8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo Won't Rewind

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo Won't Rewind
Tom Pilkington
Junior

- posted January 08, 2012 04:09 PM      Profile for Tom Pilkington     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Elmo SP Hi-Deluxe and several small spools of Super 8 taken 30 years ago. The projector will not rewind as the motor will not run in reverse. The Insruction Manual is no help. Any advice?

Tom Pilkington
London, UK

|  IP: Logged

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2012 04:42 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like it could be a belt issue perhaps? I am not familiar with this particular machine but the belts in some Elmos take a very convoluted path indeed with several twists and turns. Does yours look anything like the one in this thread?

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004699#000000

Regards
John

Tom Pilkington
Junior

- posted January 09, 2012 05:54 AM      Profile for Tom Pilkington     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, John Yapp, for your prompt reply and the link to earlier posts. No, my Elmo looks quite different. I don't think it is a belt problem because the motor does not run at all when switched to reverse so I guess it is an electrical problem.

Regards.

Tom

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 09, 2012 08:09 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom,

I don't know this machine, but the Elmos I do know the direction selection is made by pressure sensitive switches activated by cams on the control knob shaft.

It's possible one of yours is no longer closing when the cam presses down on its lever.

On one of my machines I had problems with the lamp staying on after the machine was stopped (very bad: no cooling air!) and it turned out to be a similar switch for lamp control that was sticking closed.

Here's my standard statement: Do you have a voltmeter? That's the best way to figure out what's what here.

These switches are still available and I can point you to where to buy them, it's just you want to be sure they really are bad before you take things apart: it's pretty involved and not something you want to dig into if it's really something else.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Pilkington
Junior

- posted February 13, 2012 01:12 PM      Profile for Tom Pilkington     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the advice. Yes, I have a voltmeter and I can see I must settle down to use it to diagnose the problem(s). Sorry for the delay in replying.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC