8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Filming titles from a computer screen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Filming titles from a computer screen
Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2011 10:54 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi has anyone tried this? What are the results like and do you need to adjust the automatic exposure setting? Thanks MIKE

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2011 01:33 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did this with an LCD screen, but it turned out on the dark and blue side. Fully watchable, but somewhat dark and blue.

Would post screens if I had any.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 29, 2011 01:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did.

I use a VP and throw it at the shortest distance possible (hence brightest picture). I used a E64T (Tungsten) with internal filter engaged (no. 85). This stock was known to get blueish tone.

Here is the screen shot:

-

Please note that at that time I projected the VP to computer casing case which has orange skin surface, so you will notice that sort of "grains". But if you project the VP to white plain paper it will make better result.

Here is the whole story: Shooting with super 8mm (E64T), review for dummies

I am not sure how it will work with today's E100D because E100D is for Daylight shooting. I don't know if we have to disengage the internal filter or not.

Any suggestion guys?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do this on both Regular 8mm and Super 8. I usually create the titles in Word with a black background and big bold white letters. With Regular 8mm I use the lowest aperture and zoom in from about 3 feet. With super 8 I zoom in from a few feet and use the auto exposure. If you have a high resolution LCD screen the results are pretty good. Sometimes I even scroll the text on the screen. I used E100D without a filter.

Right now I'm waiting for a roll of Regular 8mm film to come back from the lab. I used a Bolex P2 and experimented with a fade using the variable shutter on the camera. I faded out the title. I then back-wound the film and faded in with a time lapse view of the ocean with clouds rolling by. I hope it turned out ok.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2011 01:56 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did this too, more or less like others have described, except I calculate aperture using a 25% grey screen, made via Word and using a text box filled with this "colour", when shooting white titles on black background. This way the photocell isn't fooled by the high amount of black and the titles are reasonably burnt-out (transparent) without loosing detail.

Recently I have tried with E100 D without filter (as, at least teoretically, the LCD colour tem is closer to daylight than to tungsten), but the resukt have been ot satisfactory, as I got a rather unpleasant bluish cast. This prompts for further investigation, maybe using an 85 filter, regardless of how stupid this could seem. At this point, if I were in Michael's shoes, I'd shoot both with filter and without.

--------------------
Maurizio

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2011 06:09 AM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to film the titles which have a blue background so a blue cast shouldn't be too noticable. MIKE

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2011 10:11 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You still might get some bluish cast on the whites of the titles: perhaps you shoud keep the background color a little darker and at the same time, overexpose a little bit: this way the titles should result in plain white.

Let us know how it turns out.
Good luck.

Maurizio

--------------------
Maurizio

Michael Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2011 05:15 PM      Profile for Michael Wright   Email Michael Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurizio, I think I'll try exposing at the auto reading and 1 stop under and 1 stop over and see which come out the best. Will definitely let you know the results. MIKE

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC