8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Wanted: Fair Market Value on a Silma Memory Stereo 90 Super 8 projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanted: Fair Market Value on a Silma Memory Stereo 90 Super 8 projector
Frank Wylie
Junior

- posted December 09, 2011 06:50 AM      Profile for Frank Wylie   Email Frank Wylie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Glad to have found this forum! I have a friend who would like to sell me her Silma Memory Stereo 90 Super 8mm Projector, but I am unfamiliar with this Italian projector and need to know a fair market value to pay her. According to her, the projector was bought new, used once and boxed since the 1980's. Thanks for your assistance.

--------------------
Frank Wylie
"The first principal is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool" -- Richard Feynman

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 09, 2011 07:01 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is taking bigger reel, eg, 800 or even 1200 feet than I guess it will be around easily $150-200 at Ebay.

Any big capacity projector has better value in the market, and stereo feature (although not too many people have stereo films) is another selling point.

good luck

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 09, 2011 09:13 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, these machines were only taking 600ft spools. They were the next generation of the S2XX series by Silma and T17X, 18X and 19X by Bauer (Bauer projectors were manufactured by Silma). Since it hasn't been used for 30 years, a thorough inspection is de rigueur, as well as a good lube. The electronics could be dry so cleaning of all circuits shouldn't be neglected.
Jürgen Lossau's book evaluated this machine at 95.00.

Welcome to the forum, Frank

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2011 09:14 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very similar to Bauers (mid of the range), especially the Syncro 430. Very gentle on film, very silent, very good sound (stereo) with many recording facilities, feather touch operation-control, but reel capacity limited to 600', 100 W bulb and no upper sprocket drum. Plus a lot of electronics controlling the various operation mode.

--------------------
Maurizio

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2011 09:51 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With old projectors, they are worth what someone is willing to pay for them and what a person is willing to sell them for. Prices for similar machines sometimes vary widely on Ebay. Since this is the original owner, she may think it is worth way more than it actually is. See if she will state an asking price to give you an idea what is on her mind. If it is to high, be careful in offering a more reasonable price as she may have some strong personal attachment to the projector. I doubt that is the case if she only used it once, but you don't want her to become indignant.

[ December 09, 2011, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Frank Wylie
Junior

- posted December 09, 2011 10:48 AM      Profile for Frank Wylie   Email Frank Wylie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions and the welcome! I have yet to see the machine, but just wanted to give her a fair price, as she is leaving it up to me to set the price. I have a fair number of Silent features on 1200 reels, so I will have to rig a long play pedestal to watch them.

--------------------
Frank Wylie
"The first principal is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool" -- Richard Feynman

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2011 03:32 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful: this machine is void of the upper sprocket drum; these machine thend to work best when used with 400' reels, way less well with 600'. Let alone using bigger reels. Unless your rig has an additional sprocket to unwind the film from the spool more gently.

--------------------
Maurizio

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2011 03:38 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But they are very quiet machines as a result of not having the upper sprocket and they are also beautiful to look at, particularly when running with all the blue lighting on.

I would value an unused Silma Blue Memory higher than Juergen, probably about £200.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 10, 2011 06:06 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an interesting machine.
Has anybody got a picture of one of these?

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2011 10:26 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, there are a number of photos of this projector on Google Images.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 10, 2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mal. I'll take a look.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2011 05:47 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drop me an email Mike and I'll dig out a photo of mine set up to run when I took some snaps for an issue of 'Small Format' a couple of years ago.

Actually I hope to get my Blue Memory out to run a few old cut downs and things in the living room in the coming days. I tend to do this in the Winter so we can sit around the fire with a projector running. Nice.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Frank Wylie
Junior

- posted December 13, 2011 08:09 AM      Profile for Frank Wylie   Email Frank Wylie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Maurizio; thanks for that information. Maybe this is not the best machine for my particular application, but it does sound like a nice projector for standard size reels.

--------------------
Frank Wylie

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 14, 2011 01:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John C, Thanks for those pics. Nice and unusual looking projector.
Given the position of the take-up reel, manual loading onto it is impossible right? I mean if, as sometimes happens, the leader just doesn't engage with the take-up reel?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2011 03:19 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole area with the display screen and controls slides out and drops down meaning you can get to the take-up spool. It is a very easy projector to use and extremely quiet. But it can struggle with frame stability on some prints probably owing to the lack of a top sprocket.

I've run plenty of 'Scope stereo features on multiple 600ft reels through it in the past without any problems. For a good budget machine or for a beginner wanting decent stereo sound I'd recommend it.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC