8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Re-recording my Derann prints

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Re-recording my Derann prints
Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2011 06:24 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can i re record my movies in dutch sub with my dvd player?
And where i can find the pitchcontrol on my st1200?
I want to know exactly what i must to do,to re-record my Derann prints.
I became uncle for the first time and now i want dutch language in stereo
for my upcoming nephew or cousin.
And is it possible te keep the English track?

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 26, 2011 04:50 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hii Jeroen,

Of course if you want to dub it to stereo in Dutch, you cannot keep the English track because there are only two stripes in every prints (used for left and right track). You can only have both languages in mono.

If you want to keep the English track. It is better for you to play the DVD dutch as the sound source.

I don't think ST1200 has pitch control because it uses AC motor (cmiiw).

The other alternative which I knew but I haven't tried either is to install DJ software that nowadays is also capable to play movie with pitch control. So you can control the DVD speed from the computer should the sound drifting.

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2011 05:16 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,and what must i need for stuff,important what cord and plugs i need?I have virtual dj on my system to use the pitch.
but what else?picture please,the rest i can do it myself!
Must i need two stereo plugs?headphone out my computer and aux in from the elmo?

Jeroen

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 26, 2011 07:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeroen,

If you have known virtual DJ then you can find that it can play MP4 for movie. So you don't need to have cord or plug just play the movie from your computer at the same time your 8mm played.

In this case you will not need to delete the original English track. Having the English track is more selling point in the future :-)

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2011 09:49 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using a PC there are many ways, but here is the way I do it.

1) Connect my PC/Mac to the Elmo GS-800 using a standard audio minijack-minijack cable.

2) Find a suitable clip of the film I want to dub. Usually, I rip the whole film from a DVD so I can control it frame-by-frame on the computer.

3) Do test runs with film and projector both playing side-by-side, but not recording, so I can sync them using the computers speedup/down feature. If you have a projector with a speed control, such as the GS-800, it helps a little too.

4) Once I'm sure that I have a good sync on it, I start recording. Often, I do it little-by-little, to ensure that the recording sounds smooth. It's a pity to record a full reel to then find out the audio is too low/high, having to do the entire reel again!

Tips for those who use 1200'+ reel size machines:
Splice the smaller reels unto bigger reels. For instance if you have a 6x400' feature, it's much easier dubbing it in two sessions rather than six :-)

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2011 03:27 PM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou Christian i can do something with this,very helpfull i go try to do what you say.

Best Jeroen

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2011 03:36 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest this is not worth attempting with an ST1200. Keep a lookout for a projector better suited for recording and wait until then. Ideally for this job you need a GS1200 but other machines do keep good constant speeds and the Chinon SS1200 is particularly good in this regard - however, if a Chinon is well used the speed does start to vary.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2011 04:08 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been thinking about re-recording some prints, just shorts and trailers as I dont collect features anyway, but i dont have a GS 1200 or any syncing equipment, so i have been thinking of a way around to do this. The aim is to create a nice sound master on the computer that runs to the correct length. My plan was to film on a DV camcorder the chosen projector that will be used to do the transfer, running the film and playing the current sound track. The quality of this is not important and is used only as a reference for pic and sound timing relationship.
I then plan to put this DV footage in to a editing programme (premiere) on the PC, building a project at 25fps(PAL) as I am in the UK. I would then import the clean, master sound from a DVD in to the premiere project and match it to the DV footage. I expect that I may have to 'stretch' the sound from the dvd from 25fps to 24fps, but having the DV reference footage will help and I will be able to see the sound waveform of both sources together to visually match them. I would also build an audio 'plop' on the 3 on the countdown and build another plop on the end 'tail' frame so that during the transfer the end plop will give me some indication of drift, if any, in terms of sync.
After creating the master track on the computer the next stage is to transfer it to the films mag stripe. I do have a elmo 1200 and a chinon 7800h but would use the chinon as it has 'electronic' speed control. I imagine this provides a 'fixed' speed (24fps) better than the elmos mechanical system? The track would be played from the computer straight in to the projector. The sound file would be lined up on the computer just one frame before the plop on 3. When the projector gets to 3, l click on the mouse, as fast i can, and hope for the best!
This is a theoretical idea but I hope to do some experiments after xmas. I would interested if anyone else has gone down this route or if anyone can see some pitfalls here.

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2011 10:42 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it was no problem,i'am very good in the job because i have the movie with picture and projector near eachother and the program from Christian and it works fine.
But thanks,first i make the sound later after recording it on my computer i check the movie!
I like to do some experiments.

Jeroen

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2011 03:30 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Martin! Your concept for an audio transfer workflow, is interesting and might work, but it is based on the assumption that che chosen projector will run in a perfectly consistent way for each performance, i.e. when importing the S/8 footage onto premiere and when transferring the synced sound back on to the film. Which is a 'wrong' assumption, because a projector only works consistently IF quatrzed. That's what a GS 1200 does when equipped with a sync-box (but several other projectors - with elecronically controlled speed). True it is, you might still get perfect sync with your workflow, but it might drift after a few minutes; actually this is almost certain.

But it might be interesting to experiment your method and O do hope you'll share your results.

--------------------
Maurizio

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2011 02:53 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the results I have seen from others who have attempted such recordings the sync' tends to be rubbery at best. The only realistic way to do re-recordings is to get a projector capable of the job and they're not expensive. With the right projector all you need is a DVD player and the leads to connect to the audio inputs of the projector. It may take a while to get used to the procedure but good stereo re-recordings are easy compared to all this other messing about with video editing software.

Having slagged off the video editing software method I have to admit I was forced to use this method for one re-recording - that was for the Star Trek episode 'The Deadly Years' owing to the Super 8 print having missing frames all over the place. So I transferred the print to the PC, ripped the VOB files from the DVD and cut the Super 8 to match. The resultant DVD provided a one-stop solution to the re-recording and I can also use for sync' pulse shows which is far preferable as the sound stripe was sub-standard.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2011 04:14 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurizio and John for your info. So which projectors should l look out for on ebay for instance that are suitable for linking to a dvd player, apart from the GS1200? I imagine the list is not that long.
Is their anything specific that the DVD player should have in terms of sockets, and should the dvds be pal only or ntsc, or does it not matter.
Incidentally the stereo recording is not important to me. I just want a better mono fidelity on the shorts/ trailers I collect. Thanks.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2011 06:08 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually quarz synced S/8 projectors are very few: apartfrom the GS 1200 (which needs an external box easy to find), a machine that was built 'syced' in its own fashion (meaning without the need to use other equipment) was the Yelco 3600: a wonderful machine, in some respcts superior to the Elmo itself but really rare.

For a lower budget, you might try the Braun Visacustic 2000 with its proprietory sync box, but again it's a 2-piece set and not very easy to find together (or in perfect condition).

Speed issues: You can use a PAL player, provided the projector you want to use can run at 25 fps: that's the actual speed films are reversed on DVD's for home video release. I'd rather pay much more attention to the playuer as regards this feature: how long does it pause when shifting from one layer of the DVD to the other? Even a fraction of a second may be too long causing the loss of your sync.

Incidentally this is a reason why I always prefer to go through the lengthy process of "NLE prep"; another reason is that with certain films finding the initial starting point is quite difficult and I don't like to run my (or others') print in reverse more than strictly necessary.

I hope I have addressed all of your query, but if you have more don't hesitate to ask.

--------------------
Maurizio

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2011 03:16 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Maurizio for your aditional info. I guess I will have to join the queue for a GS1200!
Those other machines you menion are rare but I'm sure I saw a Braun Visacustic earlier in the year on Ebay.
I will have a go at my experiment in the meantime on a trailer and post my results.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2011 05:13 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A GS1200 is the ideal but other projector with variable speed control can do the job with a little practice.

I like the Yelco Quartz machines but I don't think you can compare them to the GS1200. Similarly with the Chinon SS1200. The GS1200 is in a league of its own but of course that tends to come at a price - not only in terms of cost but the simple fact is these machines have comparatively complicated electronics so there is more that can go wrong. Not to worry, Bill Parsons is still servicing these machines to the highest levels so even a basket case may be salvageable (as my HTI machine proved!).

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2011 10:07 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was experiment something with my Elmo SR1200HD,but the sound was terrible there was a terrible sound zooming and i couldn´t hear the voices.
What did i wrong?tell me please. [Razz]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2011 03:33 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the ST range of Elmo projectors very well at all but have it in my head that they are not ideal for recording work. Perhaps others can enlighten me here? But one thing I did think about last night was the Chinon SS1200 initially seemed very poor for re-recording (audio far too low) until I tried connecting up through the DIN input rather than the line-in jacks. Perhaps the ST1200 has a similar foible.

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2011 09:11 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John,
I think the ST uses an AC motor,not sure what makes it not suitable apart from the speed control.I use a GS1200 with a sync box to re-record my films and also have an SS1200 Chinon with speed control that i've used in the past,Your right about the din plug John as using that gives pretty good results! Most of the variable speed machines which can go to 25fps+/- can be used,The later Eumig stereo machines don't have the range i've found in the past for the UK dvd's,The Chinon range are affordable but as usual check for wear whichever machine you buy/use,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC