8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark S Sound Projector - Super 8 and Standard 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark S Sound Projector - Super 8 and Standard 8?
Craig Gilchrist
Junior

- posted December 31, 2011 05:56 AM      Profile for Craig Gilchrist   Email Craig Gilchrist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and looking for some information on a projector I bought recently. I hope it's not too cheeky for my first post to be a desperate cry for help...

I don't know much about them, but understood that it was a dual format projector, but the sprockets are too big to pick up a Super 8 film, so it appears they are standard 8.

The projector didn't come with any other sprockets to swap in, so I'm unsure whether I've just bought a 'lemon' and it's only a Standard 8 projector, or whether I am just missing a couple of sprockets to swap out to use Super 8.

Here's a picture of the projector I got:
 -

So, I figure this forum has got to be the best place to find out whether my projector *should* play Super 8, or not.

Trying to find information on it has been difficult, as they typically seem to have a number associated with them (e.g. 810D), but this one doesn't have any other number on it, as far as I can see; just "Eumig Mark-S".

Thanks for any info.
Craig.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2011 06:30 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig, The only information I've found listed for "Mark S" says it's a Super 8 ONLY...

http://www.super8data.com/ Click on the projector picture at top of page, then Eumig, then Mark S...

but the picture differs from yours!
Any one shed light?
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2011 06:55 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig,
welcome to the forum,Looking at your picture i'd say it was a standard 8 only machine,Eumig did produce single gauge machines that look similar but i'm pretty sure the Mark S super 8 machines had super 8 written on them by the Mark S badge.The later machines had dual gauge sound with the interchangeable sprockets,models 709,712 and 810 along with a few others ,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Craig Gilchrist
Junior

- posted December 31, 2011 09:24 AM      Profile for Craig Gilchrist   Email Craig Gilchrist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys. After spending some time searching link after link I'm pretty convinced it's standard-8 only. Pretty annoying, as I probably paid more for it than I should have, but it's in good condition, so I just need to buy some standard-8 films now!

Tommy Woods
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2011 12:33 PM      Profile for Tommy Woods   Email Tommy Woods   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig and welcome,I have one of these and your quite right std 8mm only,a robust machine in my opinion

Tommy

--------------------
Let there be light,so god created the projector

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 05:09 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems the dual gauge Eumig projector of this series is called "Mark 8". Just found the following on an Austrian sales page:
 -
You can find it on: Eumig Mark 8

--------------------
Alex

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 05, 2012 05:27 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Craig. Eumig produced two versions of this machine, one being Standard 8mm sound and the other being Super 8mm sound only. Both machines coined the name work horses as they were very solidly built although today you may need to let the old girl warm up for a few minutes prior to projecting films. The machine you have has a valve amplifier fitted opposed to the more modern transistor type and it is a simple job to replace a valve if you need to, sort of a plug and play of the day. The good news is that lamps for these (A1/215) are low cost so you do actually have an ideal starter machine albeit Standard 8 which it seems was not what you were after. Later machines were the 700 range and the more desirable 800 range on which some feature the HQS logo (high quality sound). I started out with the Eumig 807D in the earlier part of the 1970’s by the way so either the 810D, 824D or the 807D are good choices, oh and welcome to the forum!

Craig Gilchrist
Junior

- posted January 06, 2012 09:58 AM      Profile for Craig Gilchrist   Email Craig Gilchrist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the extra replies. It's good to know it has a reputation for being a sturdy/workhorse machine - certainly seems sturdy, but being made of so many kilos of metal certainly helps that.

Just waiting on an standard-8 take-up reel so I can properly test it, but it seems to glow and whir where it's supposed to.

Charles Kenward
Junior

- posted February 10, 2013 11:37 AM      Profile for Charles Kenward   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Kenward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All.

I have just joined the forum after looking out some of my father's old film and projectors.

Among them is a Eumig Mark S (with no numbers after the "S"!) identical to the one pictured in this thread.

We have had it running and showed some old home made films, and while the picture quality is good, there appears to be a problem with the running speed- Specifically it appears to be running too slow even with the speed control adjusted to maximum.
We have changed the input voltage setting but this appears to have made very little difference.
We have also had problems where the buld has remained lit even after the motor is stopped, resulting in burned films!

I wondered if:
  • any members have the same projector and have suffered similar problems and/or could suggest a solution?
  • any member might have a manual for this particular model? (I have seen several in web searches but they all appear to be for a Mark "S" followed by numbers (e.g. 810, 712 etc) whereas this one is just a Mark "S".
If anyone could point me to a manual online or alternatively has one that they could copy, I would be very glad to hear from them; I am naturally happy to cover delivery costs etc.
Indeed, any information about the mark "S" as distinct from the other variations would be most appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Charlie

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 16, 2013 06:50 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig, the version in the first picture is for STD 8MM, hence the
dark grey sprockets and gate, the versions that follwed later for S/8, had light blue sprockets and gate..The dual projectors had sets of each.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 16, 2013 06:51 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig, the version in the first picture is for STD 8MM, hence the
dark grey sprockets and gate, the versions that follwed later for S/8, had light blue sprockets and gate..The dual projectors had sets of each.

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2013 08:21 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Charles!
Your problem has been described a few times in this forum as many different models of Eumig developed the same problem: the film advance is driven by a metal ball that runs on rubber plates; you will see the construction when you open the back of the projector. The rubber has gone hard with time and this makes the metal ball slip and your projector slower than it should be.
Many different solutions have been suggested starting from treating the rubber surface with very fine sanding paper to applying isopropyl or other alcohol - search the forum for it. Personally I did the treatment with the sanding paper and it made everything working fine.

--------------------
Alex

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 16, 2013 08:46 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander

I have also used "belt grip" available here is USA and used for auto belts. It comes in a spray can and is used to recondition dried belts that slip and squeak. It Makes the belts or in this case the rubber plates "stickey" so they grab better.

Good luck

PatD

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Craig

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

You still bought a good projector. These things are work horses and because it is "dedicated " to standard 8mm will treat the films better. At least in my opinion I think that "dedicated" proctors are more gentle on films versus the dual format ones.

PatD

Charles Kenward
Junior

- posted February 17, 2013 09:21 AM      Profile for Charles Kenward   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Kenward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to those of you who have replied- I will search the forum and see what I can find.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 17, 2013 11:42 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree Pat, one machine-one gauge=happy collector.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC