8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fumeo Repair..Big Thanks to Bill Parsons!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fumeo Repair..Big Thanks to Bill Parsons!
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted November 30, 2011 12:57 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to pick up one of my dream machines..a Fumeo 9119.
Here it is:

-

Beautifully made and truly bursting with rugged build quality. This is one machine that will last and last.
I threaded up the machine and it was silky smooth. All was well...until I heard the sound coming out of the speakers. It was muddy... as if though the heads were worn.
I noticed that when I pushed down on the head pressure assembly it would get brighter and louder. The way I am sure it was meant to sound.
Well I couldn't get it to work after a few hours. No one really seemed to know how to fix the problem with the sound. So I phoned Duall Camera and they said they would look at it and to send them pictures. I did. They never returned my calls or emails.
Nice.
But then I remembered that Bill Parsons over in the UK helped me in the past with a problem with the Elmo GS1200 Xenon I was having. Maybe he would know?
We started emailing back and forth and it turns out he had a Fumeo that was coming in for repair in a few days so he would go and see what he could find.
A few days later as promised he emailed me a schematic of the head assembly and then told me how to align the head. 15 minutes later...Voila! Perfect sound. Bright and Clear! and the picture ? Very sharp with perfect stability.
Micrometric focusing so no backlash, 2 bladed shutter, really a very impressive machine.
I just wanted to publicly thank Bill for his wealth of knowledge and insight into helping me to bring the Fumeo back to its current glory. Bill went above and beyond and even though he is one of the GS1200 experts..a great technician is a great technician and I am sure that he could fix any machine. I wish we could clone him and get one of him over here to this side of the pond. Thanks Bill. You are the MAN!

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 30, 2011 07:39 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! When's the screening to show it off?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 30, 2011 10:05 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This machine is very rare (and expensive!).

- Was Fumeo widely sold in North America or Europe (except Italy)?
- When this company stopped super 8 production?
- Compared to GS1200 when it was new, which one was more expensive?
- Anybody can guess what is the population of Fumeo for each super 8mm series?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2011 11:18 AM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I don't know the price for the GS-1200 when it was first marketed in 1978 but the Fumeo 9119 hit the market in 1984 at a cost of around $1575 (US$3,259.59 in today's US$, adjusted for inflation)

Congratulations Alan, and as Doug asked, when is the screening? [Wink] [Wink]

Jon

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC