8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A correction on my part (from OSI)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A correction on my part (from OSI)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 08, 2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a recent series of posts about bluish Derann prints, I commented on my print of "Fantasia 2000" being very bluish.

Well, that was and still is most certainly true, but I was surprised to see that, while it is very bluish, it is on AGFA film stock and not LPP.

I had assumed it was LPP. It surprised me in that I thought that Derann had long since stopped printing on AGFA and were by 2000 (or it might have been released in 2001, being that film film was released in either late 1999 or 200, I forget), strictly printing on LPP.

It just goes to show, (beyond myself being occasionally wrong), that you can have the absolute best film stock, but still botch it in the labs!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 08, 2011 09:33 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier prints would have been Agfa but I expect there are some LPP ones too. I can pinpoint when Derann switched from Agfa to Kodak as the first LPP print of this era I obtained was the reel that combined the Mr Bean intro with 'Spirit of America', so I'd be pretty sure that this appeared in 2002.

The Bluish look of 'Fantasia 2000' wasn't entirely down to the labs - there seems to have been a blue bias on the master, which is odd in view of Disney quality control. I heard of conversations in which Derann staff said that despite steps being taken to correct it, the lab couldn't entirely eliminate the bluish look, hence all prints apparently having this. I bought one and the combination of the colour and some stripe appearing within the frame caused me to return it for credit instead of a replacement.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC