8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help! Remote controlled focusing system for the Elmo GS 1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help! Remote controlled focusing system for the Elmo GS 1200
Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2012 07:55 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pehaps it's a crazy idea but, has anybody attempted this? Either by wire or radio signal?

Fact is I am enthusiast of my GS 1200 Xenon, but I am primarily a S/8 filmmaker and I sometimes mix different stocks in the same film which leads to slight (but noticeable) out of focus moments. I am sort of annoyed to have to rush into the projection boot, compensate the problem, get back to the screening room only to find out the next scene has just started (with a new out of focus...); that's so frustrating!!!! Of course the ELmo 1.0 lens can't but worsen such a problem, due to its shallow depth of focus; and being so razor-sharp (when proerly focused) is even morre frustrating, paradoxically!!!!

If someone gives me advice, I could build it myself; I'm quite at ease with wires, soldering tools etc.

Any help??

--------------------
Maurizio

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 16, 2012 11:47 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you mounted an extension on the focusing knob shaft you could drive it with a motor (stepper motor?)through a gear train with a lot of reduction. It would be a decent sized project but it doesn't sound impossible.

Where it would get interesting is it would have to move out of the way so you could open up the side access to get at the gate.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted January 16, 2012 12:02 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about servos from a remote controlled airplane of car?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 16, 2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think those would work, it's mostly a question of being able to generate enough torque and slowly enough not to overshoot the point of focus. That means slow gearing.

I dunno about all this-one of the things I like about super-8 is there are no remotes to lose!

(A friend of mine once said the reason they are called "remotes" is whenever you need them that's where they are!)

[ January 16, 2012, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2012 04:51 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank ou for the reply; actually what I find most challenging is the radio section of the matter; but probably using servomotors from radio controlled cars would do.

--------------------
Maurizio

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC