8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Exorcist 400'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Exorcist 400'
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 04, 2012 02:44 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recived as a gift the 400' digest of The Exorcist. It has terrific color. However, I believe it has a stereo soundtrack. The film has 2 brown stripes on the it. When I play it on my Elmo ST1200 the sound is out of sink. Should I re-record the sound? [Confused]

Thanks

PatD

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2012 04:16 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Pat,

The Elmo ST-1200 is not a 2-track projector therefore you can only play the sound that's on the main track, the same goes for the ST-1200 D. Of the ST-1200's only the ST-1200 HD is a dual machine capable of playing both tracks and in stereo when connected to an external stereo system.

Whatever you are listening is only being read form the Main track, if your machine is a vanilla ST-1200.

You could play both tracks in any other 2-track machines including, the lower ST Elmo (ST-180, ST-600)

Jon

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 04, 2012 04:31 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Jon

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the playback on my Elmo. I was just wondering if I should record a new soundtrack over it and can I erase the second channel?

Thanks [Smile]

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2012 04:42 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat,

You can re-record the sound on the main track but you cannot erase the sound on the balance track on your machine.

However, you don't need to erase it as the ST-1200 cannot read it. When you play it back only what's on the main track will be heard. To the ST-1200, the second track simply doesn't exist.

Jon

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 04, 2012 05:02 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jon. I thought that might be the case.

Pat

Grant Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2012 05:44 PM      Profile for Grant Fitzgerald   Author's Homepage   Email Grant Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you even re-record soundtracks? Also how would you get it in sinc with the picture. And can you record sound on silent films?

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2012 05:56 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pasquale,

It should make very little difference running a stereo print on a mono projector unless there is extreme sound panning left or right, and then you may not hear certain effects or dialogue.

Certainly it will make no difference to the sound sync.

I notice you've put the print up for swap and think it might be best to clarify if the issue is with the sync.

If it is "out-of-sync" it is essentially faulty and will need to be re-recorded regardless of playback machine; worth doing if it is a good print although I appreciate you may not be able to do this yourself.

Best, Rob.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 04, 2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob

Thanks for the tip.

Grant

You can re-record is someone else records the soundtrack for you and you have a projector that has record capabilities.

Pat

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC