8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Uk Sankyo, to the States ??? Advice please, Thanks.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Uk Sankyo, to the States ??? Advice please, Thanks.
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 03, 2012 08:51 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I`ve got a friend in the states has had terrible luck with his own machine, then ebay as well, so I thought an option might be to send him my great little 501 so hes sorted.

I just wondered please on the Hertz situation, Post would be £55 with Fedex, so if it travels ok be alright for a nice 501 as its a belter for those.

Anyway its just thoughts to try and help him out of a cine hole so appreciate any advice on whether it will run ok etc or even other post possibilities please.

Many Thanks in advance.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2012 10:10 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

super8data.com says: "power source: 100-110-117-125-200-220-240 V AC, 50/60 Hz, 190 W". USA should currently have "120V AC, 60Hz", so check if your projector really can be switched to "117V AC, 60Hz" or "125V AC, 60Hz". If yes, then you'll probably still need an adapter for the plug - but that's normally a cheap item (10 EUR or less).

Jörg

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 03, 2012 10:19 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For electronic equipments that sensitive to frequency such as projector, hertz will be an issue because it can be slower or faster the motor speed. I don't think Sankyo has a dual pulley for these two different frequencies like Elmo's. But Sankyo does have speed adjustment on the board. But it needs a bit trick to adjust the 50hz machine to the correct speed at 60hz country.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 03, 2012 12:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the type of motor.

If it's an AC motor the speed will go up or down depending on the line frequency. If it's a DC motor it is fed with a DC voltage (With as much as possible of the "Hertz" filtered out) and the line frequency doesn't matter.

If there really is a speed adjustment potentiometer inside, it basically has to be DC motor.

A lot of the time it's possible to get a replacement cord with the right plug on it, otherwise the old cord can have the plug replaced...provided the replacer knows what they are doing.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 03, 2012 01:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If it's a DC motor it is fed with a DC voltage (With as much as possible of the "Hertz" filtered out) and the line frequency doesn't matter.

Steve are you sure that DC motor does not sensitive to frequency?

Why it does happen to all Turntables (Record Player) which they are obviously using DC motor? only in most turntables, there are speed adjustment (pitch adjustment) so we only need to monitor the strobe light to get it stable (on either frequency) so we get 0% speed = normal speed.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 03, 2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Winbert!

A true DC voltage (for example a battery) is constant at some level and has no frequency. What makes AC "Alternating Current" is the fact that the voltage is always changing level and polarity and the waveform repeats itself. The number of times it repeats per second is the frequency.

Now, in the real world what we call "DC" usually has a little AC ripple floating on top of it, but this is just a remnant of the AC that the DC was derived from. In an audio circuit this will come out as hum because it's frequency is in our range of hearing. The frequency of this shoudn't effect the speed of a DC motor, because that depends on the DC voltage powering it and the guts of a mechanical drive are massive enough to average the effect of a relatively tiny AC waveform to zero.

I've never taken a turntable apart, so I don't know what powers them. They could be AC motored.

Happy New Year!

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2012 03:19 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't assume turntables' motors are DC: mine has different sets of strobe elements for each speed (33 and 45 RPM) AND for mains frequency (50 & 60 Hz). I think you shouldn't compara these motors to projectors this easily.

As for the Sankyo: if the label on the back cover states 50 and 60 Hz (and the proper voltage) it's no problem to run the machine in the USA; in fact Sankyo's don't have soeed change via pulley changeover; the switch to one to the other is obtained by a different circuit on the small circuit which feeds the motor: so it has to be DC and it's non- mains frequency sensitive. True, projecors like the older Elmos and most of Eumigs resent frequency; in fact on some models, Eumig explained how to adapt a machine to a frequency different from th one it was orignally intended for.

--------------------
Maurizio

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 03, 2012 06:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, my knowledge is enhanced.

I only know by experience and know nothing about all technical/electrical things.

So Mark you can go ahead...

--------------------
Winbert

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 05, 2012 01:02 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you people, looks as if it will be ok if we do try it.

Best Mark.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 05, 2012 01:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark,

Maybe you should go to the store and buy your friend a travel adapter if there is any doubt about replacing the plug.

Friends in the UK sent our son a toy for Christmas that has a wall mount power supply with a European style plug. (oops!) The interesting thing is input voltage-wise it could actually operate on our house current, but we just can't plug it in.

The moral of this story is we can't go the travel adapter route from over here because the ones we see in the stores are for plugging North American appliances into European (and other) outlets, not the other way around. (Maybe if we went to an airport..)

Fortunately I found a North American power supply with the same output voltage, power and connector style so we are fixing it that way.

You wouldn't even need a voltage converter if the projector is configurable: just one of those with the plug on one side and the outlet on the other.

--------------------

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This projector is multi-voltage...

--------------------
Maurizio

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 05, 2012 07:03 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most Elmo projector (if not all) are made multi voltage, no matter it is for US market or Europe. I bought my GS and ST both are stated to be only 110v only but after opening the back cover, there is a voltage switcher there with wires connected to all voltage options.

So maybe they only made one type but to follow the local regulation in North America not to have voltage selector, they covered it.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC