8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Buster Keaton Seven Chances

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buster Keaton Seven Chances
Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2011 07:28 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if Buster Keaton's film Seven Chances ever got released on 8mm and if so is it rare? Thanks

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2011 04:45 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was released by Collectors Club (UK) in January 1976 in both Standard and Super 8mm. It was an above-average print, at least for CC. It seemed to disappear from their lists about 12-18 months later (pressure from Rohauer?), while THE GENERAL and COLLEGE continued to be available for years, so perhaps scarce - though I doubt it's especially rare, at least in the UK.

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 03:46 AM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought that title last year from a seller in the UK. My copy is regular 8mm. It was originally put out on 200 foot reels. My copy is spliced together on 3, 400 foot reels.

But be careful with the standard 8mm version because the frame line is not the same throughout the entire film and must be re-adjusted accordingly between the various reels, which is really boring! Also the first 3 minutes of the film has been cut from this release, presumably because it was highly damaged as the DVD version clearly shows. Other than this slight cut, the film is complete and runs about an hour.

Bottom line: a sure crowd pleaser everytime and a highly underrated Keaton film!

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2011 04:21 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. That gives me hope that maybe someday I could find one that I could afford :-)One more question, were these releases all silent?

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2011 10:58 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Collectors Club print was silent only, and as far as I know it was the only release on 8mm.

It's a while since I watched my print but if the opening scene was omitted, it's probably because it was shot in two-color Techicolor (perhaps more prone to deterioration?) and may not even have been in the black & white masters when CC made their copies. The frame-line variation is a problem I found in many CC features, Standard and Super 8, and to be fair in releases from other distributors too. I remember it when editing together some of the Derann Warner Bros. digests, for example.

Another UK Keaton rarity, by the way, is the complete SHERLOCK JR., released on Standard 8 by Watsofilms.

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's great to know that my copy is not unique regarding the frame line problem between reels when spliced together on larger reels. My copy is also standard 8mm and the quality is good but certainly nothing to write home about and there are a few washed out scenes too since I just looked at this the other night after reading the original post. But certainly an entertaining film though!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC