8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » black and white films, do they fade?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: black and white films, do they fade?
Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2012 12:25 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i feel really dumb for asking such a simple question, but in all seriousness, will a black and white reel fade??

i am assuming the black would fade, but i have 5 different black and white films and they all still look great compared to my color prints.

thank you in advanced guys!

--------------------
All your films belong to me :) just kidding, we can shares!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 17, 2012 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer should be simple but it's not!

A great many Black and White films were printed on color stock, and ones like this gradually become Red and White and then Pink and White and eventually just White and White.

I started out in 1978 with two new Black and Whites which even then had a purplish tinge to them, and time hasn't been kind. I lucked out much later and found real Black and White prints of these same two: much, much better.

The Crimson Twins come out only when I'm feeling sentimental these days.

So the answer to your question is "It depends!"

(-Sorry!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2012 07:56 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

B&W film stocks normally don't fade the first 100years (or even longer) if stored properly. However acetate-based film stocks might be affected by the vinegar syndrome...
https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/webfm_send/299
http://www.amianet.org/resources/guides/storage_standards.pdf

Jörg

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 18, 2012 08:06 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following up Steve's point about b/w films on colour stock, the fading of course wouldn't apply (at least for about 75 years) to films printed on LPP or other low fade stocks. At least in the case of Super 8, the use of colour stocks for b/w films seemed to really take off around 1985, when there was a sharp increase in the price of b/w stock, causing it to quickly go from being considerably cheaper to being more expensive. So, as low fade stocks were already in use by then, I generally wouldn't worry about b/w Super 8 films on colour stock.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Anthony Buhay
Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2012 08:30 PM      Profile for Anthony Buhay   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony Buhay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ahhh thank you guys!!!!!

I appreciate it! [Smile]

--------------------
All your films belong to me :) just kidding, we can shares!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC