8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Digests or Bonus Features

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digests or Bonus Features
Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 02:48 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When familiarizing myself with films, the first shock I received was to hear that butchered versions of great films were sold left, right and center. Most sales online, at least in the 8mm format, seem to be digests. My first thoughts were, why would anyone want to watch a condensed version of a great film. The only film I know of that benefited from severe edits is Cinema Paradiso. I can't imagine watching watching a digest even of the longest film, Lawrence of Arabia for example. What is the appeal? Why digests? Why not just watch the trailer? Why not just skip the movie?

In the modern world, the audience is brought very close to the film. Bonus, features, interviews, extended cuts, directorial cuts ..... so much so that many discs carry several versions of the same film. Today, a movie runs beyond its playing time as opposed to a reduced duration. There are so many interviews, behind the scenes takes of actors and directors that we actually know how they work. We know the people behind today's cinema. How I wish I'd known more about Buster Keaton, Fritz Lang, etc. Now we can only speculate.

Perhaps the little that is archived of films from the past helps create a mystery around it. There is more to debate.

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 03:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why digests? Why not just watch the trailer? Why not just skip the movie?
Yes, this is something I've never really been able to get either. It's peculiar to 8mm collectors.
I guess I can understand it back in the days when these digests were the only way to own many of these titles, as there was no video availability. However, these days with the wide availability of most titles on DVD the digest seems to be redundant.
Perhaps, for some, it's a nostalgia thing.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are talking about 1970s products.

During that day, not everyone was able to spend $150 for a full feature....not even for TODAY!

Akshay, just FYI, even for a digest alone was cost $52 for a 400'. Without need to include the inflation rate, to spend $50 for a home entertainment is kind of impossible nowadays.

Now if we include the inflation rate, $50 in 1970s will be around $150 in 2011's value and full feature will be around $450!!.

So during that day, people were forced to see digest because of the financial condition. Of course they wanted to see full feature.

Now we are in 2011 still collecting digest because of different reasons, while financial status might be one of the reason, but mostly we are doing that because:

1. Sentimental reason (nostalgia as Mike says above)
2. Not everyone has time to see full feature
3. Collecting habits (like to see original box, clean print, different edit, etc)
4. Investment (because some titles price keep rising)
5. Other may add.....

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 04:42 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, as Winbert says, I can probably also understand collecting these from a purely collecting point of view, as in boxes, etc.

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 05:20 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I didn't think of financial reasons for these digests to be popular. The point makes absolute sense. Come to think of it, it's our of many's reach to own Star Wars on film, but a digest will give the same person a feel for the that movie on film. This way a full version on BD and a feel for film can both be had. Yes, I am getting convinced.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC