8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 1200 question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 1200 question
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2011 12:24 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK so I had to dust off my Chinon again because I went off and bought a brand new item that is stereo (the Super 8 trailer from Reel Image) and i want to run it this sat for some friends to show them that Super 8 (the format) ain't just for kids anymore, that you can have scope and stereo prints. Naturally i am having some issues..OK I know that projectors that are sitting and collecting dust are never happy projectors, so here are the issues i need help with..

1 - there is a very high pitched squeal come through the sound. If that is too vague I can shoot a short video tomorrow.

2 - There is this film destroyer at the back that is actually worse than the elmo film destroyer as this one has a wheel that is not turning and a contained shoot that i cannot get into and clean.....I am asking what the best way is to open this part up so I can clean it and figure out why this wheel is not turning.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2011 12:34 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the help guys [Frown]

But don't worry i solved things...The squeal turned out to be two loose screws...never would have thought that but good thing I looked everywhere for something that didn't seem right...

The next thing I was able to get that piece off and fix the exit area so the wheel will turn again but I am asking another Chinon owner PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSE? ?? ? It will take 2 seconds take the front off take a pic and post...

What is this part supposed to look like? When I took it apart it was sort of wedged as it is in the picture which doesn't look right to me, but I know it affects the auto on/off of the lamp.

-

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2011 03:15 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hardly anyone used the Chinon SS series Dino so there is very little information out there. I used mine for years before it wore out but it did take a battering over those years. When it was new it was extremely accurate at keeping a constant speed and I could sync' complete features up to laser discs for shows. Some of the re-recordings I obtained were of very good quality.

Down side is the plastic guide wear that causes scratching, particularly down the right hand side of the frame. Rarely serious but the lines are there.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2011 08:39 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino, saw your post on this mate and i uploaded this picture of my chinnon 1200.It looks in the same position to me as yours.You are right in that this has something to do with the lamp, but if you look to the bottom of this mechanism a small wheel is must engage with the film as it lace's around the bottom sprocket, this pivots to engage a microswitch which is under this.What i did notice is a lot of debre in and around that sprocket where it lace's around the ,you will need to clean there at least.

[ December 15, 2011, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Paul Browning ]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2011 03:32 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, I checked my CHINONs but I only have two 7500s...they look different from your 1200, and of course not stereo machines. You mention your SUPER 8 trailer from Steve is STEREO, are you sure? I got mine and it's scope but NOT stereo. If yours is, I'm sending mine back to be re-recorded! [Confused]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2011 11:12 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe [Eek!] that explains a lot....I have been fiddling all night trying to figure out why the stereo was not working....I never buy new releases so I just assumed it was stereo....OOPS...Hilarious I could have just used the Elmo...Now I need to find a stereo short since I went through all this trouble...

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2011 03:28 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not re-record it on your SS-1200? Have a test record down the leader to make sure the stripe is okay and then a couple of tests to ensure good sync' can be achieved before finally sticking the record buttons in.

Incidentally, you have to go in via the DIN connection on these machines. The line-in jacks results in low volume - gawd knows why.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC