8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Need Some help on Frame Rate for telecine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Some help on Frame Rate for telecine
Don Huber
Junior

- posted December 10, 2011 06:12 PM      Profile for Don Huber   Email Don Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the moviestuff workprinter hd (great unit). Done the capturing of reg 8 and super 8 and super 8 with sound. The Velocity HD software will let me convert it to what ever frame rate I want. I think reg 8 is suppose to be at 16fps and the super 8 at 18fps or 24fps? Is this right. When I do the reg 8 at 16 it seems slow. Any help here would be great.
Thanks
D.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 10, 2011 07:50 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are going to want to use either 30(29.97)fps or 24fps and your software should create the desired pull-down.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Don Huber
Junior

- posted December 11, 2011 01:55 AM      Profile for Don Huber   Email Don Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you wanted to play back at the frame rate it was film originally at. But again when I do 16fps, it seems sloooow. Is it just trial and error? Anyone else have similar units with results?
thanks
D.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2011 04:05 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's perfectly possible. Reg 8 is SUPPOSED to be 16fps, but if the camera the material was taken with was NOT running at 16fps, but something faster, then re-creating at 16fps WOULD appear slow.
Try another pass at 18, and judge that.
That is the beauty of frame capture software... you can correct for inaccurate camera speeds.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Don Huber
Junior

- posted December 11, 2011 08:48 AM      Profile for Don Huber   Email Don Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin,
Let's say 16 is obviously too slow. But can you really tell a difference between 18 and 20? 24 and 24p are the other two choices; not sure what the difference with these are? Sometimes that's easy to tell 24/24p is too fast. Either way it takes some serious time to process each and I've got a fast pc. Its got a batch setting but without knowing each fps, that's useless. How do you judge the speed when it's beginning to all look similar when it's only 2 fps faster?
Regards,
D.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, Don, the only way is too try it!
Before I transfer each reel of film I first transfer 30 seconds or so.... and do a speed check on that. I then know the correct speed for that reel.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 11, 2011 05:01 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked a friend of mine who has a workprinter what framerate he was using. He said it should be 18fps for 8mm...but he has created a custom setting for 17fps, which he uses more often because he thinks it looks more natural. He then places the compiled file created by cinecap into an Adobe Premiere 30fps project for editing.

--------------------
Janice

Don Huber
Junior

- posted December 11, 2011 05:18 PM      Profile for Don Huber   Email Don Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks for your help. I'm going to try that out. Is the cinecap the same as the Velocity HD software? It takes a while for it to do the processing and that will save me a ton of time and electricity and that right now is needed to power the amount of light I put up this year for the kiddos.
Thanks
D.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 11, 2011 09:14 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Cinecap and Velocity are basically the same (written by the same guy). I believe Cinecap only runs on an XP OS...but framerate output should work the same.

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC