8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How to start shooting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to start shooting?
Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2012 06:51 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Can you someone offer advice on actually shooting on film? What would I need to get started? I can think of a few:

1. A camera is, of course, a necessity.
2. Film to shoot on. Any idea of prices?
3. After shooting .... I don't know what to do. What would I need?

Am looking at a Bolex H8 that I might purchase. Thought, I'd start a topic to know what others think.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 09, 2012 08:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. A camera is, of course, a necessity.

Any super 8 camera can do, but better with the newer ones that can read E100D correctly.

2. Film to shoot on. Any idea of prices?

For super 8mm fresh film is only Kodak E100D (color) or Tri-X (B/W) available in the market. Price $17/each from Dwayne Photo (before other complain...."yes there is Fuji Velvia 50D, Wittner, Pro8mm, etc....but they are expensive and not for person who is just to start)

3. After shooting .... I don't know what to do. What would I need?

You need to send to the lab. The cheapest one is at Dwyane Photo (www.dwaynesphoto.com) for $12/cart + shipping. Dwayne will not process B/W film.

Please remember that one cart is only for 3 minutes at 18 fps.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2012 09:03 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Winbert. But isn't there a way of setting up a small film development process at home? You see, it'd be fun to learn the whole process.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 09, 2012 09:27 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes fun but not always cheap.

You need to buy chemicals in galon or sort of, while you are only shooting 1 or 2 carts.

Just leave that to the pro doing that, we enjoy the shooting. [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2012 09:29 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again, Winbert. Helpful [Smile]

Alexander Lechner
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 02:35 AM      Profile for Alexander Lechner   Email Alexander Lechner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Akshay!
The Bolex H8 is a Standard 8 camera. You get the film on a spool and you have to put it the right path into the camera yourself (with Super 8 you have a cartridge that you just push in); when the film is through you have one half exposed and you need to turn the film round to expose the other half. So it is some fiddling involved - if you like this, it's OK.
For home developing you need to get a processing tank that can take up to 15 m of film (for example Lomo). If you are experienced with negative film developing from still photography you will find a new challenge in developing reverse to get a positive image for projection (which you need a projector for!).
The Standard 8 film will have to be slit after drying, so you need a slitter as well (out of 10 m of 16 mm wide film you get 20 m of 8 mm)!
If you are really up for this all I'd recommend the Foma R100 and the Foma developing kit for a start.

--------------------
Alex

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 10, 2012 03:22 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if you fancy trying some Standard 8mm Black & White filming try some FORMAPAN R B/W Reversal film which you can also process at home or send to a lab. If you are starting out with film making Standard 8 is a good low cost introduction as equipment may be far less expensive.

Projector? Look for a Eumig 610D It will project Super and Std 8mm silent film.
Camera? Bolex P2 or P1
If you are working on near zero funds get a Quartz which was my very first Std 8 camera but gave me some nice results.

Happy days!

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2012 02:05 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! So much information. Thanks!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC