8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Canon PS-1000

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canon PS-1000
Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2011 04:15 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was offered to buy the Canon PS-1000 for $100. Is that a good deal? Everything is in really good condition.

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2011 05:54 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Grant,

It's a nice projector; however, it has one of the most complex belting I have ever seen in any projector. One have to take the machine apart, literally, to change them. [Mad] [Mad]

I would not recommend this projector to anyone without the necessary knowledge for such a task.

I have three Canon PS-1000 in almost new condition collecting dust with belts issues; I have given up on them!

There is thread in this Forum from 2007 but I don't know how to post the link to it. If you want to read the topic and see pictures of the belting procedure do a search for:

"Help with Canon PS-1000"

I hope this helps.

Jon

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2011 06:07 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grant, I would encourage you to search for other discussions here about the PS-1000 and read up on it. I bought a new-old-stock one 10 years ago, put less than 100 hours on it, and can't use it for much of anything anymore.

Advantages: really cool design; compact; film can be rewound or fast forwarded while loaded; sprocketless design handles torn film really well; bright and sharp picture for the size & lamp

Disadvantages: lamp is rare and more expensive than some; bad splices can jam, and freeing it can be a nightmare; wet capacitor had to be replaced to get rid of blaring hum; 400' maximum; belts stretch over time and replacement is nightmarishly complex; nobody here has found anyone willing to service them anymore

Maintenance problems: frame adjust can no longer be set to proper range (too low, can't go high enough), a problem that worsens with use; runs fast

So how's that for a rundown? So, in my opinion, no more than $50. For $100, you can have a better-lasting, brighter projector off of eBay. I say this with affection, because finding that PS-1000 in 2001 is what got me back into home movies.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC