8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 7800

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 7800
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2011 01:29 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

I have some questions about the Chinon 7800. I would be grateful for any answers.

1. Is the bulb supposed to stay on and dim while the projector is not running? I have never seen this in any other projector.

2. Compared to my 6100, the 7800 seems very loud when it runs. Can this be fixed with a good clean & lube or does it sound like something else?

3. Is there a way to fix a scratchy volume control (both machines)?

4. Like the 6100 but not as noticeable, this machine has chatter. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

5. Dirt really likes to stick in the gate. Apart from cleaning each film beforehand, is there a way to prevent dirt from gathering while projecting?

6. The power cord is a bit touchy. A slight bend can cut off the power. Are replacement cords expensive or hard to find?

7. This is a 6100 question only. What is that ticking inside after shut off?

I do hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Chris

[ November 17, 2011, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 15, 2011 01:57 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Chris

1. Yes, the bulb pre-heats.

2. Lubing never hurts. They do run loud though.

3. Electronic tuner cleaner sprayed inside control, then turn up and down to clean contacts.

4. Film gate is clean.No piece of film stuck in channel. Also that there is a loop.

5. Maybe anti-static spray on gate. Dust sticks to static electricity

6. Check terminals inside end of cord. Maybe squeeze them with a pliers to close them a little. Cords are on EBay.

7. The ticking could be a bomb or the balance wheel is still spinning after projector is off. Remove back cover to see if anything is touching it.

8. Dis-regard first part of #7!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 15, 2011 02:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cord has a broken wire in it: time for a new one!

The machine sounds a lot like a Eumig 800 series.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2011 06:33 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Pat!

I will keep it and follow your suggestions to get this machine running as perfectly as I can.

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2011 12:04 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have spoke too soon about keeping the 7800. I watched a film tonight and found another problem. It is running too fast. I know the songs from "Grease" quite well and in the film I watched, the singers sounded like they all had inhaled a little helium.

Can this be fixed?

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 16, 2011 10:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say high pitch on a song of "Grease", did you notice the tempo is different (faster) or the same.

In a digital DJ Turntable, there are two buttons that create similar sympthom.

One is a button for TEMPO. This you can speed up or slow down the song. The result you will higher pitch (if speed up) but also faster beat.

The second button is for KEY. This we can high or low the key without changing the beat (i.e same tempo).

Since we are talking a projector which I think goes with the same principle, perhaps, you can check if youurprojector has those kind of pin adjustment inside the board.

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2011 11:50 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

The tempo is faster and the key is higher. There appears to be nothing inside that would adjust either. The projector is running at more than 24 frames per second. I don't know how to fix it.

--------------------

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2011 12:11 PM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the bulb is supposed to stay on glowing with about 3 volts applied to it. This is called pre-heating the lamp so that it does not shock the filament when the full 12 volts are applied during projection. It really makes your lamps last much longer.

For the scratchy volume controls just spray them with a contact cleaner made for that purpose and all electronic stores will carry that and some hardware stores too.

As for sound chatter, just live with it, because you will never get rid of it. There is no real solution to that problem without a major modification to the projector itself. Read the old post here on this forum called "24 fps chatter" to fully understand it. But rest assured there will be nothing you can do to fully eliminate it.

The best way to avoid dirt in your film gate is to clean all your films since that is what is depositing all the dirt in your film gate to begin with. That should reduce the problem significantly.

I thought the Chinon projectors all use a standard power cable the same as those used on computers of today, or am I mistaken?

[ November 16, 2011, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Joseph Banfield ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 16, 2011 12:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, my small Chinon 330 MV has that two pins for adjustment. So I think the big brother must have the same pins too.

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2011 08:46 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Joseph. This is good info for all projectors. As for the power cord, I know that one cord will not work for all Chinons. The 7800 is a three prong. The 6100 is only a two prong.

Thank you too, Winbert. If the machine wasn't already packed up, I would check again for the pins.

Yes, that's right. I am sending it back.

Not all is lost, however. Right after I finalized the return, I received an offer for another projector. It is a bit higher on the food chain compared to the 7800 and still within my budget. I will find out more information about it soon.

If I do get it, I hope it will be the one that will last as long as my 6100 has.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC