8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Silent Mode" (-Not just for Submarines!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Silent Mode" (-Not just for Submarines!)
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 06, 2011 08:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On another thread we've been having a discussion of the projectors that retract the pressure pads over the heads and the advantages and disadvantages of it.

Personally I'm a little wary of it because it adds complexity to the machine and introduces more things to go wrong. Also I think it should be easier to maintain consistent pressure on the head when the pads are fixed in place.

I've spent a lifetime learning I'm not always right. What do other people think? (about the projectors...)

PS: Does the GS-1200 have this feature?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 10:44 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off: yes, the GS 1200 does have such a feature, and it is activated in the most advanced (anc complicated!)way conceivable: an electromagnet takes care of the sound pads movement. Which requires a circuit controlling the electromagnet etc.

Other Elmos too have this possibility albeit it is achieved in a more traditional (mechanical) arrangement.

Since you mentioned sound pads position consistance relative to sound heads, I have to let you know that ALL projectors have to have their sound pads retracted upon threading: otherwise film leader would jam. A machine with such capability, is designed to have an extra inner leverage system positioning that performs the same task as it does during threading - no big deal, since that is already provided. In addition to Series 900 Eumigs, also all of the Sankyos and maybe Yelco have a "silent - mode". But the list could go on and I hope other forum members will help it grow.

--------------------
Maurizio

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 06, 2011 11:01 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct. The Eumig 800's keep the pressure on the heads at all time, except during threading. The Eumig 900's have a special position on the rotary knob for silent projection and the pressure pads are retracted at this position.
If you have a Eumig 900 and you want to save wear on the narrow balance track head (which always wears out first) when playing mono(as opposed to stereo) sound prints, Maurizio had a great idea, which I have also adopted. You take a pressure pad assembly from another old 900 projector and remove the plastic finger for the balance stripe. You can easily replace this modified pad into the 900 in a few seconds whenever you are playing mono prints.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 12:34 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Paul. I'm glad you are pleased with my little idea.

--------------------
Maurizio

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 07:47 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Sankyo 700 has a silent mode and I believe the sound pads are retracted.

[ December 07, 2011, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 08:03 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heads don't move, the sound pads do.

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC