8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Review - Filmtek DVD 'From Cinecolor to Cinerama'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Review - Filmtek DVD 'From Cinecolor to Cinerama'
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 13, 2011 11:16 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Cinecolor To Cinerama

-

This is the latest DVD from Filmtek, produced by Keith Wilton at the Sprockethole in Ealing UK. As usual, the DVD is narrated very professionally by Ken Locke.
This is a two disc program running about 3 hours. The subject is a comprehensive history of the 3D and widescreen systems of the 1950’s and the various color film processes used by the different movie studios.
Disc 1 is a detailed review of the Cinerama process, in fact the disc opens up with Lowell Thomas’s famous introduction “Ladies and gentlemen – THIS is Cinerama! We see the Cinerama camera and projectors and the special louvered curved screen being assembled. Then the London premier of the process, showing British stars signing the guest book (I recognized the debonair Nigel Patrick, one of my favorite British actors). 3D films are next up, starting with the first, Bwana Devil. I had no idea that there were so many 3D films made, and there are a whole bunch of 3D trailers for your viewing pleasure, covering the quality 3D movies such as Warner’s House of Wax, to the more cheesy productions from lesser studios. Next up is CinemaScope, and here we get a lot of really interesting material detailing the development of the anamorphic process by Andre Chretien, to its innumerable promotional shorts featuring just about every star under contract to Fox at the time. Super 8mm fans will recognize many outtakes from the Derann S8 personal promo’s by Darryl F. Zannuck.
Zannuck was obviously very proud of the studios anamorphic innovation and used every opportunity to promote it.
Disc 2 provides a great deal of information about Paramount’s VistaVision process and its associated Perspecta sound process. Paramount wanted something better than CinemaScope and they got it with their horizontal running 1.85:1 35mm format. We see lots of photos of the VistaVision camera and projection equipment. I mistakingly thought that VistaVision was never projected horizontally in cinemas, but was only used as a large format to obtain superior quality standard 35mm prints. This was by no means the case, and we see VistaVision projectors being installed in several London cinemas. It must have been a sight to behold! Disc 2 also includes details of the Technicolor 3-strip process and its use from the mid 1930’s to the 1950’s.
Both these discs are first class productions, with great picture and sound quality (I had the NTSC transfer which Keith can provide for all US purchasers).
Crammed with innumerable rare trailers and promos,these discs are like reading a reference book on all the great technological innovations of the cinema. I would venture to say that they include material which has never been seen before by the general public, and the discs are an invaluable resource for any film historian or for anyone even remotely interested in cinema technology and its promotion .
Superb value, and very highly recommended.
Don’t miss this one!
Order from: http://www.bfcc.biz/
Go to Filmtek pages

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2011 04:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, Barry Attwood's latest 8mm sales list has a similarly enthusiastic review. Looks like Wilts really hit the jackpot with this release. Take a quick read of Barry's review at www.bfcc.biz/filmramblings.html

Keith is already collecting much new material for a further DVD release on this all-embracing subject including some projection box footage inside the famous Pacific Cinerama Dome theatre on Sunset Boulevard.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2011 11:39 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the NTSC of this, and it is great...very informative and wonderful fun.
The many trailers included just add to the experience.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC