8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CHINON SOUND 9000 - Is It Good?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CHINON SOUND 9000 - Is It Good?
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2011 05:32 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this is a good projector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINON-SOUND-9000-MV-SUPER-8-SOUND-MOVIE-PROJECTOR-MAGNETIC-OPTICAL-/260882797904?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item3cbdd39550

Also, is seems expensive. $289.00. I cannot afford that but if I were to fine one cheaper, I would consider it if anyone can tell me how good it is is.

Thanks,

Chris

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2011 06:55 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with that specific machine but looks relatively recent. Having both sound formats is one of its main values. With a 100w bulb and F1.3 lens, it's not going to be spectacularly bright, though decent.

So probably a great machine, but yes, this is pricey. Anyone here have one of these?

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does sound like a nice machine but, again, way out of my price range.

I found a couple of these projectors. Currently $75 - $80.

The Chinon 7800.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320789065068?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-Movie-Projector-Chinon-Sound-7800-TWIN-Speed-original-box-Manual-/110769577794?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item19ca619f42

Can anyone vouch for this model?

I am still looking for a projector that has no (or alot less) chatter to replace my Chinon 6100.

The new 6100 I got did not work well and has been returned.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 10, 2011 06:46 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just stick to usual bulb EFP (150W, 15v) or EFR (100W, 12v) which can be easily found in any shop for around $8.99. Or even we can get a $1 bulb with the same shape (connector) but less bright (50w, 12v).

I don't know with DNE bulb (the last auction) if it is easy to get (and cheap) or not.

--------------------
Winbert

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2011 09:49 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The higher the model number on the Chinons - the younger the unit. I have a 6100 and two 7000s. Both take the DNE bulb which generally runs about $30 each and easy to acquire. I get mine from Bulbdirect.com and have found them very dependable. I like the Chinons because they're great for guys like me who are not mechanically inclined.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 12, 2011 12:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a proud owner of the CHINON 9500, I can vouch that the optical is far above normal in it's sound output. Quite loud compared to most optical super 8's (even the Eumig optical models), however, it doesn't have quite as much "bottom" to the soundtrack as the Eumig optical models, but that could be due to the amp in the CHINON 9500. I would assume that the optical hardware would be the same in this 9000 model.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 12, 2011 07:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Both take the DNE bulb which generally runs about $30 each and easy to acquire
I think that rather expensive bulb knowing it is rated for 15 hours life time.

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2011 12:35 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I bought two DNE bulbs for my Chinon 6100 about six months ago on eBay for $15 each. There are several available there now. They start at $20. For me, that's still a good price. I remember years ago I was lucky if I could find one under $35. The great thing about the DNE bulb is it not only fits in the 6100 but it will also work for my new 7800! Yes, I bought one of the projectors I was watching. I should get it sometime next week. I really hope it works as well as they say. I don't want the problem I had with the 6100 I got last week. The good news is they, like the seller of the 6100, have a three day return policy.

As I mentioned earlier, I sent the 6100 back. It had several problems that I do not know how to fix. It's too bad I don't know anyone in the area who could. The seller offered me half my money back to not return it.

By the way, the 9000 has be re-listed and marked down to $249.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC