8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bought 5 projectors for $60 ... now what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bought 5 projectors for $60 ... now what?
Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 08:14 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Today I went to purchase an Elmo ST-1200 advertised at $200. I'd offered $120 but expected to pay $150. On getting there, in addition to the the ST-1200 - in its original box, a black (leather?) case, with power cord, microphone, 1200' take-up reel - there were four 16mm projectors.

The Elmo looked beautiful, very clean; on starting we heard the motor, and the bulb shone bright. However, the spindles didn't turn. For a projector advertised in perfect condition, the Elmo wasn't ready to play any kind of film. I opened it up, the belt was clearly slipping on the shutter mechanism. Then it struck me, perhaps this was good for me. A non-working Elmo ST-1200 in the hands of a non-user could diminish prices. I looked over at the four 16mm projectors coated in dust. On inquiry regarding their working capacity, the seller's reply was ambiguous. Perhaps the time to haggle had arrived, I wanted a price for all five projectors.

It was time to narrate the story of my last proudest purchase, a working Bolex SP-80 purchased for $45. On hearing the story, the seller spoke for both of us, "100? ... 80? .... 60." Guys, the lot in the pictures are my latest acquisitions.

-

Now what?
1. The original box of the The Elmo ST-1200 says it's an "8mm Sound Projector". I thought this was a Super 8mm sound projector. Am I wrong?
2. Any opinions, advice on the other 16mm projectors are greatly appreciated. I have no idea at all regarding 16mm film, and don't know a thing about these projectors. Please help me get going.

|  IP: Logged

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 08:34 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The original box of the The Elmo ST-1200 says it's an "8mm Sound Projector". I thought this was a Super 8mm sound projector. Am I wrong?
Akshay, you are correct, the Elmo ST-1200 is a super 8mm sound projector.

I think you made heck of a buy, enjoy.

Jon

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 08:40 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those green 16mm machines can have bad worm gears inside might want to take the back cover off and take a look if it is in ggod shape your in luck

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2012 09:08 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done,

Have a look at all the lenses and see if they are special ones or check if they are clear. Let us know whats written on them.
[Wink]

--------------------
At Projector Heaven the Focus is always on Detail.

____
[o:/o]<|=- dogtor@projectorheaven.com.au
//``\\
-----------------------------------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC