8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8MM Flying Saucer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8MM Flying Saucer
Mark Kukta
Junior

- posted October 26, 2011 01:36 PM      Profile for Mark Kukta   Email Mark Kukta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to pick up any old 8mm and 16mm home movies whenever I see them at Estate sale. I am not sure why since I dont have a projector to look at them I just buy them and hoard them I guess lol. Most of them just say things like Mexico or Birthday Party etc. but I found one this weekend that says among the things listed "Flying Saucer" and its dated 1960. Would it be worth paying $50 to get this tranferred to DVD so I can see what is on it or will it never be worth $50 even if it has a flying saucer? Here is a picture

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/Godbron/FlyingSaucer.jpg

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 26, 2011 01:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Welcome to the Forum! Since it's listed on the label right after bobsledding, this could be home movies of kids in flying saucer sleds.

I think you should take that $50 and pick up an old 8mm projector!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Kukta
Junior

- posted October 26, 2011 01:53 PM      Profile for Mark Kukta   Email Mark Kukta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thanks for the welcome. I thought about that actually but am afraid I will break them somehow lol. I picked up a bunch of 16MM from a guy the other day who got them from the library and he was trying to sell me 2 camera's and a projector with them called Bolex but wanted $200 not 50 .

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2011 01:56 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum! Rather than transfering, buy a cheap projector from a local thrift store or find one on craigslist. If you can not find a good, working, Regular 8mm for under $40, contact me and I'll send you a Keystone I have for the price of shipping alone at no extra charge.

The film you have may be fun to watch along with the others, if anything you can transfer it yourself using a video camera at any time. Not exactly the best digital transfer but, it will get you started on a very fun hobby. You already have the films, now you need the projector.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Mark Kukta
Junior

- posted October 26, 2011 01:59 PM      Profile for Mark Kukta   Email Mark Kukta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I might do that I need to do something with them. I have over 300 now and dont really do anything with them except buy more and put them in my closet.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2011 03:07 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

If he's offering you a 16mm Bolex sound projector for $200 that works, it's a great deal! I was lucky to find a S321, it's a heavy machine with exquisite performance if maintained properly. I also have a Bolex S1 camera, I have not use it yet but excited to sometime.

If the machine is silent, your films will run on it but, you may discover sound film eventually and you will need the projector for that. $200 sounds like a lot for a projector but, a good television or a DVD player costs that much. A bonus is that you will already have one of a kind items to screen and catalog.

If you're afraid of a projector breaking, you will have us on stand by to point you in the right direction for repairs. There's nothing better than fixing your own equipment when it fails(unless the issue s electronic components), it is usually a slipping belt, needed lubrication, or sound problems. Many of these issues I've repaired on my own by following old threads and taking a chance on it myself before asking for help here. Usually, I solve the problem before anyone replies!

Anyway, welcome to hoarding er...collecting film! [Wink]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted October 26, 2011 06:56 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Welcome to the forum!

I love this guy! He has 300 films and never seen one of them [Wink] No that's a true collector. I don't feel so bad now. At least I have viewed a few of mine. Get a projector Mark and see what treasures you have. [Eek!]

Pat D [Big Grin]

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2011 06:39 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would it be worth paying $50 to get this tranferred to DVD so I can see what is on it or will it never be worth $50 even if it has a flying saucer?
When you try to get it transferred, I guess that it will get confiscated by the NSA due to the original footage from the second Roswell-incident, right before Betty and Barney Hill got abducted. (Of course they would deny this and claim that the film only got confiscated due to the "naked daughter with mother"-scenes at the end of film.) [Big Grin]

Mark Kukta
Junior

- posted October 27, 2011 08:56 AM      Profile for Mark Kukta   Email Mark Kukta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah im going to call him and see if he still wants to sell the projector and camera's. He said everything works except one of the camera's rewind doesnt work or something like that. He was trying to make a movie about his boat or something back in the 60s or 70s .

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 27, 2011 08:59 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like to pick up any old 8mm and 16mm home movies whenever I see them at Estate sale. I am not sure why since I dont have a projector to look at them I just buy them and hoard them
Mark, from my personal view, hoarding films is not kind a good thing.

You need to select which you are going to keep and other are for re-sell.

The thing is (this is based form my personal experience) the more reels you have, the more you think they have high value in the future. But actually the case is not like that. Some reels are best to be kept by other people.

The other thing that you might have not known that some old films was made on nitrate based and they are dangerous to your health and safety. These films can easily to get burnt and flushing with water will not extinguish the fire. Who knows some of your films might be nitrate based.

Pat... sorry to say,... collecting is not hoarding [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Kukta
Junior

- posted October 27, 2011 09:11 AM      Profile for Mark Kukta   Email Mark Kukta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah. I have noticed some of them smell funny espeically the older ones before the 50s. The movies arent really that bad 300 seems like alot but I have close to 200,000 slides lol they take up way more room. Although ,I have looked at most of them after I bought them. I try and keep everything sorted by where,when and who I got them. I planned on trying convert everything and building a website for all of them but can never find the time with work. I figured if I ever get fired one day I will have the time then. Most of the estate places just throw this stuff in the garbage but I have talked alot of them into giving them to me instead of dumping them. Still some will dump them instead of selling them which is crazy.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 27, 2011 10:14 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I planned on trying convert everything and building a website for all of them but can never find the time with work. I figured if I ever get fired one day I will have the time then.
I am not trying to discourage you. Although what you are saying is a noble thing, but unless you have a sort of endowment fund in the bank this kind of thing (transferring, uploading, setting website) need an extensive money.

The best way is to donate some of your reel/slides to appropriate institutions such as the National Library of Congress, etc. They will appreciate your stuff more than we can do, such as putting in a controlled room temperature, cataloging them based on location/year/theme, giving public access to see, etc, etc.

I have been watching to much series of "Hoarding" and it scares me to be honest ! [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Kukta
Junior

- posted October 27, 2011 12:33 PM      Profile for Mark Kukta   Email Mark Kukta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been out of town here for awhile but I talked to the guy who wants to sell me his projectors and stuff . He said he had a 16 mm and 8 mm bolex projector, 2 H16 bolex camera's and 2 h8 bolex camera's. He said he had a film slicer? also and 3 or 4 studio camera's that dont use film but wasnt sure of the models. He has to dig all this stuff out of his garage but said he would take 400 or 500 for everything. That seems liek a fair price, my question is does anyone know anything about what to look for on the splicers, studio camera's and projectors. I can only really find information on the Cameras

[ November 14, 2011, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Mark Kukta ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC