8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm transfer to DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm transfer to DVD
Michael McGill
Junior

- posted November 25, 2011 06:47 PM      Profile for Michael McGill   Email Michael McGill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking to buy a reasonably good quality digital video camera to copy my 8 and super 8mm films through the telecine system. My projector is a Sankyo dualux 1000 which only has a 50W bulb but it works well.
Any thoughts on what make and model vidcam I should buy?

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2011 05:10 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to find a camera with 3CCD's which means resorting to a second-hand purchase. Whatever anyone says the CMOS chips aren't as good for telecine. I recommend the Panasonic NV-GS series but you have to get one of the better models because you need a manual focusing ring and they don't all have them.

Also, you need to ensure your projector can run at 16.66fps (three bladed shutter) or 25fps (two bladed shutter) to eliminate flicker. You'll need an aerial image condenser lens and a separately powered lamp with as low a wattage as possible which will then need to be blanked off with something at the gate to knock the output right down and spread the light evenly across the frame.

Alternatively, if you're prepared to put up with cine transfers that aren't quite up to scratch you can film the image off the wall. Many people find this perfectly satisfactory and is probably a good way to start until you get to understand things a bit better.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC