8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex SP-80 vs. B & H, Keystone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex SP-80 vs. B & H, Keystone
Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2011 06:49 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys,

I purchased a Bolex SP-80 today. Most of it seems superb. The picture sharpness, size, quieter sound, etc. all point to the Bolex as the superior projector. However, film threading seems very very risky on the Bolex. In comparison to my B&H and Keystone K-100, the Bolex seems to have a non-film-friendly film-path. Some of my films didn't thread very well, I lost some leaders today. Also, I was enjoying 'Two Tars' when film again got stuck in the film-path ruining my copy of 'Two Tars'. [Mad] This never happened on my B&H and Keystone.

Does anyone concur with me?

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 04:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems with the SP models here. Attach some good leader to the film and make sure the end is properly trimmed. As with all things 24fps it is much safer with our now priceless films to thread at the slower speed of 18fps.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 05:04 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A surprisingly good idea to lace up at 18fps, but perhaps impractical with some machines such as the Elf, where the back has to be opened to change speed?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 05:19 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes 16mm another story, but perhaps consider a Bell & Howell TQIII with electronic switch on the back?
Happy Christmas one and all. [Smile]

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 06:14 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TQ111, excellent machine. Haven't had any trouble with lace up yet on mine, and you can lace manually as well, though haven't found it necessary.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 07, 2011 07:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something funky is happening with this Bolex. I've never had these problems with mine.

I especially don't like the fact that it ate a film mid reel. I've enever had that happen on any machine.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 07:44 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is it an old Acetate film you are showing perhaps badly shrunken in need of lubrication perhaps?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 07, 2011 08:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,

Akshay has the problem machine. My Bolex is actually kind of boring, it just functions uneventfully.

I've found it to be more tolerant of sub-par film than my Elmos. I have a couple of Blackhawk prints that jitter side to side in the Elmos which are steady on the Bolex.

Akshay, since you don't have the manual you need to know that when you remove the gate halves for cleaning you need to align the inching knob so the dot on it aligns with the dot on the chassis. If not you can damage the claw and that pretty much ends it for the machine.

You can find the knob at the rear of the machine. It spins when the film transport is operating.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 01:40 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this has been extremely helpful.

Once threaded and running, the projector seems to have trouble spinning the take-up reel on 400' reels that are fully loaded. Smaller reels, like 50' - 300' work very well. It feels like once the take-up reel is heavy with film, it can't spin as smoothly. It was so when it ate 'Two Tars' near the end. When I had this problem on my B&H, it had a warped belt which I duly replaced with two rubber-bands and now its superb. Could it be the belts here too? If I can't find belts for the Bolex SP-80, are there similar projector belts I could purchase? Eumig 800 series belts perhaps.

I lubricated my films, so that can't be the issue.

I read the operation manual very quickly. It didn't seem to have any mention of aligning projector gates. So, this helps. I actually took it out for cleaning yesterday. After that we watched 'Cops' and 'Busy Bodies'. The take-up reel struggled towards the finish, my heart was in my mouth, but it played through.

As for the projector, in comparison to my B&H and Keystone, the projection is far far superior. The size of the picture, the sharpness ..... ah! The Bolex SP-80 is the one I'd like to get up and running perfectly. Just wait till I get some sound films. :-) Of course, I need to make sure it runs perfectly first.

Thanks for everything guys. This forum has been kind to me.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 07, 2011 06:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can adjust the take up tension on the rear spool by removing the back cover and turning the spring loaded knob at the take up reel location.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2011 11:14 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you were right. I turned the knob clockwise, the spring compressed more, and the take-up reel began rotating smoothly. Can you explain why? Does a loaded spring help transfer more torque to the reels? I did the same for the front reel and now the projector even rewinds better! There must be a trade-off on this, is compressing the spring too much bad in anyway?

I was thinking there were issues with the belt. On opening the back cover I didn't see a belt!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC