8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » star wars empire 200ft BLACK AND WHITE (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: star wars empire 200ft BLACK AND WHITE
Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2011 02:04 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So i recently purchased the 200ft version of star wars empire strikes back. Ive read that there is no sound directly on the reel but instead came with a cassette tape. Does anyone have this cassette digitally on their computers that wouldnt mind sharing with me???!?!?! [Big Grin] I dont know where else to look for it and i would super duper appreciate it!!!

Also, i read that there is a sound stripe on the film? so im thinking i can just record the cassette directly on the film if i get ahold of the cassette sound!

--------------------
All your films belong to me :) just kidding, we can shares!

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 28, 2011 02:36 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 200ft version on YouTube...but I don't know if it's the same edit you have. If it is then you can download and extract the audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe-RsOHwsE

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2011 03:12 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony,

I have this 200' edition.
The film is also scored with the identical cassette sound track and it's not mute.
No worries.

The posted link is the 200' Star Wars. It's a prank with a bogus soundtrack.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2011 07:47 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@janice thats the first star wars 200ft version, the 200ft im talking about is for Empire strikes back. Nonetheless @michael said its a joke soundtrack which i can tell haha

@michael so just to clarify do you have the star wars #1 200ft or were you talking about the 200ft of Empire strikes back?

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 28, 2011 08:15 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony,

I also have this version and as Michael said it does have a sound stripe with audio. I assume Ken decided it wasn't worth striking silent prints. Ken had earlier released a 200' version of Alien with an audio cassette, however that print had no audio stripe.

The color on my 200' Empire isn't bad.

-

-

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2011 10:40 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you doug [Smile] i am super excited then! i was worried i was getting star wars without and sounds! [Big Grin]

much thanks to all of you that helped me out [Smile]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 29, 2011 07:36 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the added cassette was "free", it's interesting that Ken thought that people without sound projectors would be willing to pay the price of a print with sound, but maybe the cassette was sufficient incentive.

I can add a point which adds to the mystery regarding possible silent prints. At a 1980s Derann Open Day I attended, Derann had quite a few (maybe about 20) black and white 200' silent versions of 'Empire Strikes Back' in a bargain bin. I have a very clear recollection of this, partly because I was surprised to see that this edition existed, and also because Derek brought them up to the cinema when the auction took place (presumably because few had previously sold) and then sold them off for a very cheap price, maybe 50p each. As they were not in boxes and this would have been after Derann bought the remaining Ken stock, I wondered if they could possibly have been a batch that Ken had printed as a test and then decided not to sell, or perhaps they were the last prints and they had run out of boxes. Did anyone ever see this edition on sale?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 29, 2011 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's interesting!

Can anybody verify exactly what the edit is on this 200ft Empire? Does it have the asteroid sequence? I would love to know. From what I understand, there was no new footage contained in the 200ft digest to add to the 2X400ft.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2011 02:13 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well when i receive my 200ft copy of my empire, ill let you know which one it is. THe guy said he didnt know if it had sound and that he thought it was in black and white but he didnt have a projector to check. (could have just been looking at the titles) It had no box either.

It may be this mysterious black and white no sound version!! dunno if thats a good or bad thing haha

--------------------

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2011 01:52 AM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey Osi, the guy said there is the asteroid scene in the reel, but again, i will verify when i get it in the mail

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 30, 2011 06:25 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony - if it does prove to be the b/w silent version, I'd be very interested to know if it has added captions/subtitles specifically for silent viewing. If it does, I suspect it has historic significance as being the very last film that these were added to for an 8mm release!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 30, 2011 11:12 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wrote a quick review of this version.

Anthony,

Don't read it if you want to be surprised!

Osi,

I haven't watched the 2x400' in a while, so I'm not sure if this has any extra footage.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2011 11:55 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly it doesn't, but that 200ft version is still a gem.

Adrian, your story of those B&W versions is intriguing!!!

I need to get on with building my time machine... [Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2011 09:34 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this new through Blackhawk Films and it cost $39.99.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2012 08:45 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty guys so i got my film in!

It is indeed a BLACK AND WHITE, NO sound or sound stripe.

so i guess the question now is, does someone have a digital copy of the sound cassette for this? Since this is without the sound stripe. I still wonder if its the same cut/edit as the sound and color 200ft version.

or Is anyone interested in trading their extra copy of a color&sound version of empire for this version to complete their collection? haha

[ January 09, 2012, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Anthony Buhay ]

--------------------

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2012 02:06 AM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone? anyone? bueller? lol

I was going to take some screen caps of it tonight and show ya guys, but my projector just blew its first bulb since ive had it. (4 months)

When the new bulb comes in ill take some screen shots of it.

YOU KNOW WHAT! it just dawned on me... what if these black and white no color prints were meant to go into production and the cassettes they included with the color and sound prints were actually meant to go with b&w ones?? But instead ken films decided no one wanted black and white no sound and ditched the few black and whites they made and just sent out the cassettes with the color versions?

Just an idea.

--------------------

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2012 06:46 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just took a look at my old Ken catalog, and it lists F63 The Empire Strikes Back as being available in "200 and 400 Color Sound." No mention of cassettes or B/W.

But what surprised me was seeing F64 Star Wars (Vol II) being available in "200 and 400 Color Sound." Can anyone here confirm the existence of a 200-ft F64?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 10, 2012 12:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! There's some interesting info there ...

I would be curious if there was a 200ft digest of the part 2! I would hope that it would basically be just the last battle sequence, which would certainly make a fine 200ft "part 2" release!

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 04:50 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly I doubt a 200ft version of Star Wars Pt. 2 exists but I'd love to be proved wrong!

I think the catalogue listing was probably done before Ken started changing their minds about certain releases as video loomed. Apparently Empire was originally going to be 3 x 400ft...if only...

Marketing Films listed films such as Raiders of the Lost Ark as 3 x 400ft issues, but video put an end to such releases.

In the 70's, didn't some silent super 8 projectors have cassette players built in? I'm sure I remember seeing these...I guess Ken were trying to appeal to owners of these machines with their film & tape releases (as well ad anyone with a silent projector and tape deck!)

That B&W silent remains fascinating...I wonder if we'll ever know the truth??

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 11, 2012 01:31 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Noris machines had built-in casssette decks, indeed.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 11, 2012 09:47 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony - I wondered if your b/w silent 200' Empire has any of the captions or subtitles that were customary with Ken silent releases? If so, that would indicate that it's a 'special' version for silent viewing only, and not simply a b/w non-striped version of the 200' colour edition.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2012 06:03 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Adrian.

I noticed that the box doesn't state "superimposed titles", as most Ken silent films did.

Thinkning about it now, maybe Ken figured it would be cheaper to make a cassette tape for sound, then to make an actual negative, and produce the superimposed titles on it. Makes sense.

James.

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2012 09:09 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i got my new bulbs and here is whats on it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GzX7vsIe5A

It seems like its just a black and white without sound stripe version of the 200ft empire.

Its 8minutes long at 18fps. Which i found strange. My other star wars is recorded at 24

oh and also the reel/film had nothing written on. no ken films writing or date or anything! just leader with the countdown and the end ends with white.

[ January 17, 2012, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Anthony Buhay ]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 17, 2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT is a very well edited 200ft edition of Empire Strikes Back part 1! It makes me really want to go out and get that if it happens to pop up, (I mean the color one with the cassette)!

Thanks for that video

--------------------

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2012 01:53 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony, the proper speed for that film is 24 fps. You've got it going a little slow there at 18fps. Neat film! B&W is better than faded pink color. [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC