. I recorded it again with the new projector. The sound is much better.

Here is an all-star disaster extravaganza!

Also, a big guilty pleasure of mine.

Airport '77

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EslVYpsMwOs

Now I all I need is Airport '75. Yes, I know there was another "Airport" made in 1979 but even cutting that down to 16 min. would still be too long of a movie.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2011 02:54 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris For the good old days -- I needed that!

--------------------
Bruce Wright

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 18, 2011 12:49 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have "Airpot '77" and I was so heart-broken that U-8 didn't utilize more of Christopher Lee's scenes. I recall being angry when I finally bought Ken's "3 Musketeers" and Lee is only in a quick pan and scan shot at the end (it's so poorly done that you can barely see him) and yet he had so many great scenes that were not chosen for the digest. O'h well, I guess that's what the DVDs are for.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2011 04:39 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, In addition to Lee, the "Musketeers" digest has many missing actors.

Here is the second volume of "Carrie" from 1976. This film, unlike the first volume, has Piper Laurie as Margaret White in it. In fact,except for the beginning at school and the very end, it is mostly all the scenes with her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTRCGI0N2X8&feature=youtu.be

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2011 04:40 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first film trailers on super 8!

Gone With The Wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTC-Tvbc59Y

Unless I find a copy of The Selznick Years documentary or win the lottery so I can buy the feature, it is the only way I can watch scenes from this classic film on a silver screen.

Happy New Year!

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2011 06:17 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

I'm willing to give up my copy of Once Upon a time in the West.

Contact me with films to trade, if you're still looking for it.

Happy New Year!

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2012 01:18 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,

Please check you email.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 05, 2012 02:56 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

I love the u/l on youtube. Do you hve THe Exorcist?

Pat

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2012 05:27 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the "Exorcist". I hope the sound works for you, Pat.

Here is a digest of one of the funniest movies ever made.

Blazing Saddles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPlifmKhOCg

A lot of the really fun bits are here but, unfortunately, apart from a quick shot at the end, Madeline Kahn is missing from this cut. This film could have been a good 2 reel or an even better 3 reel digest. Also, it has the annoying Columbia narrator. Why?! I would hope that anyone buying this digest would be familiar enough with the plot that narration would not be necessary.

Mongo likes candy!

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2012 02:14 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a re-post of a fun 3x400 MGM film digest.

This 1973 film, like Michael Crichton's little dinosaur story from 1990, features an amusement park where nothing can go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...

Richard Benjamin, James Brolin and Yul Brynner star.

"WESTWORLD"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HeOrrEVcxE&feature=youtu.be

The color is much better than the copy I had before. At least on reels 1 & 2. Reel 3 does have some fade. Also, unlike my previous copy, this did not come as three separate reels in clam shell boxes. All of the reels were edited together on a modified Cecolite 1200' 16mm reel. I had to get a take up reel that could hold this much film. I found a 1600' super 8mm Tayloreel on eBay. It barely fits on my Chinon 1200 but it's great. I would love to put my 3x400 titles on their own 1200' reels. Got to save up, though. The 1600' reel was $30!

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walt Disney Home Movies released very few 400' digests. Instead, they usually made two separate 200' reels for one film. This was done primarily for the animated films. Most of the live action films came out on one 200' reel. The one exception being "The Black Hole". It had both a 200' and a 400' digest. There were, however, a few live action films that had two separate 200' reels. "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" was one, although both reels focused on the part of the film that had animation. "Mary Poppins" was another. I was always hoping they would do more. "Pete's Dragon", for instance, should have had more than just one 200' digest.

In 1974, Walt Disney Pictures released "The Island at the Top of the World", based on the The Lost Ones by Ian Cameron. The film was a critical and financial failure yet, for some reason, WDHM released two 200' digests. "Escape From Astragard" and "Flight of the Hyperion". I have never seen it but Doug has said that "Flight of the Hyperion" is enjoyable. I wish the same could be said of "Escape From Astragard". This is an uneven and confusing digest. Especially if you have not seen the entire film. The ending is very unsatisfying.

Just my two cents.

You can judge for yourself. Here is "Escape From Astragard".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT3k5txMmzk

[ January 08, 2012, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 10:14 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are three Walt Disney Home Movies live-action film digests.

First up is a 1977 sequel to "The Love Bug".

Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo

In my opinion, not as good as "Herbie Rides Again". Dean Jones is back as Jim Douglas. Michelle Lee and Buddy Hackett did not return. Don Knots gets to be the comic sidekick here. Just as he did in many Disney films of the 1970's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhEXaCM3zlI

Next up is "Match of the Century". It is some of the funniest animation from the Disney Studios in the 1970's. This hilarious soccer match is from the film "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC55kRt3SoI

And finally, the well-loved Academy Award winning classic from 1964.

Super Nanny from "Mary Poppins".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-sQcTw7xpg&feature=youtu.be

This digest features an edited version of the song A Spoonful of Sugar.

I am also eagerly awaiting the second "Mary Poppins" reel to share with all of you, "Jolly Holiday".

Enjoy and stay tuned!

I will be re-posting several animated classics soon.

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 11:33 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray!! Thanks, Chris!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 11, 2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris ...

an interesting project for you aty some point would be locating the two different versions of "The Super Nanny". There were two different cuts, one longer than the other with different footage, and one of ttwo was actually slightly letterboxed as well.

Also, another WDHM super release that is well worth making a 400ft digest of is the two excerpts from "The Fox and the Hound", which were entitled ...

The Best of Friends
Test of Courage

Both were nearly complete, with very slight editing, of two sequences, one, the whole scene when they first meet as pups, which also includes the complete song (quite lovely), "The Best of Friends". The second one is the nearly complete ending, with only the short scene when the foxes are being "smoked out of thier whole, and goes to the very end of the film, including original ending titles.

... and, I know that this digest was released on low fade stock. It might even be on LPP. I used to have this on a 400ft reel, and it was a lovely watch!

These digests you do are totally awesome!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 06:16 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the last WDHM live-action digest I own.

For now.

Jolly Holiday from "Mary Poppins"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX6qhIgo9FY

I am still transferring the animated films.

I will be posting them very soon.

Enjoy!

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 07:55 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As promised, here is the first of the classic Disney animated 200' digests I recently got. If I already posted any of titles from my 25-year-old VHS, those will be removed from Youtube. As I add them, the videos may be 7 min. or 14 min., depending on if I have both reels. If I find the other reel to something I have already posted as a single, I will not go back, join them and re-post. They will be posted separately. Just like this one.

"Whistle While You Work" from the first full-length animated motion picture "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4qScVqryg&feature=youtu.be

Printed in the U.K. by Buck Labs. The color is good.

I do have two copies of "The Dwarfs' Dilemma". One is silent and the other is sound but missing the first three min. I am getting one that is complete. As soon as I do, I will post it.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2012 01:03 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the next Disney digest. The second animated film from 1940.

Pinocchio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHjSkYyUt4&feature=youtu.be

There is some fade but only on the first reel.

Enjoy!

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris-

Please allow me to say THANK YOU for all of your hard work and dedication in transferring and posting these great digests on You-Tube. Its been such a pleasure to be able to view the ones I've always wondered about.

Watching "Airport 77", I'm sorry I never bought that one back in the 70's. It was so cool [Cool] .

Anyway, thanks again!!

James.

Herb Finn
Junior

- posted January 14, 2012 08:36 PM      Profile for Herb Finn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are really cool!

Would love to see more Ken Film Digests of AIP/American International Pictures titles!

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2012 04:43 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thank all of you for the many compliments.

James reminded me of why I continue to post these videos. I had been searching on Youtube for 8mm digests for a long time. I was hoping to find films I had never seen. There were hardly any titles, let alone those I had yet to see, and some were in a language I could not understand. So, I posted my 1x400 "Airport". Then another and another. Now there are nearly ninety films available for your viewing pleasure. Also, as Winbert pointed out, they can (with the exception of a few) be used to replace damaged soundtracks. But remember, even though I no longer own some of these digests, I do not think of the videos as replacements for the actual films. They are a representation of these films. They cannot compare to threading up a projector and watching them on a silver screen.

And now, on with the show!

Let us take a break from Disney classics for a moment.

Here is what many have called the greatest Spaghetti Western ever made.

Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West" from 1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHylNvNm8U

I don't need to say anything about the film as there is already an excellent review here.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000425

This video was made possible by a generous member of this forum.

La ringrazio molto, signor Santana!

Herb, except for "The Raven", I do not have any American International films. If I get any more I promise will post them. If you have any I could borrow for posting, let me know.

In fact, if anyone here owns a film digest they would like to share on Youtube but cannot do it themselves, they can let me borrow the film and I will gladly post it.

Thank you again and stay tuned! There will be more to come.

Chris

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 15, 2012 07:22 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, when the 1941 arrive at yur home, please post that also with your ID so everybody can get access to it.

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 15, 2012 09:08 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

I found Cat ballou!

PatD

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2012 03:36 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pat.

Here is the 1979 comedy spectacular from Steven Spielberg.

A 2x400 from Universal 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63pcBtYP3H8&feature=youtu.be

It was not as successful as "JAWS" or "Close Encounters" but did well at the box office. It has become a cult favorite over the years. It is packed with Hollywood stars and has a great John Williams score. I know a lot of people dislike this film but I think it's fun.

The full review can be found here.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000298

The sound on reel 2 of this film was damaged.

This is what it sounded like before the re-record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE06iYFzAPM

I have to thank Winbert for recording his copy for me so I could restore the sound. This is my first re-record. You may notice a slight sync shift towards the middle of reel 2. I fixed it after a few min. but I think I will do the entire reel again. I want it to be perfect.

[ January 20, 2012, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2012 09:32 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am taking a break from re-recording film. I have to say, trying to get perfect sync is not easy.

Here is reel 2 of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". I finally got a complete sound copy of "The Dwarfs Dilemma". There is some fade but over all it's a good print.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01QPTbJ18M&feature=youtu.be

After I finish fixing film, I am going to create a soundtrack for a film that has none. I have a silent color copy of "Dumbo Makes the Big Top". I am in the process of editing the actual film to fit the editing of the digest. The 8mm film has no stripe but I can make a CD of the final soundtrack to play with the film. When this project is done, I will post the result on Youtube. I might even post the complete damaged "Dumbo The Flying Elephant".

Stay tuned.

[ January 22, 2012, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 05:29 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a classic musical gem from 1953. Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell star in Howard Hawks' "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_iXVMToPH4&feature=youtu.be

It features four musical numbers including an near complete "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend".

This is the very first time this film ran through a projector. It was brand new in the box. I was worried that even though it was still sealed, there would be fade. It has happened to me before. Well, I was very happy with the condition of the film. The color is wonderful!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC