8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 resolution compared with today's HD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 resolution compared with today's HD
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 14, 2011 11:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

15 years ago when video home format was only VHS or LD, I was still proud having super8mm collection at home because many people still declared that the resolution of super8 was superior compared to any available formats.

What about today? can we still say that or HD quality is better than super 8?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2011 11:43 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
While the film medium itself has the properties for higher resolution, so few Super 8 prints actually live up to that resolution that I have to say my answer is that Super 8 overall does not live up to HD quality. (And I'm a dedicated film collector.)

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 15, 2011 04:19 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with John. 16mm and, even moreso, 35mm are closer to HD quality than S8.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 15, 2011 12:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with John. I have yet to see a super 8 print that can beat projected Blu Ray, although Derann's Disney prints are in the same league. Most of the very best super 8 prints compare with DVD, but the average super 8 print is somewhere between VHS and DVD, with the poor prints being worse than VHS.
Most Blu ray's IMO leave S8 prints in the dust resolution wise.
But an excellent S8 print often has a better look than its DVD equivalent, due to the less harsh imagery and often better contrast and color. I have many S8 prints which I prefer watching instead of the DVD.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

William Mouroukas
Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 04:03 PM      Profile for William Mouroukas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where projected video falls down from my experiance is in the sustainability of it's image quality over time. With the 3 machines I've owned I observed the characteristics of the LCD changed. Contrast is the most noticeable weak point, dust getting on the LCD and diminishing lamp performance.
I haven't yet seen a video display of any type in the general market place that I would think is capeable of the contrast ratio of film. At this point I would concede the resolution point, however I expect a high quality S8 print comes close.
For me there is no question that S8 is still a more satisfying viewing experiance as long as the print is decent.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC