8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CHINON SS-1200 - A Scope Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CHINON SS-1200 - A Scope Question
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 12:38 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a Chinon 1200. This one, in fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSJKngF3U5U

I was wondering about the original recessed lens. Due to space constraints, does anyone know if it is possible to replace it with a Scope lens? If so, which lens will fit?

Thanks,

Chris

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 03:25 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 'Scope lens available that will fit down the recessed compartment of the Chinon SS series. It was marketed in the UK by Walton and came in a box with a girl lying on a beach lounger. Iscomorphot S8/2x Isco Gottingen is the full name on the lens. I actually use one on my 35mm projector and they are of good quality.

You will need to bend one of the mirror retaining stops down to get the lens smoothly into place.

Finally, beware of scratching with these projectors. When they are worn all the plastic guides like to put faint lines down the sides of the frame so keep it lubricated up with something waxy. Perhaps Armorall is the way to go but I used to use Thermofilm when it had more wax in it than it had in the end. Possibly adding some beeswax to Thermofilm is something I should try. Great projectors for re-recording by the way.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 12:25 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

Thank you so much for the information. I was hoping I could run scope film. Now I have to find the lens and some anamorphic film. It would be awesome to find find a 1x400 or, better still, a 3x400 Cinevision "BEN-HUR". "STAR WARS" Part 2 would also be great.

I'm going to get some Thermofilm soon.

As for good re-recording, it is one of the reasons I bought this machine. I have a film with a damaged soundtrack. This will be the projector I use to learn how to fix it. I also have a copy of the 1x400 "Cat Ballou" that has sound issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIJqJoQVt1w

Once I copy the soundtrack from the DVD, edit it to fit the digest and record it in perfect sync, I will re-post it on Youtube. If I can't get it to work, I won't. [Frown]

I'm not sure when I will be able to get to any re-recording, though. This time of year I am very busy. Hopefully sometime next year.

Thanks again!

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 01:15 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris

I have the 400' Cat Balou. If you want I can record it to a CD and send it to you .

PatD

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 01:57 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pat!

Check your e-mail.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 08, 2011 02:28 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Phil over at Classic have the 2x Scope lens you are talking about.
I emailed him a few weeks ago and he said he only had an Iscorama 2x and it was only for projection.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC