8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » BEAULIEU 708EL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BEAULIEU 708EL
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 05, 2012 03:33 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this worth it? [Confused]

http://www.eba y.com/itm/BEAULIEU-708EL-capstan-drive-SUPER-8mm-SOUND-PROJECTOR-2000-foot-capacity-/160710805749?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item256b1c48f5

I don't think so. [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 05:04 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pat,

The Beaulieu 708 EL is a very nice projector and, in my opinion, the Xenovaron 1.1 lens and the 2 -2000' reels are worth the starting bid on this auction.

However, this unit might be next to impossible to repair. Reading the description leads me to believe the seller might know exactly what’s wrong with it and probably tried to have it repaired.

A qualified technician and part for these machines are next to impossible to find and if a technician could be found, the repair cost might be prohibitive.

The Beaulieu 708El is over 30 years old and there are not many left around. The last one sold on eBay (Germany) was back on October 2011 and brought in 356 Euros. That projector was in excellent condition looking at the feedback left by the buyer.

Jon

[ January 05, 2012, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Jon Addams ]

Lee Purkis
Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 01:22 PM      Profile for Lee Purkis   Email Lee Purkis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a 708 can be beyond repair at the moment but i know from experience that it can get ultra expensive, all depending on which parts need replacing.
Most mechanical parts are not that hard to replace and the key wearing parts are still available new if you have deep pockets.
The 2 sets of sound heads alone will set you back about £200 if they are worn out. If those are worn the sound pressure plates and most of the metal film guide parts will be heavily worn as well. So that's another £200.00+ in parts without labour.
I wouldn't advise touching it unless you want to break it for spares then it has to be worth $300 if the lens is good.
I would only buy a fully restored beaulieu 708el from someone who can be trusted (i.e virtually no one that is selling one on ebay!) I would expect to pay £1500 - £2000 from someone like Bjorn andersson, that's for a stereo machine. You cant really get a fully/properly serviced example for less than this. even the ones you see for a grand via some dealers are risky & could end up costing much more in parts/labour to put right.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC