8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo-ST 1200 D Sound Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo-ST 1200 D Sound Issue
Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2011 12:04 AM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I got this Elmo ST 1200 D on Ebay. I cleaned and lubed it up, then threw a film on it. At first the sound was fine, then it sounded pitched up like a record on the wrong speed. By the next film the audio sounded like a cartoon and then stopped altogether. I re-cleaned the sound head but nothing. Also, it sounded like something was really working hard, possibly one of the rollers. I'd rather fix it than send it back. Any ideas? Thanks

--------------------
Scott

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 16, 2011 01:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a different ST-1200 story than I am used to. Usually it's a case of them running too slow!

My wild guess is the machine needed lube, but instead the former owner moved the belt to the "50 Cycle" pulley to speed it up. Then you lubed it and as the lube worked in it gradually became too fast. Then maybe the belt broke and everything ground to a halt.

(It's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

If you take the back off the machine (BE CAREFUL: there are lethal voltages in there!) and turn on the film transport, what do you see? Is the motor turning? Is the belt up to the rollers moving? Are the rollers spinning the shutter wheel?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2011 01:10 PM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve. I'll take the back off and look.

--------------------
Scott

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC