8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 7000 New Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 7000 New Problem
Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2011 05:11 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After getting advice on the claw penetration and doing what was suggested I was landed with this new problem.

This is what is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HjLJdk5qhA&list=HL1322348584&feature=mh_lolz

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2011 07:26 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looked like the bunching up did not start until you flipped it over from thread to run.......Is it possible that the adjustment you made earlier needs to be readjusted? Perhaps you moved it too far forward, and you just need to pull it back a tad?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2011 07:54 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried many adjustments both forward and back, they all do this. And yes it only bunches when I put it on forward.

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2011 10:22 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check that the flywheel capstan is spinning Ok before switching to project. Seems like the film could be getting caught at the pinch roller and jamming somewhere there or in the sound head itself.

dogtor frankarnstein [Cool]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2011 11:55 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the pinch roller and the flywheel capstan?

Yes I see that the sound roller is not spinning? Is there a way to fix this? Or what is causing the problem?

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 01:19 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the back off and see why the flywheel doesn't turn. [Razz]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 07:27 AM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did and I wasn't able to tell what it wasn't spinning. Any ideas?

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 27, 2011 08:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert regarding Chinon projectors but do they require a special cut at leader's head prior to threading?
It also looks like the film is using a Kodak white leader. There were a few stocks of these that were slightly thicker than usual and had difficulties passing through some ofthe mechanical elements (I've experienced this with an otherwise finely tuned Elmo St1200).
Did you try another piece of leader? Acetate or polyester, one that would be directly from a lab and not added later such as the one in your video?
The flywheel is a large metal disc/cylinder (roughly 4 to 5 inches in diameter) that is connected to the sound drum. The centrifugal force it creates when spinning is essential in keeping the film against the sound head.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 07:53 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the only kind of leader I have. Also the drum isn't spinning at all.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 10:09 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Owning 3 Chinon units myself, I can vouch for the leader issue. Any film I received that came with white or green plastic leader were always a loss-of-loop issue for me and I was forced to replace them all with real film leader. In short, I would trim off pieces of old films I no longer cared for (various silent shorts starring unknowns from the days of silent movies) and splice them at the beginning of precious commodities as leader and I have had great success with this method (ie: no loss-of-loop issues or loud chattering through the projectors).

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2011 10:56 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the whole problem is just caused by the leader? Is there any way to get leader that will work? Also I used that leader on my Three Little Pigs film and it worked perfectly half a dozen times.

Also is the flywheel supposed to turn when I put turn the projector to thread, or is it supposed to turned once films goes through it?

Guys I feel like giving up on this projector nothing is working. Is there anyone I could send it to who can fix it for me?

Even without using that leader it still isn't working for me and it now just bunching up at the beginning of the threading process.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2011 12:35 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grant, you might look for unprocessed, outdated Super 8 film on eBay. Unless you end up with a stock with remjet directly on the back of the film, it won't shed, color film is completely opaque, and it's not thicker than normal film because it IS normal film.

Just yank it out of the cartridge and reel it up.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC