8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Waiting for my large order...! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Waiting for my large order...!
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 06, 2012 04:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Entering the new year 2012, I just did an unusual thing, i.e spending so much money to buy super 8mm films.

This is my first time in my life to spend that much money (almost $600) only for films. They are tens of cartoon which the seller reported to be perfect in color.

I took one of Chris Fries' best transfer on youtube (which Chris said to be printed on LPP) and I rated this youtube as 8. I gave the link to the seller and asked him to rate his own films if they were 7 or 6, by comparing with Chris' as the standard measurement.

Instead, most of films were rated 9 and 10 !!!

So they must have excellent colors!!.

I am now really eager to see them, they are already on their way to my office in Canada.

ps: don't tell my wife about the $600...promise! [Wink] [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 06, 2012 04:48 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can be coerced to keep my mouth shut for........

Have fun Winbert! Great way to start the new year. Nice to see you have your priorities in order.

pat

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2012 06:39 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, my film is being used for reference? Wow. I am always happy to help. I am curious, though. Which film did you use? Of all the films I've posted on Youtube, there are only two that I know of that were printed on LPP. "Empire Strikes Back Part 2" and "Mickey's Memorable Moments".

Now, about your purchase. Congratulations. Sounds like you're getting some great looking film, Winbert.

I sort of did the same thing right before Christmas. I have been using my eBay profits to buy 200' Disney animated digests. I missed the ones I sold last year. I am also getting a few I never had before. I have to say, they look so much better than the ex-library films. In fact, most of the films that have come from the U.K. look amazing. Brilliant colour. Buck Labs, maybe? Anyway, I will be posting them soon to the 'Tube. Stay tuned.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 06, 2012 09:24 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, because those films I purcjased were cartoon then I chose also your cartoon as the measurement (Mickey memorable moments), so there is no skin tone issue.

There are about 30 reels in the lot and they are UNUSUAL cartoons. They are not Russian cartoons or sort of obscure countries. They are American films from big studios. But as long as my 25 years of collecting hobby, I should say I never heard them released.

So wait for my next report.

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2012 12:20 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen any Disney-produced footage on LPP, and my Memorable Moments is certainly NOT! The best color was always the softer-focus Fujis from Buck labs, or maybe one of the very last extracts from Disney (don't have those either).

Who else has run into LPP?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 08, 2012 12:52 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Gian (member of this forum) has almost all Disney extracts (200') on LPP stock.

If you buy WDHM from UK most likely will be on Fuji (as you say Buck lab) or Kodak. But if you buy from France, majority WDHM there were printed on AGFA, hence no fade. If you buy from Italy, most of them are on faded stock, but the later prints are on LPP (I have one).

Now, from USA, I finally know that the later prints are also on LPP. Beside Chris Fries (you can check his youtube link) also Christian has this 400' digest on LPP. He put the screen shot on the other forum.

Anyway back to the large order that I am being wait, as I mentioned in Osi's thread titled "Little Black Sambo", these 30+ reels are exactly unusal like Osi's film, i.e the story, the controversy, the company who released, the print quality, etc.

I ran to "sacrifice" my $600 since I found on youtube most of the cartoons I purchased were banned by the US governement because of that controversy. I am not going to discuss about the controversy here, because politic is not our cup of tea in this forum. But this is truly not a Tom & Jerry or Disney that I can easily screen for my kids.

Lucky me that I am now being posted overseas by my governemnt. Just if I were in Indonesia, spending $600 is equal to my 2 months salary! My wife will straight hang me on the window if she found me doing this.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 12, 2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally received my films......!

ps: why we always think that the forwarder companies are really slow when we are expecting something?.... hahaha! LOL

pss: I alwyas love to tell the story by sharing some photos, so you also enjoy my heart beat.....LOL!

So today, I received a large and heavy box (25 lbs/11 kgs) as below:

-

Quickly I opened the box, and nothing was going to impress me since they were all in white boxes. (I am a collector who admire the box' artworks)

But I let them on the floor so I know what were they. There were around 30+ reels plus some 400' (Blackhawk and L&H "Flying Dueces" on multiple reels).

-

On the second row was the usual Disney and Woody....!

But the 4th row was all Red Fox...so good there!

Now, my eyes stuck on a plastic shopping bag which definitely they were seen as 1200 feet reels.

-

I opened the plastic bag, and found three big containers (16mm container) containing 2 * 1200' each.

So I checked one by one:

-

I did order this L&H, and lucky me to find this title already on 1200', so no need to change the reel often.

And check the second container:

-

It was King Kong (B/W from RKO) which I also ordered and happy to find on big reels like this.

And finally I found another container without any title written there:

-

It is only a plain container....but my heart beat was noisier than usual ...hahaha...is this the one that the seller promised to include??

So I opened it carefully to find:

-

I was quite surprised and quickly pull the leader.

ps: Man...I step on it and some leader got creased ! too..bad... but that 's only the leader!

....of Star Wars...yeah still feel bad ;-).....

So take an emergency screen shot ...and you can see the beautiful of 20th Century Fox logo there:

-

...and cinemascope too!

(forgive me for the bad Iphone camera)

I don't know if I can say that I've bought 30+ cartoons + 3 full features and got Star Wars full feature as a bonus, or the opposite...,

I bought a Star Wars Full feature and got bonus 30+ cartoons and 3 full features...hahaaha LOL!

But to sum up, I am a happy camper now.... and can join the club of Star Wars owner here! :-)

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 12, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Win

I'm excited just looking at your pics! Thanks for posting them. That's the fun of collecting.

Congrats!

PatD

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 12, 2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To paraphrase Chief Brody:

"You're gonna need a bigger shelf..."

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 12, 2012 02:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Your post & pictures captured exactly the feeling I get when a parcel of film arrives. Looks like you'll be quite busy with screenings.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 12, 2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See what happens when you believe in the film gods! [Eek!]

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2012 04:56 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic story, Winbert. My wife and I loved the photographic tale. Congratulations! [Smile]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2012 06:03 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy for you Winbert!

Thanks for the great "documentary" on receiving the films. I loved it!!

Enjoy your movies.

James. [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 12, 2012 06:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, thanks...

Yes I like to share this hobby by telling the story. Sometime we got a good deal which if we only take for ourselves it is not complete yet.

I am still in the office and will bring them home tonight. Will check out some of the cartoons and report them in different thread.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 12:41 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, am a little confused. Do you mean to say you were not expecting Star Wars in this purchase? And, did the seller not know the value of Star Wars and other films combined, or did he just give you all these films at a really good price?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 13, 2012 12:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akhsay,

I knew he mentioned Star Wars. But the first deal was for the Cartoons where I was offered with unusual cartoons. Just If they were Disney or Techno Films which we already heard their titles from time to time, I wouldn't be that excited.

So I agreed to buy 30+ of his cartoon at relatively low prices. Later he offered me to buy more films. At this second lot I agreed to buy several features.

Because it is King Kong and L&H which I love to collect I agreed to pay it. At the day before the shipment he decided to offer me Star Wars making all purchase to become almost $600. This was actually already beyond my budget. But I was simply thingking that even spending $600 without SW, the average cost for a cartoon was only $10 (mind you that there were King Kong and 3 L&H features beside the cartoons). So I only said to my self, if the SW didn't show up just enjoy the cartoons, they were already a good deal. But should the SW was included, think itt as a bonus!

The seller knew the price of SW. He is not a layman. He is a true super 8 collector. In fact a day before the shipment, his friend told him that SW has certain value. He told me about it but he decided to keep sending SW for me.

Lesson to learn .... There is still a person with honor in this world. He didn't change his decision just because another person try to intervene.

So...now I got the SW as he promised. He is a good man!

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 12:59 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Winbert , Thats great happy New Year! Sounds like your new year started off great. But did you really not know you were getting Star Wars It reminds me how excited I was to get my Forbidden Planet feature in the mail. I was over the moon and out in space . But I new it was coming .  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 01:19 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, the seller was extremely generous. Perhaps you will pay it forward by passing on your collection of films to others at similarly attractive prices [Big Grin]

Martin Davey
Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 06:50 AM      Profile for Martin Davey   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Davey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great collection. Money well spent!

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 08:41 AM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Willing to part with you copy of star wars?? Have to ask! lol Email me at onedelorean@yahoo.com.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 13, 2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Willing to part with you copy of star wars??
Yes Adam...! I have 3 same copies of SW on 400' from Ken. How many do you want? [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 13, 2012 12:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and here you were all worried about what your wife would think! If you ever sold STAR WARS alone, you would get far more than the 600.00 you paid for all of them!

A magnificent buy and congratulations!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 13, 2012 01:13 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one, Winbert. A bargain there indeed.

[Smile]

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2012 01:24 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,

I love these bargains you keep finding, your hard work in searching is defiantly paying off. Hope to see more pictures of the films and please tell us the titles of the Red Fox films.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 13, 2012 03:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
your hard work in searching is defiantly paying off.
Sometime my wife asking, "are you working in the office or also doing the same?" (searching on the net)... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

quote:
Hope to see more pictures of the films and please tell us the titles of the Red Fox films
I will Gerald, last night I have taken screen shots for 16 titles and another 16 will be tonight. But I still need to adjust the pixels and crop here and there, to make them fit to this forum's rules.

Just stay tune, but I will post that in different thread.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC